Author Topic: circles in PSP  (Read 7963 times)

Offline hidden

• leather patterns specifically for the leather craftsman
circles in PSP
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:34:43 PM »
Version 6 is the last version that was built for graphics only.... now, all versions cater to photo enhancements.  I have version 10.5 but I rarely use it.  Version 6 does everything I want it to do without have to deal with all the extars being in my way.  Every once is awhile I'll use windows paint brush from windows 3.1 because believe it or not, paint brush makes circles better.

Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><
God has a bigger purpose for your life than your biggest problem
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
circles in PSP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Perfect circles in PSP:  HOLD DOWN SHIFT KEY when you create an ellipse. :)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

circles in PSP
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »
I've known about that shift key for sometime... The reason is more in how the circle is shaped.

I fine the smaller the circle, the less apt to have a true circle shape.  Notice how the red circle has sides like a stop sign, while the black circle is more circular.

When making line patterns that someone will follow with a knife, its better to have a clear curvature.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
circles in PSP
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:38:27 PM »
I see your point....!   :yes:  The better the drawing the better the pattern.  Your Paint Brush wins hands down!

For that type of thing, I turn to Xara Xtreme Pro for my vector work...
This pdf was generated from it.  Note that at 100%, the circles are clean.  Even at 200% they are sharp.  And printers can import PDF files (the standard file type for Illustrator now) for good printing.

Used to fuss with PSP for vector work and it really became a chore.  Still LOVE it for raster images!

(I'm gonna move these last posts to the images section of the forum)
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

Re: circles in PSP
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »
I like yours better... I just work with what I's got.  Sometimes in my work going overboard is to much... the ol' "kiss" thing... keep it simple stupid.  After April I'm on the hunt for a lot of software that will to me to another level.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »
I get used to a piece of software and don't change unless I have to do so....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  (That's why I decided to stop with PSP9 at home and office and not go to the Corel version  :yuck:)

But when I find I need to have other features, I look for alternatives.  I reached for Xara's vector program when my boss asked me to design a new bag design for a new product we were releasing.  None of my software would do the job.  Since getting it, I have reworked our logo for stitching, etc. that could only be done with vector.  I am a novice with it, but having a blast as I learn it!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:56:39 PM »
I just looked at Xara Xtreme Pro's features.  WOW! WOW! WOW!  I know now what I want for Father's day.
Here's a link if anyone is interested.  Click on some of the feature links and watch a demo of your selection.
http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/features.asp?feature=52#scroll

Really nice software... gotta get me some.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »
WOW :hapscream: WOW is absolutely correct...
HIGHLY recommend you download the 30 day trial. 

Xara Xtreme is same program without the PDF/Pantone support.  If you are not going to do professional printing or need the PDF generation then XX will work.

I had XX and moved up to Xara Xtreme Pro (XXP) and am thrilled with it. The PDF works the way I needed so now our outside printer does not throw a fit!

The PDF full support is missing in the trial, but all the features of the program work.
Worth testing.  It DOES NOT work the same way as PSP. At first I found it awkward. It takes some getting used to.  But it is FUN to use, good forum http://talkgraphics.com/ , and the extra cd that comes with it is loaded with the tutorials that are posted on http://www.xaraxone.com/

There are great movie tutorials on YouTube, search for XARA.  EggBram has 33 videos alone, and there are other contributors too on TONS of topics. I like Egg's comfortable style of presenting...Doesn't assume you know something, shows you every step.

Note:  This is a heavy duty VECTOR program with some raster support and basic raster editing.  It is not designed to totally replace a raster program (Photoshop, PSP, etc).
-Samantha