Author Topic: Compared to Payed for Forums  (Read 4889 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Compared to Payed for Forums
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »
Lately I have been looking at a lot of forums and one today that I especially liked and thought might have been someone's version of SMF was actually V Bulletin. I don't know what they offer that makes the $160.00 they get for a lifetime permit to place one version of their software on one host worth it. Looking around, I didn't notice anything that SMF doesn't have. They let you lease it for one year for .. mmm I think it was 90.00. I just thought again what a good deal SMF is. I wish I had time to customize but I don't and I don't think it matters to me so much because it is really doing a nice job. Glad I found out about it here and gave it another try.  :clapping:

I really should go make a donation over there.  :idea:

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Compared to Payed for Forums
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
Years ago, I thought several things about open source and FREE programs.
Can't be as good.
Can't be as safe.
Must be cobbled together.
Or still under construction and not ready for prime time.
Or full of ads/spamware/scumware that pays for the program.

I was wrong.
So far I have had wonderful results with several free programs and scripts.
Rarely do I find one that disappoints me with yuck in it. (I read reviews/comments from other users before downloading).

SMF is one of those that gives you A LOT! And I am thankful for all the people that contribute to the program!  Glad to spread the word about it.  It may not fit for everyone. But it fits my needs just fine. :)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )