Author Topic: Aligning Tables  (Read 4411 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Aligning Tables
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »
I'm trying to setup tables to contain text and pictures.  I've aligned the tables on the page by dragging the borders of the tables. and with WYSIWYG, they all look even.  After I publish, the table borders are still not aligned!  It's been very frustrating.  Other than extending the tables to add the different pictures, I don't know what else to do.  I'd rather keep the different pictures separate according to the different subjects.  
You can see what I'm talking about here... http://www.harrisclinic.com/pdt_pics.htm

I've searched the forums but haven't found anything regarding this.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Howie
howie at
howielipton.com

(edited your email so it will not be grabbed by spammers)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:03:09 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Aligning Tables
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
Lets say your FIRST column needs to be the same width on all the tables. 

Highlight the first column in the first table, right click your table, Choose Properties, Table, Size and Alignment Tab and set your column width.  Repeat for the next table. 

By setting a specific column width in the table properties, you will get consistent results.

Check out this FLASH tutorial (step by step) for adjusting columns two ways.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply!  I've done what you suggested and they look the same in the properties, and as WYSIWYG, but when it's published, the columns are all out of whack still!  The last 3 tables on this page were all 580 pixels in CSB, but as you can see, they aren't aligned.  I also adjusted the picture size to about 580 wide.

http://www.harrisclinic.com/thermage_pics.htm

Howie

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:58 PM »
Sometimes seeing the DESIGN file can make all the difference. 
 I know you use CSB4.  Please describe your own computer screen resolution (800x600, 1024x768, etc) and which OS you have (XP, Vista, 7).

Have you cropped and prepared your images BEFORE you put them into CSB?  Or are you putting the full size image into CSB then using the RESIZE option in CSB?  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you prepare images before getting into CSB for best possible results.

If you would allow me access to your working tlx file, I could help to id your specific situation.
Either use FTP software to upload the actual design file (not publish) to a place on your own website then link to it (so I can download it) or if 10mb or less I can provide an email addy and you can just attach the file.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
I'm running XP, resolution is 1280x768, and have viewed the images/tables on various computers, with the same results.  I just tried a test page, laying out the tables with the same sizes in pixels and they line up after published.  If I add the pictures separately after making sure they're the same sizes in pixels as the table, then it looks fine, but some of the pictures are too small for the table, so when I click and drag them a bit larger, then it goes ahead and resizes the tables automatically!   :banghead:

I've given you access to the file in the public_html folder named sami, password is sami2 at howielipton.com.  Good luck!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Howie

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »
no password was needed to access the file.
I went to howielipton.com/sami/ and right clicked the tlx file to download it.  You might want to remove it now.

What was the LAST page you made and tested???? (nevermind....see answer below!)
I will play with it and get back to you with some info soon....

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:40:21 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »
Ok....GOT YOUR ANSWER!  

Your images are simply too large for the tables you have built.
Check your images again based on the description below:

When you click the image to select it, edit points appear around the image.
If all four sides have them, the image fits (like the image on the right).
These points allow you to stretch or shrink your image to fit.

Compare these two photos.  
The RIGHT image is fine. It fits properly so all the edit points can be seen in the design window.

The LEFT IMAGE does NOT have edit points on the right side!  
The column is too thin to show the entire image properly.
When published, the table will stretch to hold the entire image.
Your images are EXACTLY like that, just much bigger (that's why I am using a small example in the forum).
So even when you build your tables exactly the same size, they will stretch to accommodate your image size.

You may find it easier to drag the images to the right size, or make fresh copies in a photo program to make them all specific size and generate a bunch of images at the same time.  There are two freebies I use most to get my images ready for CSB: Irfanview and Easy Thumbnails (have used many versions of each since 2000!).  Irfanview is my default image viewer.  Both make images any size you want, preview the results before making copies, optimize and/or adjust the file name so you can quickly tell the difference between the original and smaller copy, sharpen lighten, brighten, etc as you make the copy, and best: both can handle batch conversion/rename of images easily.
Easy Thumbnails is the quickest to learn and SIMPLE to use.  http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/  I set my ET to put tn_ in front of all the file names so I know that it is a thumbnail (even when it is 600x400 pixels).

TIP:  Don't turn off your table borders.  
They show in FireFox and other browsers.   Make them invisible if you want to hide them!
Right click Table  choose Properties  > Table
Hide the table borders using the dotted lines.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »

I was just going to write to you that I also figured it out, with the result similar to your explanation!!  :)

I simply went made all tables the same size, then dragged a corner of the picture until it was about the same width (pixels) of the table, noted the height of the picture (double click on it to get to the properties easily), and then made the picture beside it the same height and width.  All the tables now line up.

Once again, thanks so much for your fast replies and for hosting this great forum.  I thought that the process with CSB 4 would be WYSIWYG, but that didn't work out.  Anyway, I've removed the file and you may see the results here... http://www.harrisclinic.com/pdt_pics.htm

Howie

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
 :hapscream: :hapscream: :hapscream:
Congrats!  Glad you have it going....
-Samantha