Author Topic: SyncBack SE or Pro Backup Software  (Read 11997 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
SyncBack SE or Pro Backup Software
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
2BrightSparks offers three versions of this software:   Free, SE and PRO.

If you are using a paid version (SE or Pro), check your version.
If you bought it in January 2010 or after, you can upgrade FREE to the current version 6.
If you bought before that date the cost to upgrade is very inexpensive.

The latest version 6 of the software offers a TON of changes/updates.
Check your serial number here to see if you qualify for a FREE upgrade.  You can also read about the changes, additions to software.

I use SyncBack SE and got mine in 2011. As I remember, there were others that purchased around that same time so we would all qualify for the free update.  :hapscream: :TUP: 
 (one more thing to make time for....)

Upgrade to version 6:  DO NOT uninstall version 5.  Version 6 will replace/overlay version 5 so your profiles/setting will not be lost.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:27:29 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: SyncBack SE or Pro Backup Software
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
Yep, already have version 6 of SE. Great backup software.
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
I had not done a version check until today and found I am behind. Will have to update tomorrow...
V5 has always been good.  Expect same performance from V6.
Don't trust my computer so need to make a real effort to backup more often than I have been doing. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
Why does it take any effort to back up? I have set up SyncBack to do a backup (changes only) every day. That takes away all the backup worries.  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
When I used a desktop and stayed in one place, I had no problem I set the backup program to handle outlook and password keeper every day, other things on regular basis week and little portables were a weekly event while I did my bill paying. Then i used my laptop in the same way. I plugged in at the desk, connected drives and kept the same routine.  Simple and easy. 

But those days are gone.  My life is more complicated now.  I go back and forth between 2 homes on an irregular basis. These days I use a laptop, and none of the drives is attached to the laptop 100% of the time.

Unless I want to take my little portables AND the dock with large heavy 2TB drive, cords with me every time I travel I can not set it for a specific day/hour because I do not know which day I will be in which house.  My "habit" is broken. So I must build new habits. 

The laptop gets VERY SLOW and has windows problems/lockups, generally cranky if my free space gets less than 110 GB. (The drive is only 451GB total).  As long as I stay above 110 GB, its ok.  And if I stay above 120 GB the system is quick and runs lovely.  So I am constantly dumping things off my machine, and moving things onto portables for reference. I can not run XARA program when I have less than 110GB free.
I bought this in June of 2010, stretched for as much as I could afford since it was replacing my desktop unit and would be a work horse for me for years.  Negotiated some good price breaks by going UP to a gaming system and dropping the specs down to work system and using a personal rep to buy it. NEVER thought I would run into a problem with it being "FULL" when it has 120GB free! It's crazy but a fact of life on this Dell XPS 16 system.  My system was discontinued for known OVERHEATING problems.  It gets VERY hot to the touch.
   - Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
   - 8GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
   - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 - 1GB
   - 500GB 7200RPM Free Fall Sensor Seagate Hard Drive     (450GB useable)
   - Win7 Ultimate 64

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
I use a small portable hard drive for my primary backup for my laptop, and take it most places with me when I take my laptop.

When I am home, that hard drive gets backed up itself to my large backup drive, along with my desktop backup. Critical data is also backed up by FTP to my TCH server, by SyncBack SE.

It doesn't matter if your computer is not turned on, or the hard drive not plugged in at the scheduled time for the backup. If the backup is missed, SyncBack SE automatically backs up as soon as it is able to, after the missed backup.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
Yes. As soon as I connect it starts...
Have been backing up my c drive to the big drive, not to little portables.
So if I am not connected I don't get my primary drive backed up.

I need to make sure I get backups of the primary drive more often since my system is having more and more windows faults.
-Samantha