Author Topic: Irfanview question  (Read 8569 times)

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
Irfanview question
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »
Since I know some of you use Irfanview, I'm hoping someone can help. The entire reason I downloaded Irfanview was so that I could open EPS documents - EPS was one of the document types listed as not needing a plugin. But when I tried to open one, I got a message saying I needed the Postscript plugin. So I went back and dowloaded and installed the entire set of plugins (which was the recommendation at the site). Tried again to open an EPS image, and now was told I need to install AFPL Ghostscript. At that site, I was faced with 9 different options of files to download. Does anyone have an idea of which one I need - or do I need to download all of them? I couldn't find any hints. This is my usual problem with trying to use open source programs - the sites always seem to assume that I know a lot more than I do. I wanted to get this project (for which I need to open a few EPS images) done by the end of the day and that ain't gonna happen. But I'd still like to know.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Irfanview question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:09:24 PM »
According the the Irfanview forums, this page, 8.54 (AFPL), released 2006-05-17 is the right one.

I have not used that plugin with Irfanview.  I have other programs which open EPS files, my favorite is Xara Xtreme (Pro).
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:48:23 AM »
Yep, I got that far. This is the page I'm having trouble with (the one on the other mirror site seems to be the same). I was wondering if I was supposed to download all of the files showing beneath that release? (Needless to say, the "release notes" were a foreign language to me.)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1897&package_id=1845

If so, I may have to call it quits - I'm at home now, but I was trying to download the program very, very sneakily onto my office computer. Our (territorial, control-freak) PC manager would have a tizzy fit if she knew I'd downloaded anything from the internet. She's the only person in the office who has any kind of an image editing program on her computer. She'd gone home for the day, I was trying to finish a project that has to go to Italy that's already overdue, and I thought if I could get it sent before I went home last night it would be there for the editor in the morning and I wouldn't have another email from her this morning :surrender: . (The boss had quadruple bypass surgery yesterday - Usually I do half of the work on his manuscripts; now I'm doing it all, and there's a pile of them.) When I followed the Windows help instructions, Irfanview was the only free program that showed as an option, and since it's my work computer free was the only option.

It's a moot point right now. I sent the PC manager a message last night saying that I need those two EPS files checked to be sure they're ready to send, so she'll take care of it. A need might come up in the future, but in the meantime I'll probably uninstall Irfanview, or at least try to find a way to get rid of the icon, so when my computer next gets upgraded (guess who takes care of that?), there won't be a little demon :ss-shocked: on my desktop!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »
In our company, I am the only one with download authority, only one with image programs and much more.  I do the computer upgrades, and repairs for everyone and I LOVE  :hearts: the idea of placing a DEMON  >:D on the desktop background  when I find inappropriate programs!  rofl

You can remove your desktop icon and still keep the program installed.  Irfanview should NOT give your IT person a hissy fit.  It is clean, no scumware/adware and is not a resource hog.  HOWEVER, it is only FREE for PERSONAL use.  Companies are supposed to pay for it.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »
Companies are supposed to pay for it.
Well, for this I have to ask you to try to place yourself in the position of everyone else in your office - with you not there. I was desperately trying to find a way to open two #@$%&* EPS images. Is that forgivable? (I don't have the authority to buy anything, of course, which is why I needed something free. Don't worry - it's way too complicated for me, so I'll uninstall it.)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Putting programs on computers in a business network is touchy for many reasons (security, vulnerability, fines/legal action for improper use, speed and drag on limited resources, and many more) most of which I am sure your control-freak PC manager has beat into you so I will not judge your actions here :D I understand your situation and feel for you.  Been there, done that.

I do use some free programs on my own and others machines at the office. For example, screen capture software and PDF generators are put on ALL machines.

A free program that opens 400 file formats, is free for personal use like Irfanview, and opens EPS out of the box with no extra plugin installation is XnView. Can't WRITE all those formats, but it can OPEN them. Lovely program with TONS of options and still no spyware/scumware.  I love the browse feature that allows you to have THUMBNAILS and LABELS at the same time! Much easier to find things sometimes!  h**p://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

Of course I would not recommend you put it on your work machine as that is a business environment, but would work well for your home machine.  It is not a resource hog and so far has not triggered my firewall to contact the web. NICE. You are allowed to burn a cd of the software to distribute it.  So if you wanted to take it to another machine, say a family member's house that only has dialup, you would not have to take the time to download the installation file again. You could install the program from the cd. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:21:54 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 08:38:16 PM »
...family member's house that only has dialup...

Of course, I only have dial-up at home, but we knew that, right? I have a variety of image editing programs at home - it's only at work where I don't have image editing, can't burn a CD, etc., etc.  Some things I don't mind, such as not being able to see flash content or have audio.

I swear I read through the license agreement for Irfanview and didn't see anything about needing payment to use on a company computer. But as you can probably tell, I'm stressed out of my gourd right now, and it's certainly possible there was something I didn't see. I wouldn't purposely break a licensing agreement - even as desperate as I was that night.

(BTW, my copy of PSP-9 arrived - obviously, I haven't had time to install it.)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »
No worries!  And you don't have to have a CD burner. 
Do you have a USB key/USB memory stick? The price has REALLY come down on them. Look at sunday papers and you will see them on sale many times! They work just like a floppy disk...plug it in, copy files to it. SWEET.

You can put several standard programs on it and carry it from machine to machine.  Can install from it when necessary.  The XNView is only 4.2 MB so it won't take all night to download (even on dial-up).  I carry several programs on my stick and install when necessary.  Some programs can be RUN from a USB stick too, but I do not think this is one of them.  I use my stick to transfer files, photos, music, all sorts of stuff.  EASY!

Congrats on PSP9.  I love mine. Still my favorite bitmap image progam, hands down!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:56:34 AM »
USB sticks are great!
On my 1 gig stick bought fo $25
I have portable apps with FireFox, Thunderbird, Open ofice, Gaim, NVU
I also have Irfanview and PsPad html editor and Xampp web server to view and edit web sites using PHP.
In my install folder I have Irfanview and CSB5.
I also have AnyPassword to use all my passwords at home or work.
Even with a lot of data files I still have over 370k free.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »
LOL ....Have you been looking in my Stick???  My contents are VERY similar.
I also carry a few handy-dandy yuck removers like adaware SE (free), printKey (screen capture) and Ez thumbnails (fast thumbnail creator) and a couple other tiny but very useful files.  I have an old 128mb stick that is used only for work.  And my 1GB stick is my personal arsenal.  Since I work on so many machines, having that stuff quickly available is key.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
That's how I moved my content from my old computer to my new one (had to buy the new one because the old one's CD drive went south, so couldn't move things that way). Otherwise, I only have one computer - and you're certainly not suggesting I put anything on my office computer, I hope :ss-shocked: ! So, yeah, I still have the thing but no use for it now. Suppose I could use it for backups, but I've been fine using CDs for that - and backups are done automatically to another drive at the office.

The only reason I mentioned not having a CD burner is that it usually shocks people the most of all the things I don't have at work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:34:48 PM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 07:19:10 PM »
I can't install anything at work.
That's why I run all those programs from the USB stick.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »
Other than myself and my boss, no one else in our company is allowed use of USB sticks.

One of our previous employees was running a game from his stick during business hours.  Then I caught him taking business files another day. USB Sticks are a hazard for most companies, from loss of productivity and time on the low end, loss of data on the high end.
-Samantha