Author Topic: HURRICANE  (Read 3531 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
HURRICANE
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
Well here we go - 2008 hurricane season.
Last year we were spared the brunt of the nasty weather.
But now Florida is in the path of a hurricane again.

The upper right, (northeast side) of a hurricane typically has the worst weather and the greatest risk of spinning off tornadoes.  Central Florida is likely to have this.

Luckily, this storm looks like it will be just a cat 1.  If it picks up speed we will be drenched and windblown but ok.
If it slows down, it will gather more water and get stronger.

Prayers go out to those in the direct path.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: HURRICANE
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »
 :boogie:  :boogie:  :boogie:
Not partying yet BUT at least it looks like FAY will be just a Tropical Storm with TONS of rain, not a hurricane!
Can still do tons of damage but so far, the projections sound GREAT.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »
Glad projections are good.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
Fay did a lot of damage in my FL neighborhood - flooded - blew things away etc.. and was the worst storm since I owned a house there.. so no longer will I think it is JUST  tropical sotrm and not be ready. She was a real be etc.......... Sadly 13 people died in the usa from Fay. We aren't cleaned up from it yet over there.

Now Gustav ACK but it looks like it should miss FL for the most part however HANNA is really scaring me as it is projected to be a large powerful storm that hits Florida's east coast. I am praying it doesn't! I hate hurricanes!
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
Don't get me wrong....Tropical storms can be very nasty. I was not dismissing it at all.
For me, the projections were turning the storm away from direct path, reducing winds and rain.
Unfortunately FAY did more damage by just sitting still, and then crawling up the coast!
If she had just come through and kept going (as some projections showed) there would have been good rain/winds for a few hours not days!

There are other damages too.  Since she hung around for so long, and affected the whole peninsula of Florida, our sales (for construction materials) was in the crapper for an entire week! We are in central Florida and had not phyiscal damage.  But the company had Major losses for a 5 day period! Of course statistics don't count that!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »
No statistics and news NEVER cover all of the losses associated with canes.. even evacuating and finding a place to stay and such can be so nerve wrecking - timely and costly. I hate hurricanes. Having a birthday in Sept - makes me usally competing with a cane for planning anything for my party. lol - But really until you have lived through a few of them you just can't imagine all of the extended effects they can have on a person - a family - a business - town - the state or the nation. They are bad bad news no matter how LUCKY (?) we may get with any passing.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment