Author Topic: Facebook and MySpace  (Read 7010 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Facebook and MySpace
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »
Ok... I finally have signed up for both of these.  No info, no special pages.
Just signed up and posted my picture on Facebook with a link to samisite.com available to my "friends".
Will finally allow my online and real worlds cross.  :)
Online friends of Samisite will recognize me among the pages listing "Samantha Conway" identities. I put my dragonfly in the bottom corner if my photo.   ;)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Facebook and MySpace
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »
So far I have resisted the pressure although most of my family have done it. Let us know if you find it useful or a pain in the neck!
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:16 AM »
Well, in the course of 3 days, I have found 3 long-lost college friends and one high school friend on FB.  They were not on classmates.com.  Three of 4 have already responded and it's really nice. Positive experience.

So far I have resisted the pressure although most of my family have done it.
Me too.  I have resisted strongly and finally gave in to the basics.  Don't have any desire to be 'active' like some people. But finding a few people that I haven't seen/heard from in years would be nice.   Won't have hundreds of friends attach to my profile. In fact, I am surprised to have 10 friends attached. That's more than I ever expected.  :yes:  I am not a social type person in real life. Don't meet a lot of people in my life circle....

Really like the controls....allow people to see, not see your info. Allow everyone, friends of friends, friends, or can include/exclude individuals from certain pieces of info.  Can even block certain people from seeing you at all on FB, if they have a profile online.

Have gotten 2 friend requests from people I do not know.  One is a friend of one of a good old friend. The other I have not heard of but is a friend of a friend. Don't know that I will allow them.
I sent a friend request to one of the CSB users that has posted here on the forum and was accepted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:04:02 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:18:25 AM »
I'm resisting but maybe ... :resistance: Resistance is futile and I will also be assimilated
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
:borgconvert:

Resistance is Futile!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Cool! I forgot about that one. :borgconvert:

BTW, is it possible to swap the "Quick Reply" at the bottom of this page/Topic page to the full Reply with all the Smileys?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
To get the full reply window you have to click the REPLY button.  Can't put the full reply on the bottom.  But if you know the codes for the smilies, you can input any smilie you want.

In my PROFILE/LAYOUT personal preference, I have the Quick Reply dropdown set to do not show at all.  Then my only choice is clicking the REPLY button.  :)  Makes sure that I always get the full reply window when I want to respond.  That smilie was listed/shown in HIDDEN area.. ;)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »
Good idea to 'hide' the Quick Reply that way. I've just set mine to don't show all as well. In addition I've also set the newest posts at the top and will try that out. Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
I have been on facebook a week now. Have been constantly amazed at who else is online and how small the world actually is. Recently came across one person that was at the same college at the same time as me who is also is a long-time family friend of one of my co-workers several states away. Who wouda thunk it! This has been a short but very fun ride.

It's been nice to find familiar faces. But the downside is that Facebook lists people I think I should know...right time, right place. The name sounds so familiar but the picture does not ring a bell. How do I know this person...?? Did I even know this person, I think I did...?? Or were they friends of people I knew...?? Wracking my brain for the past week. More than 25+ years have past and memories slip.

Been playing FARMVILLE on FB.  Building a little farm, getting neighbors, hoping to expand my farm a little.  FUN and addicting. Crops are planted and you have limited time to harvest before you lose the crop (wither and die).  Of course you can plant things that take hours or days to mature. (Harvest time = maturity time so if your crop takes 2 days to grow, you have up to 2 days to get it harvested before it dies.)

There are so many games on FB and I am limiting my game access to only the one so I only spend minutes a day on the site instead of hours!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »
Oh sammy - I am scared of putting a picture on facebook - and so forth I just sent out an alert about the dangers of facebook to my email list. I did an article on it. But I blogged it also on a site where I would rather not have it related to my profile here in a search etc. So if you want to know more info plz let me know and I will pass it on privately. FB is a very sketchy site for what they do with your info, who started it and their face recognition tech. Also check their user terms. They own every thing and can put it anywhere they like. If they have an app called Yoville, don't ever play that. It is hacked constantly and there are even videos people can watch as to how to hack it. People pay money for things and then the owners don't even respond. Even the free stuff gets stolen. It is crawling with hackers. I also wrote blogs on this as well. Just a heads up on that one.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
I WOULD like to read your information Wanda, thank you.

Unfortunately, I understand that ANYTHING I put out there is free game. All information can be used in some form or fashion.

I am realistic about my facebook and other web interactions.  I expect that ANYTHING I put on the web can be searched and stolen at some point. For the most part, I could post my profile info here and you would not find anything I have not already said publically on GlobalSCAPE or samisite forum.  Exception: on facebook, I have noted my high school and college attendence so I could find former classmates. (Even the birthdate they have listed for me is NOT my birthday. I lied.  :-[)   THIS is my profile:  (VERY BORING!!!)

Sex:     Female
Relationship Status:     Single
Political Views:     moderate to conservative
Religious Views:     Christian

Interests:
    computers, website work, graphics,
    long-term hobbies: crafts, quilting, embroidery, painting (when I get time)
Favorite Music:
    Not the thump thump thump of cars beside me in traffic!
Favorite TV Shows:
    M*A*S*H is still one of my all-time favorites.
    StarTrek series (except Enterprise), StarGate SG1
    The Closer, Monk, The Mentalist, Lie To Me, Project Runway, Challenges on the Food Channel (Cake/Sugar/Candy)
Favorite Movies:
    Star Trek movies, Anything by Pixar,
    Tom Hanks and Ron Howard movies
    All-time favorite romantic (chick-flick): Pride and Prejudice 1995 Mr Darcy has a wonderful voice!
    Superhero Movie: Superman made me believe he could fly (flying sequence on soundtrack is still favorite uplifting music), but Ironman stole my heart.
Favorite Books:
    Anything in audible format for my mp3 player and auto.
    Who Moved My Cheese changed my view of the world, actually quit a job after reading it!
    Last hardback read: Harry Potter 7
    Paperback: anything I can find to read (except westerns and horrors)
Favorite Quotations:  
    Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
About Me:
    Prefer to smile and laugh.
    Don't like mean spirited people.
    Get a charge out of helping people.
    Cherish my family and animals.
    Love the color purple.

- I do not use facebook as a diary as some people do.  Some folks feel the need to tell others everything they do...eating dinner, cleaning dishes, doing laundry, playing with kids, walking the dog, mad at ..., etc.  I do not.  I play a couple games (Farmville and Hatchlings) and have found a few friends I had lost touch with. I would not use facebook as a place to vent.   :)  If I wanted to go on RECORD about something, I would do so on samisite, either in a section of the forum or with my own blog.  Generally speaking, I don't think my daily life, my little opinions are of interest or consequence to anyone else so I don't twitter/tweet or blog.

- I don't PAY for ANYTHING attached to facebook.  My FarmVille farm is being built totally with the coins I earn in the game and I will NOT pay real $$ to play a game out there.  If that limits my involvement in certain games, that is fine with me!  If my stuff is stolen in a game it would irritate me, but since I am not PAYING for anything, I would just move on to another game.  

- I do not donate or "help" others by using paypal or any other form of real money.

- The picture I use for my profile is mine and they do not claim rights to the photo.  They changed the language in terms because there was such an uproar about the issue you mention.  But even if they DID take my profile shot, and the two other images from college days wearing my parachute, and out to dinner with Frank Abagnale ("catch me if you can" fame), they are not valuable or useful.  I would not post one of my dragonfly shots or anything I would not want taken.

These are the three photos on my facebook profile.  See if you object:

I am on the left.  This was my third skydiving jump.  
Back then, they did not make you do tandem.  
I was jumping alone, but on static line while learning to pull the cord

I am the second person from the left with long brown hair and HUGE glasses. Frank is in the center.  Leonardo DiCaprio played him in the movie with Tom Hanks as the FBI agent.

SO.... other than my game status posts, you have now seen my Facebook Profile!   LOL   
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
I personally love the photos! Wow woman you are looking good! What are you doing? i need to  try it what ever it is. :-D  >:D

I will send you my mail - I have to find it in my archives.  My concerns are deeper than the obvious. I know you are very much so savvy enough to be aware of the general dangers of networking sites. At least I want to share with you what I know. It is the same info I sent my family and you folks feel like my family too. :) If you want to share any or all of it you are welcome to. It might not concern you as much as it does me. If I get a facebook, it will be bogus. lol Just something to keep up with my friends who already know who I am with but without really revealing myself. I didn't blog this info in whole so I can't just send you a link. I will be back later with it and put it in a pm.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »
Cool!    Glad to have your insights.  (Missed them!)  Look forward to the email.

Me looking good? :noshake:    Just get fat...stretches the skin so less wrinkles!   rofl

Actually, when I am home, I will post another pic to this thread...side by side with my profile shot.
You will probably be as amazed as I was by it.  Age 4 and age XX look the SAME except hair color!!!   :ss-shocked:
Same tilt of the head, smile, everything...kinda creepy and not doctored in any way.
I could never deny any of my younger photos...!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
What a coincidence, I was also resisting until... yesterday!

Really, I started my registration two years ago to be able to see a pic album of a Canadian friends, but something went wrong during the registration, (as usual with me... :-[) so I quit.

I finished it yesterday, just to be in touch with some friends and neighbors left behind in Venezuela ten years ago, but my profile is almost empty of info, even without photo...

Wanda, I would be also glad receiving that information, if possible. My daughter and nephews are going crazy with this stuff...You never know...  Thanks

Samy, you look wonderful to me  :flowers:

Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »
I am still holding out! Don't see the need. But all the family is absorbed by it.  :unsure:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
As promised:
Sami at 4 and Sami at current:

Told you that they were the same except for hair color.  :yes:

Samy, you look wonderful to me 

That's so sweet.  Thanks. 
I think I am quite generic (ordinary) looking. Blend in easily in a crowd. I am often told that I look like someone else.  :-\

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:19:13 AM »
Very cute!  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 07:51:08 AM »
Wow sammy! You do look the same! lol I wish I did! lol I have to admit I forgot about looking for the face book mail I sent. I will see if I can find it right now -- and send it via pms. If I can't find it quickly, I will look later - gosh I have to say hopefully I will remember. lol.