Author Topic: To Vista or not to Vista  (Read 3922 times)

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
To Vista or not to Vista
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »
Dell has had so many customers complain about being forced to switch to Vista that they've decided to offer people buying a new PC a choice between Vista and XP. The story I read said some other computer merchants are doing the same thing, but Dell made the news because of how many they sell.

The story also said the folks in Redmond weren't too happy about it, but Dell (and other sellers) evidently do have the right to offer buyers more than one OS.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: To Vista or not to Vista
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:05:28 AM »
Dell never stopped offering XP in the BUSINESS area. Folks like me that buy for businesses, need compatibility with existing servers and XP retains that.  Glad to hear that they will be offering it to the public too. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »
FYI.... Dell has now stopped shipping computers with XP.
In the business machines, you can purchase Vista Business edition and pay extra to downgrade to XP.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
I am not switching for a while! So there! lol All my goodies work great on my xp pro - why would I switch if I don't have to? I am buying programs that I like now and plan to hold on to this machine as long as possible - I am dreading the day I do have to switch and buy all new everything probably by then. Oh well.. are we sure this is progress?

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
I agree Wanda!!!
I talked my Mom into getting an new XP machine on the last day they were available.  Had worked on her for a couple months and she held out.  Til she looked up her paperwork.  Her machine is 7 years old.  Been dying for 2 years (keeps locking up!!!).  She likes XP and is familiar with it.  So am I.  So I got her an XP CPU and now she'll have several more years before she has to change it out!  That's a REALLY good thing!  Will be setting it up for her Thurs eve or Fri morning.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »
Its one reason I am so adament about maintenace. I plan to try and keep my baby around as long as possible and functioning well. The only thing I can't control is ligtning! I lost one computer to it some years ago. And when I travel and set up the work online program - that I am about to buy - I guess I will have to leave it on all the time. Something I can only keep my fingers crossed about. Darn them! XPPro is a fantastic system. If msn would stop putting weird things in their upgrades that are causing problems that would help. This being related to other posts here and my own experiences. I am switching from auto update to manual for this reason. Some of the things they have done are very annoying. I'm not buying their standard reason for upgrades for security in every case either. I am going to wait a bit and check some forums to see if future upgrades are causing problems first.

LONG LIVE XP! sigh
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
Sam, don't you mean UPGRADE from Vista to XP?  rofl

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl :yes: :yes: rofl rofl rofl
-Samantha