Author Topic: publishing problems  (Read 8078 times)

Offline hidden

publishing problems
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:19:44 AM »
Hi I'm new to the board and didn't know where to post this so I will start here and you guys can move it if neccesary.

Let me start with a little background.  I have been using CSB since around 2000 or so.  I really liked it because I am not a computer fan but I wanted a website for my dogs and this one was really user friendly.  I do not understand a lot of the computer langague us folks use so please be patient if I ask alot of silly questions and please try to explain it in terms a computer dummy can understand.

Here is my first problem CSB is a WYSIWHG software and when I publish a lot of the things change how can I fix this.  When I am in the software everything looks great and when I publish alot of what I have done in the past changes.

Second problem I have started to do a small website for a friend of mine and we bought the domain name and server space and when I try to publish it, it up loads to the server but when I go on line to see it, it is not there.  I've went to my host page and followed their instructions to no avail and I have read what Sami has posted on her sight but did not auite understand it

Please Help

Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
Re: publishing problems
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
... when I publish a lot of the things change...
Hi Jim, please, try to be a little more explicit, to understand the problem and let Sami help you.
What things change?

... it up loads to the server but when I go on line to see it, it is not there...

It seems that it wasn't uploaded to the correct subdirectory...
Check with your server the name of subdirectory where to load, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:42:08 AM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:57:19 PM »
Thanks Toni!  In my menu bar I have the links to diffent pages and when I publish it is in a different font and the spacing changes but just on some pages not all.  I also changed some things on my home page actually I delented a few items such as I removed my link to my guestbook and a link to an old sponsor and when I republished those items showed up just like before some things updated and it looks like some things did not.  Just to let you know I am on dial up at home and it is slow (getting satelite internet installed next week) I was just wondering if some of my changes did not make the transfer.  If you want to go look at my page the address is www.lostriverkennels.com you can see at the top my links on my home page are bigger if you click to another page you can see how it is supposed to look.  I will try to be more specific with other items as I come across them.
  As far as not being able to see my new page I believe I have found out what I'm doing wrong.  I am at work  now and will try it when I get home and see if it works.  I will post in the morning if it works.
Thanks,
Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »
Thanks Tony.  You were dead on.  More specifics needed.

Jim your 2nd post on the topic helped to identify part of your situation....

Font is specific to each individual machine. There are only a handful of fonts that EVERYONE has.  

If you use a non-standard font, and I do not have the font on my machine, I will see a REPLACEMENT, not what you intended.  Fonts come with software and hardware too (printers, scanners). If you have installed something on your machine that I do not have, then I will not have the font you are using in your design.

Fonts...Please read this page: http://www.samisite.com/test-csb2nf/id106.htm for more detail and some suggestions for how to use special fonts on your page and allow us to see them!

I also changed some things on my home page actually some things updated and it looks like some things did not.  ...just wondering if some of my changes did not make the transfer.
My heart goes out to anyone still on dial-up!  
If the whole file does not complete, the TlxTransfer.txt file would be damaged. Then the next time you publish you would be forced to upload EVERYTHING in the file again.  So I doubt that your situation is a partial transfer.

Clear all temporary internet files. Can do it a couple ways.
1) through the IE tools > Internet Options area (make sure you have some other website in the browser window, not your own when you clean it out)
2) Start Programs Accessories System Tools Disk Clean up.

Reset your viewing options in your browser window to refresh your content each time you visit.
In Internet Explorer, choose
Tools >  Internet options > Temporary internet files > Settings
Click for every time you visit.

Popped in for just a minute. Have to get back to work. Will read the rest later, visit your site (thanks for link) and respond more....   :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:45:03 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
Thanks Tony.  You were dead on.  More specifics needed.

Indeed... I was just waiting you  :TUP:
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »
Ok... looking at your page I see:
- you are using CSB 3
- publishing WITH frames turned on
- As I suspected, you are using non-standard fonts!  You are using "Harrington" font (DEFINITELY not web-safe) in many places on your home page and others for both text and headings. Anyone without Harrington on their computer will get a different, replacement font, which could drastically change the "look" of the site.  Remember that we are international too.  Tony is in Italy and though he uses CSB, he may or may not have your special font!

The links at the top of the page have been adjusted to a different size font.  Have you UNLOCKED the static text in that top border?

I deleted a few items such as I removed my link to my guestbook and a link to an old sponsor and when I republished those items showed up just like before some things updated and it looks like some things did not.  

I wandered around and looked for a link to your guestbook and did not see one.  Where do YOU see it (page/location)?  If I can not see it and you do, that means that you are not seeing the most current version of your page.  See the previous post about changing your IE settings to refresh page EVERY VISIT.  To speed up the loading of the page, your browser is probably serving up the stored files in your own computer instead of downloading the page every time. Great for dial-up, but bad for diagnosising problems on web pages.

Your Quail.wav surprised me!  I kept looking out the window beside me to see who was whistling!   rofl

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:19:16 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »
Good Morning,  Thanks for the info I will check my Font out.  Sami I went in on my computer at work and the guestbook is gone and the other items I deleted are gone.  I preview the site on my home computer and it came up funny.  I will work on this and hopefully when the get my dish put in where I can check stuff at home it will be easier.
  Now I still can’t get my new page up on the web.  I thought I had found my problem but no matter what I do I cannot see page online.  Let me give you a little background my domain name www.lostriverkennels.com is owned by OOOdomains and I publish on Netfirms.com and my new domain name www.barebonesoutdoors.com is owned by Netfirms.com and hosted by Netfirms.  When I went in to publish my new page I went to my old site clicked on publish them options – host setup – modify and copied the info making the name changes as needed and when I published it downloaded to the server but when you go online it is not there.  So I went to netfirms and did some reading and found out the default file name was index.htm not index.html this didn’t do the job either.  So I found this site and did some reading and found that the FTP Directory could be wrong so I got the initial email from netfirms and it stated the FTP directory should be blank so I tried that but again no luck.  So here I am again looking for more  help.  I will post both FTP Site information below and maybe you can help out a bit.  Like I said I am not very good at this computer stuff just enough to be dangerous.

FTP Site Name          barebonesoutdoors.com
Web Site Address      http://barebonesoutdoors
FTP Host address       barebonesoutdoors.com
FTP Host Port             21
FTP directory             www
FTP user Name           ********
FTP Password            *********
FTP confirm      *********
Default filename        index.html

FTP Site Name          lostriverkennels.com
Web Site Address      http://lostriverkennels
FTP Host address       lostriverkennels.com
FTP directory             www
FTP confirm      *********
Default filename        index.html

I have never had a problem with getting my original site to publish.  I have even recommended CSB to 2 friends and help them publish to netfirms and used the last site info as a template to help them and it has always worked but not now.  Any ideas will be welcome.

Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
when I published it downloaded to the server but when you go online it is not there.
This tells me you are either:
1) its a new account and it takes 24-48 hours before being fully viewable (new domains take time to show)
2) publishing to the wrong server (see previous post by me)
3) most likely: publishing to the wrong folder on the right server.  If you publish to a folder that is not "publicly viewable", you will not see your web pages.

Do you have FTP software? Or do you have a control panel at your host that you can connect into your website to see the folders?

I would like to know the FOLDER LISTING of the main folder (when you connect directly to your domain level). You may see many listed, or just two or three folders depending on the host.  A few you may or may NOT see are:
logs
mail
public_ftp
tmp
public
public_html
html

Usually the list helps to confirm the ftp directory.  My host has these:
logs
mail
tmp
public_ftp
public_html

and the ONLY one that CSB should ever connect into is the public_html folder!
That is the folder that specifically holds the publicly viewable web pages.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
Hi Sami,
  I have a control panel that I can log into.  I am now in my control panel the only 2 files I see is www and cgi-bin.  I am so confused now I tried to create a public_html file and it would not let me do it.  I will post more later my dial up is sooooooooooooooo slow right now.  Due to weather they have not installed my satellite yet.  I will check in later if this is not enough info ask me more questions cause I eed help.

Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »
Jim, www is what you want. It should be a folder, not a file. Double-click on www to open it. Then upload your website to this folder.

If there is another folder inside the www folder, such as public_html, then this is the one to upload your website to. But this would be unusual. Usually you will have a www or public_html folder which is the one to open and upload your website to.

Some web hosts use www as the public folder, some use public_html, and a few use something different. In your case it is www.

If you are still unsure, let us know. We can have a look inside your control panel if you give us permission.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
Jim, as per your PM, I have had a look at your File Manager. Your problem is very easy to fix!  :yes:

For the benefit of others, I also post my PM reply to you here:

You can stop worrying, your solution is easy! You have uploaded (published) your website "almost" correctly. Actually you were a bit unlucky it did not work!

In your Control Panel File Manager, there is the folder "www", and inside that www folder, is another folder "barebonesoutdoors.com" This folder is where your website should be uploaded.

So your directory looks like this:  /www/barebonesoutdoors.com

You have published your website to both these folders, but you only need to publish to barebonesoutdoors.com

So using file manager,you can delete the files inside the www folder, but DO NOT delete the folder barebonesoutdoors.com (let me know if you want me to do this for you)

Although you have published your site "almost" correctly to barebonesoutdoors.com, you need to change the default index page name from "default.htm" to "index.htm". You do this in CSB publish settings. (I think you know how to do this because when you published incorrectly to www folder, you used index.htm)

Here is a quote from your web host instructions:

Ensure that your homepage is named index.htm. The index.htm page should be uploaded into an area within your www directory. For instance, if yourdomain.com is being forwarded to your /www/yourdomain.com/ folder, then place your index.htm inside /www/yourdomain.com/.

So, to get your website up and running, all you need to do is this:

Republish your site with CSB. Set the directory to publish to /www/barebonesoutdoors.com (just as you have done before), and set the default index page to "index.htm"

Let me know how you go, and I will have a look.

cheers
Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
 :TUP: :clapping: :TUP:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
Thanks Rick I will let you take care of this for me and then I will republish and see how things go frrom there.  I apprciate all your help, you to Sami.  I will wait for your reply before I republish. 
This is probably not the last of my problems so stayed tuned for more.
Thanks again,

Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:00:11 PM »
We are here to help when you need.    :)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
Jim, I have deleted all the unwanted files from your www directory (but not the folder barebonesoutdoors.com, you need that!).

So go ahead now and republish with CSB in the normal way.

Remember to publish to the barebonesoutdoors.com folder (set the directory in CSB publish settings to /www/barebonesoutdoors.com), and also, in the publishing settings, set the default homepage to index.htm.

You have used both those settings when you published before (although you did not use them both at the same time, or it would have worked before!). So I am sure you know how to do that. If not, let us know.

I look forward to see your site live soon!

Rick

Offline hidden

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 06:35:36 AM »
Well I goofed it up again and it still is not up.  Rickasaurus can you go in and look again I think I published to the wrong folder again!  Here is what my publish page looks like now.

FTP Site Name          barebonesoutdoors.com
Web Site Address      http://barebonesoutdoors
FTP Host address       barebonesoutdoors.com
FTP directory             /www/barebonesoutdoors.com
FTP confirm      *********
Default filename        index.htm

I missed typed the directory name, I put the . after www instead of the / and then I left the l on htm on the default page.  I was in a hurry and didn't pay any attention and goofed if up again.  I need to learn patience whe it comes to this computer stuff.

They are installing the satellite system today. (good luck we still have a foot of snow on the ground and my roof)  I will be gald to get it my  computer is so slow on dial up it is not even funny.

again thanks for the help!

Jim Beasley
a.k.a. Pointerman

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
Jim, I can't be sure exactly what you have done. The default.htm has disappeared from the barebonesoutdoors directory, but has not been replaced by index.htm. There are no index files at all.

I was able to connect to your server with FTP so at least those settings are correct.

To get you up and running, please send me your tlx file and I will publish it for you, and we can take it from there. I will send you my email address in PM.

Rick

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
Jim, thanks for sending me your tlx file. Your site is now up and running!  :)

There was one unusual aspect which initially had me tricked because I did not notice it. The directory in which your website has to be uploaded is named "barebonesoutdoors.com". It is unusual for a folder to have a name which includes ".com". When I saw that I changed the name to delete the .com, but it would not work without it so I changed it back again. Just something to remember when using that web hosting company.

Since I am using CSB5, and you are using CSB3, you will not be able to use my modified tlx file, so no point in me sending it to you. You will need to update the publish settings yourself using CSB3. Below is a screenshot of the main publish settings page. Be sure to copy it exactly (your password is unchanged):

If you need any help when the time comes to upload changes, don't hesitate to ask here on the forum. But if you have set up the publish settings correctly, updates should go through smoothly (I did one test update which was fine). It should be even better with satellite instead of dialup!

cheers

Rick
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:16:34 AM by rickasaurus »

Offline hidden

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:45 PM »
Well I'm up and running but I am not very happy we got the basic package and the host has advertisements all over it.  I also have a premium package for my toher website and I have a ton of space left so I want to publish the www.barebonesoutdoors   site ther also, but as usual I don't know how.  I have asked Sami today and am waiting on her reply but I thought I would share this so other people might learn.  Do I need to go into control panel under the barebone site and delete the folder barebonesoutdoot.com folder and create a folder under the www domain.  Looking forward to hearing from you guys and gals.
I want to thank you all who have replied to my problems and I am learing everyday.

Good news they installed my satelite Wednesday my I never new I could surf this fast loads fast and moves fast not quite as good DSL or cable but a lot  and I mean a lot faster than dial up.  I am one happy camper!!

Thanks a bunch.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:50:29 PM by pointerman »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
I will answer your question publically.

You have a lot of space at your host.
You want to have more than one site at that host, using the same storage space.
You may or may not be able to do it depending on the rules at YOUR host and the type of account you have with them.

Many hosts do not allow that: One website per space. My primary host (TotalChoiceHosting.com) has this limitation to protect the servers and know EXACTLY who is really hosting on the webspace. They offer "Reseller" packages which allow you to have one space with many sites on it.  You are able to divide your hosted space into pieces, assign Xmb to site 1, xmb to site 2.  "reseller" packages can be used for many sites by one person, or you have the option to "rent" your rented hosted space to other people so they can share your space. YOU are responsible for what happens in that space so practice caution re: who you share with....

Some hosts allow you to publish to different SUBDIRECTORIES that are called SUBDOMAINS.

A subdomain is also known as a "third-level" domain, and is a great way to create memorable web addresses for various areas of your site. Example:
  h**p:// subdomain . domain . com
   subdomain=3rd level, domain=2nd level, com=1st level

Say your web address is h**p://www.assortedstuff.com, and you created a subdomain for your catalog. After you set it up, the web address would be h**p://catalog.assortedstuff.com. This would go to a different area of your site than just h**p://assortedstuff.com

Technically, a subdomain is a subdirectory inside your main website- you would publish the same way!The visitors could reach the area using either method:
Preferred: h**p://catalog.assortedstuff.com or
Like a sub: h**p://assortedstuff.com/catalog

But a subdirectory is not treated the same as a subdomain. It can only be reached by this method. h**p://assortedstuff.com/catalog.

If you want to use multiple DOMAIN names to point to different areas of your storage area with most hosts, including TCH, you have to use a reseller account. You can not have a DOMAIN name point to a subdomain or subdirectory. Example: If you build a site for bakery.com and you want to store it in your area, it must be a reseller account so you can point the domain name bakery.com to your storage area and still host your assorteddtuff.com, etc.

If your host allows you to publish different sites to your subdomains, CSB can handle the publishing.
Your host would tell you how to set up the DNS so your visitors end up at the right part of your web space, if they allow it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:13:33 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha