Author Topic: CSB 3 and Windows 7  (Read 5369 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
CSB 3 and Windows 7
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Hopefully I've missed something, but I've looked through all the forum and I believe I'm SOL...     :'(    I had been using CSB 3 for several years and have now had to get a new computer with Windows 7, 64 bit. I'm not able to access the Preview/Publish feature any longer. As I understand it, CSB 3 won't work with Windows 7. But CSB 5 will. But that is no longer available to purchase. Is there ANY way to get CSB 5 any more??? I'm not looking forward to having to learn a new web designing program, plus I have a really large web site built with CSB that I can no longer access to update or make additions.  :help:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: CSB 3 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
Please look at an email I just sent to your email listed on the forum profile for a private recommendation.

In addition to that please answer the following questions:
Which win 7 are you using? home standard premium ultimate?
Since you already installed CSB 3 on your Win 7 machine, lets confirm some details:
 - did you use an account with administrator priveleges?
 - did you right click the exe program file and choose properties to get to the compatibility tab and set it to win xp?
 - do you run it as an admior?
 - did you make sure that you have a folder called Temp in your C folder?
 - have you followed the instructions that are necessary for Vista for previewing (may/may not not help you)?  If not, do it now:
Since you have the problem with PREVIEW function... My first best guess is that
you should assign a specific folder in your publishing settings of one of your tlx files:

Go into your my docs folder and make a folder to hold your web previews.  Call it
WEBPREVIEW if you want.

Then go back into CSB.  (been years since I saw v3. I refer to the v4/v5 tabs here which may have different names in v3)
  PUBLISH > OPTIONS > HTML DIRECTORY.
  Check off box for SAVE COPY OF EXPORTED HTML LOCALLY.
  Use the BROWSE button  to go to the WEBPREVIEW folder, then in the second field
fill in a name of a folder to hold THIS website (if you have more than one website
this becomes very important!).
  Say Ok then try to PREVIEW the site.

This should cause CSB and WINDOWS to work together, avoiding the folder you were having access problems with.
  Don't try to publish until you have previewed once first.
  Then once you are successful, you can UNCHECK that LOCAL HTML BOX and publish.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
>In addition to that please answer the following questions:
Which win 7 are you using? home standard premium ultimate?<<   Sue's Response: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

>Since you already installed CSB 3 on your Win 7 machine, lets confirm some details:
 - did you use an account with administrator priveleges?<<   Sue's Response: Yes

> - did you right click the exe program file and choose properties to get to the compatibility tab and set it to win xp?<<  Sue's Response: I did XP SP2

>- do you run it as an admior?<<  Sue's Response: Yes

>- did you make sure that you have a folder called Temp in your C folder?<< Sue's Response: Yes

> - have you followed the instructions that are necessary for Vista for previewing (may/may not not help you)?  If not, do it now:<< Sue's Response:
I don't know how to do that. The rest of your instructions don't pertain because when I click "File" there is no Preview or Publish options any longer...

Thanks!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »
Thanks for the info! 
Others have had issues with v3 but did not come back to give us details.
With no publishing options at all, it definitely sounds like you are running the FIRST version of CSB3, which was basically a rebranded Trellix 2.7 publish anywhere.
And if you are using admin, xp sp2 compatible, there is nothing else I know to recommend/suggest.

If someone offers you a CSB 5 serial number (either unused or released so it can be registered again), that is the only way you will be able to open, convert and edit your tlx design files.
Otherwise you will have to edit the HTML directly in an HTML editor or rebuild.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:50:07 AM »
Hi Samantha - have just tried to update my CSB3 site www.spridget.org from a new Windows 7 home premium 64bit computer. It won't preview or publish but is otherwise OK - the site has edited with no problems. After trying it in XP compatability mode and after entering the CSB3 serial number when requested still it won't preview or publish. I am in administrator mode and while there was not a temp file in the c drive I have created one as well as the web preview folders as suggested. Still no go. 

I'm unable to complete the suggested changes for Vista previewing. There is not a publishing options menu that I can find in CSB3. There is no 'publish' menu in the taskbar, nor under the file menu or any of the other menus. As the preview and publish icons below the taskbar are greyed out there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the publish menu.

I don't have a disk for CSB3 as a trial version which I subsequently purchased came with an old HP printer years ago and I no longer have disk.

I think all this confirms your last post's observation that this must be the very frist version of CSB3 but any suggestions would be gratefully received. The alternative may well be to bite the bullet and re-make the site in Xara!

Thanks, Paul.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »
It's a shame that you are stuck. CSB3 is just not advanced enough to make it to Vista/7 era.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Thank goodness 4 and 5 made it for those of us that upgraded.
I am very sorry that I can not offer you a CSB 5 license. I have only one left that I must hold for a client.

MAKE a full backup copy of every file currently on your website before you make any changes.
Store a copy on your computer so if you mess something, you can send it back to the website.

If you are NOTpublishing with FRAMES turned on, your existing HTML pages can be brought into Microsoft Expression Web and edited!
Kinda neat.  There is a trial with this software and you can see how you like that. Not a bad option for some people.

But I would recommend rebuilding with a current builder.  Xara's Web Builder Premium is a lovely product. The more I use it, the more I like it.
Some of it seems so familiar to CSB.  And I like the results. This last version (7) is loaded. So far, Xara has really listened to the users and refined the product to give a simple feel while providing lots of features.  The trial stops at a week. Then you put in your email address and that unlocks the rest of the trial period for a full month of unlimited use before purchase is necessary.  The product is good, the forum is excellent, and the company still gives discount to current owners.
-Samantha