Author Topic: setting a category under a board topic  (Read 12587 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
setting a category under a board topic
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Sam - like under your graphics board where categories are listed - I can't figure out how to do it -  :surrender: have tried several things.. can you tell me how? THANKS!
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Re: setting a category under a board topic
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
ahhhhhhhhh Sami never mind its a child board I was asking about. der!  I really thought I tried it and it didn't look like yours but I may have accidentally hit place after rather than child of.

OOps :-[

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »
Yes...CHILDREN are welcome on SMF boards  :D

(I tweaked my CODE to say CATEGORIES instead of Child Boards on the index page because I really disliked seeing CHILD BOARDS.  Much prefer CATEGORIES, even though they are the same thing.  ;))
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
I agree Sam, the term child board is not the best and also a bit confusing. There are pirvate areas for kids and teens in the forum I am setting up and I bet a few people will think that it means those boards are for children at first glance. I would change mine if I could figure out where or find the time to lol. The things I have had to do to make this site work under the SSL level and the time it has taken to figure it out has been taxing. Plus the forum took me a whole day and a half to set up due to the number of child boards and types of memberships. I am almost done with this project and I can hardly wait for it to be over! It should have been two weeks ago.. well over as much as it can be.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
I bet a few people will think that it means those boards are for children at first glance
YUP!  :yes:

I would change mine if I could figure out where

When I get home, I can look at my notes about WHAT FILE to adjust.  It's one tiny entry and easy.

UPDATE.... Ok. Like I said, TINY entry in only one file:
Code: [Select]
In index.english.php of your theme find:

CHANGE THIS:
$txt['parent_boards'] = 'Child Boards';

TO THIS:
$txt['parent_boards'] = 'Categories';
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:07:15 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 06:21:38 PM »
Hi thanks so much Sam ! That is awesome to know.  :D Now, if I could just find the theme script... lol  :-[ Is it in the admin area or do I find that in the forum files area on the host?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 07:45:54 PM »
in the forum files area on the host
open themes folder
open default folder
open languages folder

Look for file:
index.english.php
That is the file that needs the tweak.

use your FIND feature to find this line:
= 'Child Boards'
and you can update it.

Remember that you should make a copy of the file BEFORE you change it so if you tweak the wrong thing you can put it back the way it was!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:13:19 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:56 PM »
Ok thank you so much again Sam, I really think this will help people not to be confused.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
Glad to help! :yes:

NOTE: leave all other instances to CHILD or CHILDREN ALONE!  SMF will still refer to CHILD BOARDS in all scripts, and in the ADMIN area.  You are only changing the WORDS on the index page.  Mine currently says categories.  What are you going to label yours?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
I came in to get your instructions so I haven't done it yet but am almost ready to. I was thinking due to the content of this particular board of using "Sub Topics" Thanks again the more I see that child board thing the more sure I am it will cause confusion! lol

I am almost ready to turn the site over to the other board members for their first testing and to comment on what I have put in there. I have had at least the ability to just create what ever I wanted and took the liberties to set it up based on what I think should be there or that is OK. I will have at least one more tester come in after they have approved the contents or I have made changes. I don't know how net savvy the two men that fill the remaining three positions are. The lady who will test used to be a coder or something like that so she should be a helpful tester. I am hoping she will be into becoming a moderator as well.

But good grief you know, I keep finding a few more things to do or change or edit every time I think I am almost done. You told me once that I "love this stuff"  LOL I need a reminder about now 

balloonarg
:schip: 

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
oh boy - I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up before I do it.  :unsure: I used ftp to find the files since go daddy won't let me access them through their slacker control panel other than to just see a file named that there. I  clicked the file and was alerted that it couldn't be figured out what program created the file and asked what I wanted to open in. I chose notepad and made the change.

Then - remembering one of my past experiences (ahem) I thought I better ask specifically - do I just rename the file index.english.php and then hit save and move it into that folder as a replacement. When it opened and had a weird numerical name assigned to it of 01286dbe even though it was the index.english.php file that I clicked. I sure wouldn't want to redo everything I already did - I don't think I could take it.  :ss-shocked: :noshake:

ahh and I went for Subtopics not Sub Topics as I said above lol I think I was lost in thoughts of someones impending vacation and focused on the Sub Tropics lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 07:02:03 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:29:12 AM »
I still haven't made that change yet .. in case anyone knows the answer I don't want to goof up I've spent a week now on the forum alone and since I never did figure out for sure how to back up the forum my goodness..

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »
Does go daddy's slacker control panel give you a way to make a backup?

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
I did download the forum folder to my computer. I read the SMF docs on back up and they suggest that or creating a back up folder in the host. I just don't know if what I see in the forum folder is only the program and settings or the directory too. I think I could create another folder on there via ftp and then move a copy of everything in that folder to the new back up folder as well. There is just so much in it. I have two folders one that is my forum name and one that is php uploads - so I believe the forum folder is what should be backed up.

So to answer your question - no they don't make it easy to back up via their control panel but I could do it ftp I think.

I also need to back up and update my directory to match the newest program I installed and occasionally receive errors from SMF about the need to do so. Using SMFs instructions isn't working - they give an address to navigate to and click a button that leaves me with nothing but page not found -- and I am only guessing due to something or the other about the way go daddy places things in areas that I can't see or something. I have written to their forum about that and haven't heard back.. oh but that is another subject sorry...  :-[

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 04:20:09 PM »
Sam, - I hate to bother you but my forum is getting ready to open and I am wondering - so if I open that file in notepad and make the change to sub topics - do I then reload it on the host as the notepad file and change the name to the original file name?

I wasnt sure because of it asking me what to open the file in and my choosing notepad

sorry im a dim wit in this area..

I don't want to screw it up now.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »
I have been advised via a member of smf forum to open with word pad - save a copy of the original - make the change and upload so that is what I am off to do -wish me luck  :unsure:

Returning.... as my luck would have it - I guess when I chose to open it with notepad before it left that setting to open such files and wouldn't give me the choice. So, I just went for it in notepad. So far so good. It shows up sub topics - but the person in SMF said they sometimes had problems with using notepad so I hope - with the opening mails going out today - I didn't mess up.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:27:05 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 10:05:46 AM »
Wordpad has some formatting.
Notepad is no formatting.

I prefer notepad, if the file is small enough to be opened in notepad.
I usually use my HTML editor these days for this kind of editing.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
The member who advised me to use word over notepad was because of the way notepad wraps text it had caused some problems with the scripts and because it will save the file in the pdf extension. He also reminded me ( der) to just right click a pdf file next time and choose open with and then select what I want to open it with. Sometimes its the most basic beginner functions that my memory bank has the hardest time with.  ???

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »
Your teacher needs a teacher. ;)
notepad word wrap can be turned OFF before you open any document.

Open notepad
format, uncheck wordwrap.
then use file OPEN to open your file.
Notepad will not insert extra characters if you turn off the wrapping.

You can also add to your SEND TO function when you right click...
Ex, if you contantly place a copy of your documents on another drive (on a network, we are constantly sending to our temporary folder on the server for transfer to other computers) you can have that location put on the list of send to (like A: , etc)
If you want to learn how to do that, let me know.
-Samantha