Author Topic: Link to a PDF File  (Read 10602 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Link to a PDF File
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
I want to add a link to a PDF file so that visitors to my site can click on the link and open the PDF file.

I looked all over this site and Ken's site to no avail.  :banghead:
I have CSB 5.
Can you lead me step by step please?  I'm feeling pretty stupid right now having spent the last couple of hours trying to do this "simple" thing.  Thank you.  Grampy Peter

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Link to a PDF File
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:11:34 AM »
I posted similar info on the GlobalSCAPE board back in 2005.  This thread definitely needs to go into the Frequently asked questions area so I will move it.

WEBGEMS were the Trellix way of doing special features: music, downloads, html codes in a build your own webgem, etc.  In CSB, we have the ability to do the same things.  Use the INSERT menu on your toolbar to insert images, animated graphics, downloadable files, music, all sorts of goodies.

The old Build Your Own Webgem (BYOG) from Trellix became INSERT > HTML code.  (in CSB5 it is INSERT > ADVANCED HTML > HTML CODE but we shortcut instructions to INSERT >HTML)

3 WAYS TO have a downloadable PDF file: You will probably use #1 or #2.

1) USE THE INSERT > FILE DOWNLOAD LINK (in Trellix it's the webgem for file download) Choose your file and publish.

2) USE FTP TO UPLOAD A FILE: (best option if you have A LOT of files)
When you use a 3rd party FTP program to upload your special files (swf, music, pdf, image for slideshows, etc) you can place them into folders on your website that mean something logical if you like. You can place all your pdf files in a pdf folder, or separate them by topic, etc. Or you can use a File Manager if your website control panel offers that choice to upload files. Then in your CSB page, simply link to them either from a web page with a simple link (use URL style link) or from a script, just use a full URL address.

3) USE CSB/TRELLIX TO UPLOAD A FILE AS PART OF A CODE:
(usually this instruction is for FLASH .swf or image files for slideshows, etc) When you use CSB/Trellix to upload and link to a file (swf, music, pdf, image) as part of a code, you place the code into an INSERT HTML, then place the file into the WEB COMPONENTS part of the insert HTML. To find the file, the code must be modified to put ^GEMDIR/ in front of the file name.
RESULT: CSB/Trellix publishes the code AND your file to your website.
ADDITIONAL INFO: You should look at the VIEW SOURCE on the page with the code. You will not see ^GEMDIR/ in the code. That is placed into your code to tell CSB/Trellix to create a SUBDIRECTORY to hold that webcomponent. The source code on the page will show the swf file can be located at an address that looks like HTMLobj-123/yourfile.swf
LINKING: If you want to link to the file from somewhere else on your site, or as part of another script, you would have to use the true URL address to link to the file, example: http://www.domain.com/HTMLobj-123/yourfile.swf You would NEVER use the ^GEMDIR/ outside of the confined space of the CSB INSERT HTML interface! To link from one Insert HTML to another is tricky but can be done. Insert the swf file. Publish. Using the View source get the proper url address of the swf file. Then when you put your other code in you can use the true address of the swf file in the code. You use ^GEMDIR/ for the files that are inserted only into the CURRENT insert HTML code.

By the way, when you PUBLISH, if you use instruction #1 or #3 above, remember to UNCHECK the option to publish to a local HTML file if you have defined it in the publishing options. If you do that, your HTML-obj folder will publish fine.   [This box is helpful as a setting for previewing your site, but not for publishing your site!]

File > Publish web site > Options > HTML Directory > Uncheck this box when you publish.

You can easily recheck it again when you want to use the preview function again.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:29:51 AM »
Hi Samantha, thanks for the prompt reply.  I used option 1.  It worked :clapping:.  I think I tried that before but after I went through the steps of opening the download link and entering the pdf file name and a link label and said ok, I thought it did not work because the link text did not act as a link.  I did not realize that it only becomes an active link after you "publish."  That last step is what hosed me up. ;)

Anyway, as usual, you came through with the answer.  You are doing a great job at this support stuff.   :)
Have a Merry Christmas.  Grampy Peter

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
Another way you can add a PDF or other type file is using a CONTAINER PAGE.
Using the Container page to hold a "Captured Resource"  allows you to upload your files (pdf or others) to your website.

Info from the CSB help section:
Captured HTML pages are stored within CuteSITE Builder container pages. Typically you capture one page of HTML, plus any frame sets or picture files it includes, per container page, so that you can use CuteSITE Builder to arrange the resulting pages in the map and create links among them.

Like embedded objects within CuteSITE Builder, and unlike files or URLs referenced within container pages, such captured pages are wholly contained within your CuteSITE Builder file. Any changes you make are not propagated back to the location from which you captured the HTML.
Use the following procedure to capture HTML pages.

1.   Right-click in the map and choose Insert Container Page.
2.   Use the Contents drop-down to choose Captured Resource.  The Captured Resource Editor appears, with a blank list of pages. The next steps refer to the menus within this editor.
3.   Choose Insert > From Disk.
4.   In the dialog box that displays, browse to any local or network location from which you want to capture files.
5.   In the dialog box, highlight the names of files you want to include, and then click Open. The list of files appears in the left-hand window. Each filename is followed by its MIME type, which the browser uses to determine how to display it.

6.   Select the name of the file that you want to initially display when this container page is accessed. In a sense this file serves as the "home page" for this group of captured resources.
7.   Choose Edit > Set Default. A hand-shaped default indicator appears opposite the file you chose. You must choose some default file, but can change the file in the future.
8.   You can choose commands from the Edit menu to add, delete, and rename files, and find text within them. You can also directly edit the contents of files, as long as they are small enough (under 64 Kbyes) to appear in the text editing window. When you click the name of a text or picture file that is not too large, its contents appear in the right-hand window.

9.   Click File > Save & Exit to return to the Container Page Properties dialog.
10.    Click OK. CuteSITE Builder pulls the specified resources within a new container page.
11.    You can work with this new page as you would any other CuteSITE Builder page: rename it, move it in the map, link to it, add links or narration in its border, remove the border, apply a new page layout, and so on.
12.    Save your CuteSITE Builder file.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• ???
  • I am new here.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
Thank you for this tutorial. It worked like a charm. I am still so bummed that they discontinued CSB - I just love this program.
Do you know of any other programs that can be used to build and edit websites that are WYSIWYG like CSB? I've bookmarked this website and, once again, thanks.

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:15 AM »
Post CSB, people are using a range of different products, but my recommendation is unquestionably Xara Web Designer 7. This is conceptually very similar to CSB, but a generation more advanced. It has great graphics, and you can easily position elements anywhere on the page, without the formatting difficulties we know well in CSB.

I suggest you download a trial and have a try. Unfortunately, you cannot convert your CSB-made websites, but you can't do that with any other software either. Xara has an excellent user forum, and we can also support you here on Samisite Forum.

Here is an example of a website I have almost finished, made with XWD www.shanghaiprivateguide.com/

Give Xara a try www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

Rick
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:04:27 AM by rickasaurus »
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Yep.  I agree with Rick.  Take a look at the detailed comments I posted about Xara's programs here:

http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=827.msg11007#msg11007

http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=847.msg14693#msg14693

Xara Web Design Premium (XWDP7)    (don't bother with the non-premium version)

Xara Designer Pro (XDP7)  (the all-inclusive web and photo program)

MY comparison chart is here:  http://www.awebwench.com/recommended.htm
recommendation link is the bottom line of the chart.

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
Xara has released a NEW VERSION of WEB DESIGNER!!!     Version 8 has a new name Web Designer MX and Web Designer MX Premium (Best bet: GO PREMIUM!!!)
http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/whatsnew/
HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:46:20 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha