Author Topic: Using Flash!  (Read 5754 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • "Practice drills for your Team"
Using Flash!
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »
Sami - i'm not really sure how flash works and if it will work with CSB.  However, I think that I have come to the end of what I can do with you CSB.  I would like to make it better than it is and I was thinking about Flash.  Is Flash an add on or is it a complete system with a build-in FTP like CSB?  Can Flash run on CSB and if so, you you add it like a Gem? 

Thanks for your help.
Head coach

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
Re: Using Flash!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
What version of CSB do you use? With 4 and 5 you can insert flash files like you would html with accompanying files.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:48:24 PM »
I have version 3.  I did have 4 and then 5, which I still have, but I feel 3 is the best.  I like 3 better because I have the ability to click on the "Crop" icon to crop pictures.  Which is importnat to my business.  Version 4 and 5 had to do away with that feature because of copyright problems the company had with it.  So they tell me when I first bought version 4.  I have never had any problems adding files to CSB3.  If fact, I have over 2000 individual pages.  I'm not sure if that make it a big site, I just know that I spend a lot of time on it and I want to take the site "look" to the next level.  This is why I am hope Flash will take me there.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Head coach

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:05 AM »
You can clip and crop images in 5. It'd just done through the image profile.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
All versions of Trellix and CSB support Flash.
CSB5 added a new flash interface but I still prefer the old tried and true insert HTML.

Instructions and demos for inserting flash are shown on this page.  You can use method 1 and allow the website program to upload the flash file. But I prefer method 2 and recommend that you do that too.  YOU upload the flash movie to your website. This keeps your csb tlx file FAR smaller and easier to handle. Then you will not have to add ^GEMDIR/ to your flash code. 
- Note that the flash code shown on that page may differ from YOUR flash code.  Each program generates its own version of the code.  Just grab the part that goes from <OBJECT to OBJECT>
- make sure that your flash code does not point to a place on your own computer (some flash generators do this and it must be adjusted before loading it to the web.
- By using method 2, you can leave the code in place on your webpage, then just change out the swf movie file to update.  Ex:  code would be in the INSERT HTML box pointing to a flash movie: playoftheweek.swf   if you needed to update that movie, you just upload a new movie file by the same name (and dimensions) to the website and the code in the page will pull in the new version.

STEP BY STEP instructions with images re how to insert flash also here.

Flash files in some versions of Internet Explorer have a dotted line around them.  And if you are expected to click a link in the file, you must click once to clear the dotted line then a second time to use the link.  This page describes how to get rid of that annoying "click to activate" message and dotted line.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »
Does the flash file take up more room on ones server?  Ex: I tried to up load several videos to my computer.  But my server was too small to handle it.  However, the company that I host with (web.com) says that I need a video server which means I would have to buy more space from them.  Will all this new flash "stuff" have to go on this so called video server?  Or, can I run it independently on my server without having to worry about it taken up a lot of space?

Head coach

Offline hidden

• Mr Fred!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
If your server needs upgrading over a video or two, or a flash file you need to upgrade (or move) anyway. Always have more disc space than you need. Lot's more. No server will ever admit it but you need space for back-ups, exponential growth and open ports. Your visitors will get fewer errors such as "server busy" if you maintain about 4 times or more server space than you use. At least that's been my experience. of course... I'm always wrong so you can't go by me.  :boogie:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Lake Pirate is correct.  If you are running out because of a couple flash pieces you are running to spare!  Get more space!

Having said that...Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Are you sending FLASH files .swf files?
or VIDEO (mpeg, avi, etc) from cameras?

And how big are these files?
If they are HUGE, you may need to change the format of the movie you are presenting.
(Same for images taken with newer digital cameras that take 5-12 megapixels.  They have to be prepared in a MUCH smaller format before being put on the web.)

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »
Lake Pirate is correct.  If you are running out because of a couple flash pieces you are running to spare!  Get more space!

Having said that...Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Are you sending FLASH files .swf files?
or VIDEO (mpeg, avi, etc) from cameras?

And how big are these files?
If they are HUGE, you may need to change the format of the movie you are presenting.
(Same for images taken with newer digital cameras that take 5-12 megapixels.  They have to be prepared in a MUCH smaller format before being put on the web.)

I am currently using mpeg on my site and they will no longer load.  They use to load, but not anymore.  Each video varies in size, from 4 mb's to 18 mb's.  The majority of the videos are at or around 6 mb's.  I do have a media server, but it comes with limited space.  I have thought about uploading these videos to YouTube, but once they are loaded, I will not be able to place them on my secure side of the server.  How does one get around having all of my video's open to the public.  That's why I need them on the secured side of my server.

So I take it that flash really is all what it cut up to be?  Or is it?  It sound like I would need more server space regardless if I run mpeg's or Flash, is that correct?

Head coach

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
Flash is not going to do what you need.  You need a way to stream your videos.  But man! You must have some major bandwidth usage each month!  Huge files.  Major download time. 
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:33:34 AM »
Who are the non public videos for? Clients or friends? Freinds/family - you might get away with using free space on photo bucket or myspace for example where you can make the video settings private. Those are FREE and there are other free video sources too that allow you to choose private settings and then send people to links with a password. I have seen them but sorry I don't remember the site names. If it is clients then I would spring for the extra space. :) Let us know what you decide to do please.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
Who are the non public videos for? Clients or friends? Freinds/family - you might get away with using free space on photo bucket or myspace for example where you can make the video settings private. Those are FREE and there are other free video sources too that allow you to choose private settings and then send people to links with a password. I have seen them but sorry I don't remember the site names. If it is clients then I would spring for the extra space. :) Let us know what you decide to do please.

Sounds like I will need more space.  The videos are for clients (members) that pay $20.00 a year to use the drills.  The main part of the site is for coach that use our drills.  Then as time went on, I have expanded my site to add videos.  I would like to do more videos, but because this is more of a hobby and I don't charge a whole lot of money, the money that I do get from memberships, goes back into the web site to keep it running.  To add more space would be a little taxing.  However, it seem like I don't have a choice if I have to provide this service.

It's just that every where I look, a lot more sites are adding videos.  About two years ago, Samrc helped me with a streaming video that worked perfectly.  I tried to do more videos but I ran into problems.  As for bandwidth, I have a hosting company that allows me unlimited bandwidth. 

Currently I have about 20 videos that I would like to add to my site.  But, eventually, I would like to do a video of each hockey drill that I have on my site.  Currently I have over 500 drills.  So you see, this would be a major undertaking to add videos of the drill to each drill page.

Head coach

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
Well, maybe you can ask the members what they would appreciate more and if there is any value to them in the event you had to raise your rates or charge per view. You can buy videos on itunes for I think about 1.99 - 3.99 - sorry can't remembr exactly. There are also other similar online services that take and sell videos that are smaller more targeted companies if you don't like itunes agreement. Most of them get around ten percent and pay you 90% monthly or bimonthly. It sounds like you want to provide a valuable service to me and that a minimal charge shouldn't be a concern for those who will get so much from what you are shariing. Just my two cents worth out of that 1.99 that might not even be worth that. lol I hope it all works out for you and the people who have something to gain from it too.
 :)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment