Author Topic: Review XWD version 6: I like XWD alot  (Read 11552 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Review XWD version 6: I like XWD alot
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
After 10 years of helping on the Trellix Cafe, GlobalSCAPE, TCH and samisite forums for free, I FINALLY made a website about my skills and hung up a shingle to sell services.  All the free and paid work I have done for these years has been only word of mouth.  Don't expect to make lots of moola from it but at least I now have a 'professional'  LOL  presence on the web.  

I built Website Ads and Web Design Elements by aWebWench.com with Xara Web Designer, 6.0
I started with a template and did my own twist on it.  Not much change (yet).
Yes, purple and green and dragonfly are my signature but they are reinvented in the new site.

Though incomplete, I have enough posted that you can see where I am going with it.
I will be adding more features offered in the program to that web site as I learn to use them.

That site is basic. No special features (yet).
But even basic it has some decent features:
- dynamic drop-down menu
- layers
- fading
- transparencies
- iframes
- contact form inside iframe
- paypal button
- statcounter code
- repeating elements.
I will be adding some rollovers, photo elements and other features with time.

So now to get to the real reason for posting here:
What I like about the software:
It's Fun!  
It's Functional!  
Some features take seconds to learn. Some are so similar to CSB it is scary.

This one is different than any other builder I have tested.  

- USER:  This program is a website designer with the personal user/small business user in mind.
- FLASH & GIF: - This program is a web designer with a photo program at it's heart.  :hearts:  This thing doesn't just allow you to insert flash and animated gifs, slideshows, galleries. It builds flash, animated gifs, slideshows and galleries and very well too. Yes you can still insert pieces like that from other sources but it's nice to know you can build them right in the software itself!  [Though I have animations and flash on the site site I built, I did not build those in the XWD file. They were made with a variety of software at different times and inserted into the XWD page using drag and drop. The animations came in easily with little effort. The placeholder rectangle for my flash pieces had to be manually adjusted (drag/stretch) to look like the real thing and be the correct size-took a couple tries.]
- PHOTOS:  Gracious.. XWD excels here. Do anything, fix a photo, slideshows, popups, blur/fade, rollovers, galleries.
- TEMPLATES/NO TEMPLATES:  Ok. This is a big issue for some folks.  Some people ONLY build using templates. Others will not use a program that ONLY uses templates. Everybody wins with XWD. It's totally up to you. Build from scratch or use a template. Even if you use a template YOU have total control over every element of that template. Color, size, elements, text areas, photo layouts, you name it. Keep the whole template as is or change a few things to suit yourself. Each page can be EXACTLY the same or quite different. Your choice.
You can make each page a different length, or all the same.  Your choice.
Using a template you can quickly add/remove elements from the page without changing the nature of the template.
You can duplicate a page by right clicking and choosing that option. The templates that come with XWD are very usable with several page variations for each.
- REPEATING ELEMENTS: Want something on every page?  CSB can do this in a couple ways. And so can XWD. Couple simple settings and bam! it is taken care of.  Make a change to one of the repeating elements then click to update all of them and it's done.
- PRE-MADE COMPONENTS:  The designs gallery has a nice selection of pre-made components that you can drag/drop onto your web page and use. You can tweak these elements to fit your page better or use exactly as is.  Say you want a speech bubble overlaying an image.  No need to make one.  Just drag that component from your design gallery onto the page and type in the words you want. The bubble will stretch to fit what you type!
Lovely extras like that make this program a joy to work with.  Love the "stretchy buttons".
- WIDGETS:  Trellix used to offer WEBGEMS. They were special features like weather, etc that would load into your webpage. They depend on other sites to feed data to yours. Well, XWD has a lot of these to offer for YouTube, Google... Everything old is new again.  :TUP:
- NO CODING NECESSARY:  Still no coding necessary and like CSB to see the code you must go to view source on the website itself.
- INSERTING CODE:  Yes. Just like CSB, you CAN insert code snippets into your web page using a placeholder.
- UPLOADING EXTERNAL FILES: Yep.  XWD will grab a file for you and upload it to the website for you, putting a link on the page accessing the file (perfect for pdf files).
- PUBLISHING: Publishing is nearly identical to CSB, simple and easy. (CON: If you have difficulty w/publish, there is not direct facility to id the issue like CSB that logs process. But there is a separate utility you can add to assist).
- INTERFACE:  Clean, easy, uncluttered.  WYSIWYG. Drag and Drop.
- STORAGE:  This program compacts the website data into a proprietary format, in small .web files (sound familiar?  ;))
- TEXT: Text is not forgotten. Images can repel text if you check that option. You can use indents, tabs, hanging indents.  When you combine features that are not supported by HTML or when you use non web-safe fonts, the program automatically converts it to PICTURES! (great for buttons, headers, etc).
- LEARNING CURVE:  Takes an hour maybe two to get the BASICS.  :TUP:  Takes years to get the full use of the program!  :clapping:  Some features WILL take some time to learn. There are many little videos demonstrating techniques and even while learning, the program has that FUN factor that makes it feel like play time rather than work.
- INCLUDES:  Navigation bars with drop downs, drop shadows are simple
- PRICE: $50 and comes in different languages...

- CONS: No tables. Sorry. No tables. I know that many people will no longer need them because we over-use them in CSB to hold design in place and that is not necessary in XWD. There are work-arounds for this when a table is the best option (data in a table). Hopefully they give us basic tables in the future....  :luck:   No frames. You can use iframes, but not frames. Since frames are not used much anymore, this shouldn't be an issue for most sites.

With release of version 6, they moved this program into another class entirely!  
I really think this product is special.  
Not Dreamweaver. Not for Corporate type sites. It has it's limitations.
Having said that, I would STRONGLY recommend you give this Xara Web Designer program a try!  30 day free trial, forums, price, abilities, support, FUN FACTOR, EASE OF USE make this my favorite replacement so far.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:07:05 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Review XWD version 6: I like XWD alot
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Great review!  :TUP:

I will certainly take a look at it.
Thanks Sami.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Very good review Sami. As you know, I have been using XWD for a while. I rarely use DW these days. With the release of XWD6, they have really made a huge leap to address most of the feedback, and it is now a well-featured program.

I just tested the publish feature, and now it really works - publishes the updates only!

As you said, so similar to CSB (at least from a user perspective), but a totally modern version!

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Glad you found it helpful.  Hopefully a few more people will try it and like it too.
Yes Rick, I know you have used it and liked even the v5, despite its shortcomings.
I was so VERY disappointed with the v5. Could not use it, could not recommend it. v6 is so far superior it is a totally new program!

I will add to this thread and start a feature chart to compare to CSB as I continue to use/learn the program and as I try out Site Spinner too.
With XWD, I want to address how tables can be inserted because I do NEED them for some things.

There are other things I want too, but I expect they will show up in a future version of XXP6 instead.  :D
I find I use PSP less and less, turning to XXP5 for my vector AND bitmap graphics work. The included Magix Xtreme Photo Designer (linked program) adds much needed bitmap features like cloning and other functions I used to always handle in Paint Shop Pro.  XXP5 has the ability to see and edit each ITEM on a layer. I LOVE THIS and found that I missed that function in XWD6.  As I said, I expect we will get that in XXP6, or in a pro version of XWD.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
Sami, do you know if XWD creates the home page with a .htm or .html extension?

I'm asking because the first page in a URL picked up by a browser is the index file, when it is not included in the URL, and don't know why CSB creates both or if there is an order priority between the two.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:56 AM »
If you just name the page index in XWD, index.htm is exported by XWD.
If you include a file extension in the name you define, XWD will export that file.
(I named a page test.php and it was indeed exported as test.php)

BTW: windows default is .htm while Unix/Linux is .html. You can use either extension on both systems.
My home page is .htm, but is hosted/served by Linux.  CSB is creates both because when Trellix was originally  designed you had to provide the right file .htm or .html depending on the server. CSB carried that forward, allowing you to use CSB on either Windows or Unix/Linux servers (again, ahead of its time!).
But you no longer need to worry about that. Either works now. Just be careful about CAPs. DON't uSe THem!

Home pages file names are either index.htm, index.html, home.htm, home.html, default.htm or default.html and most hosting providers will support any of them.  Some also support index.asp, index.php as main pages. And if you are on a Linux server with Apache, you can use an .htaccess line to change to point your home page to ANY page on your site as your home page. (Gotta love that .htaccess file!)

Having too many "default" named files in your main directory can cause problems.
For example, on another active thread (in the general discussion section), the webmaster has three of these files in his main directory:  index.htm, index.html and index.php
2 were made by CSB, 1 was made by the gallery script he used.
index.php wins the priority battle on that server so he could see the gallery but not his CSB pages.  Take a look at that thread. Kinda interesting.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:05:14 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
Hi Sami, very good detailed post. I always wondered why good old CSB did that, and also good info on dot htaccess, by the way, the folks at Coffee have a new program that does web site security and wonder if anyone has used it. I'm going to look at the thread. Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
Newer post.  I will be continuing with the Xara Design Pro line now, dropping the Xara Web Design program.
All the features of XWD are in XDP (read details here) and much more.
If you do not want all the photo options of XDP, then XWD is still a great little web designer program and I still recommend it.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Re: Questions about Xara Web Designer, 6.0
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
I have been using CuteSite since 1996.  Just had to buy a new computer and download to WindowsXP because the CuteSite will not work with Windows Vista or Windows7.  I've visited your SamiSite many times over the years for pointers and really appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom.

I have been looking for a new program with more options than CuteSite and after reading your review am giving thought to Xara Web Designer 6.0, but I have some questions.  Can you publish sub-directories with XWD?

Thanks,
Pat

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »
WELCOME to the forum!  Glad to have you here.   :welsign:

Hope Samisite has helped over the years. Hope it continues to help going forward too.

CuteSite will not work with Windows Vista or Windows7
CSB 4 and 5 work fine.  CSB 3 will not.  Which version do you have?

Can you publish sub-directories with XWD?
Oh yes!  The publishing options in the new version are so close to CSB.
I will post a picture tomorrow.  Not on the right machine to do it tonight.

What other questions can I help with?

Do bring in the trial. Spend the weekend playing with it.  It is addicting.  Use one of the pre-made templates and play with it.  Make a few pages and publish to a subdirectory behind your existing site.  If you do not link to it from your existing pages, your visitors will not know it is there.  Drag pictures and watch the text move out of the way.  Watch some videos and try the techniques they show.   Some of it is just fun.  Some of it takes work to fully understand.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:00:43 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have long admired you and wished I could meet you.  I think we have lots in common and possible some common friends.  I have some friends with Cabin Fever Quilting and have a group of crafter ladies I've been meeting with for 20 years. 

The trail offer XWD has limits, I can't use other templates then the demo one.

Here are sites I've published and manage all but one:
www.patlc.com
www.mysunshinepediatrics.com
www.flbreastfeeding.org
www.flca.info
www.firstchoiceurgentcare.net
www.mommyzone.org
www.carson-appleton.com

I'm using CBS 4 for all, but I could not get all functions to work on Windows Vista or Windows7.  So, I actually just bought a new laptop from Dell and downgraded to WindowsXP in order to manage my websites.  Maybe I'll go ahead and purchase XWD.  I want to be able to use drop down menus and didn't see any videos as to how to do these.  Also, I think I'll miss the function of seeing my site map as in CSB, but I see you can have a site map on the site itself which is helpful. The www.flbreastfeeding.org is the first site I would like to rebuild and it's really needs to navigate more easily and the drop down menus will be really helpful.

I'm sure once I purchase XWD, I might need some guidance.

Thank you, Pat (Oviedo, FL)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
I have long admired you and wished I could meet you.  I think we have lots in common and possible some common friends.  I have some friends with Cabin Fever Quilting and have a group of crafter ladies I've been meeting with for 20 years.  

Good Gracious!  You are in the neighborhood!  :ss-shocked:
You should have said something a long time ago. I would love to meet you.  To find a fellow CSB user that crafts too?  YES!
Tell me more about your crafters group...what types of thing do you folks do? Quilting, anything else?
Don't know how long you have been in the area but a thousand years ago, I LOVED our old Ben Franklin Store. Everytime I would go in, I would see another project...another idea for a project.  Michaels is fine, but not like the BenF used to be.  JoAnns is closer to that type of inspiration for me.

In the past three years, I have had no time to quilt and quit the guild.  :'(  It has nagged at me terribly and WILL make time for all my crafting in the next year! I need it. I put my job then family as priorities. Now family is first, job will be important but not my main drive anymore. At least I had the computer as my creative outlet.  I have continued to add to my stash unfortunately (I love fabric and am addicted), which only adds to my guilt for not sewing!  :-[   I have several projects fully lined up. Fabrics chosen, patterns ready, even the machine was tuned up not long ago... Time is my enemy. I have a situation I must deal with now, but once the dust settles, I am diving in whole hog again. I have the threads, fabrics, equipment, patterns.  I need space and time and both will be available 5-6 months down the road. :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

I'm using CBS 4 for all, but I could not get all functions to work on Windows Vista or Windows7.

Strange!  Only the help file is missing for CSB 4, and even that can be resolved.  What was not working for you?
There is an ADD-on for Win 7 pro and ultimate versions that allows the user to run Windows XP INSIDE Win 7.  Others have reported that they use 4 and 5 on Win 7 and Vista. I work with a CSB user from California who has a very large site that he has been editing on vista and win 7 for years...  The graphical buttons in 5 do not work but the rest does.  I will be installing my CSB on this Win 7 machine shortly and let you know my results.  Your problem is solved  though with th xp downgrade.  

You have nice sites!  Very clean, easy to navigate. Good resources. Very helpful.   :TUP: :clapping: :TUP:  
Lovely family photos.  It does appear we have common interests!

Site Spinner seems to be a favorite softwre too.  You might want to try it before buying anything.
As to XWD,  Yes the trial is limited to that one template, but even that template has SEVERAL different page styles in it.  And EVERYTHING is changeable.

I want to be able to use drop down menus and didn't see any videos as to how to do these.

Basically... a few clicks builds a bar like on my aWebWench.com site.

Right click the tool bar to get a menu.
Choose EDIT NAVIGATION BAR

This shot shows you my nav bar.  Click a plus to open a level.
Double click where it tells you to add another level underneath.
Click the URL column to open another option box.
(Menu style button takes you to color/fonts, etc settings)

Each button can have any number of settings.  Choose to do nothing with it, or open a new window, an anchor, ...you name it. Nearly identical to the CSB type link settings.  Some of these things are so similar you will get comfortable with it quickly.

Take a look at YOUTUBE.COM for XaraXhris, XaraVideo and others.
These two were recorded in Xara Web Designer 5:  Basic nav bar editing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3UAIaVJ3I&feature=related
part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZiRXEqcxuw&feature=related

XaraXhris has many youtube instruction videos.  He did some for the new Designer Pro which is the full photo program PLUS Web Designer built into one. Some of the features are identical.  During this video the newer version of the multi-level nav bar is discussed/show at this time:  6:31-13:58: Navbar tool the functions are the same in both rograms so I recommend you watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/XaraXhris#p/a/8F39E7F8F7BE0331/2/i3OTrgU4GT8

Warning...Don't watch the 5 parts of "Creating a multi-level menu / Nav bar using Xara Xtreme Pro / Web Designer" is the OLDER version 5. Interesting but NOT the same as the version 6 and would only confuse you at first! Version 6 of WXD makes multi-level menus EASY.

PLEASE read the thread that describes the difference between the Web Designer program and Designer pro.
http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=847.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:58:49 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
Hi Sami, I don’t do much sewing or crafts lately either.  My return to full time work about 15 years ago makes it hard to find time to do.  I’m a bit of a career volunteer, so with family, full time work and continuing to do lots of volunteer work, I just don’t have time to get to the sewing machine.

My craft groups stared about 25 years ago when the children were young. About 10 of us would gather one day per week rotating homes.  We would have a short bible study, and sew and do crafts, have lunch.  Then, kids got older, some took jobs and others moved away.  Now we get together for a long weekend once per year with bibles and sewing machines for a reunion and fellowship.

Building websites that are connected to my volunteer and paid work is my new creative outlet.  I’m hoping to again find time to revisit the sewing machine sometime in a future chapter of my life.

Back to CSB, the feature that would not work on Windows Vista or Windows7 was the insert file downloader.  Since I insert lots of PDFs this wasn’t going to work.  So I did try the Windows Virtual PC with WindowsXP inside Window 7, but it wasn’t reliable.  The CSB worked great, but one day I went to open Windows Virtual PC and it wanted a password which I had never set up. I’m the only one who uses the PC.  I’ve been locked out ever since.  That’s when I got to new Dell laptop with the downgrade to WindowsXP.  I needed something reliable to manage my CSB sites.

I just tried to download SiteSpinner trial on my Windows7 and it would not but it did download on the laptop.  It doesn’t look as user friendly as XWD.  I think I’ll just invest in the XWD.  I don’t need the full photo capacity of Designer pro.  I think XWD will meet my needs fine.

Thank so much for all the great tips on your Samisite over the years and for helping me with the drop down menus of XWD.  It would be great to meet sometime.  I do think we have many things in common.

Blessings,
Pat

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
Easy fix for your download situation with CSB or any website building software including XWD:

USE FTP TO UPLOAD A FILE: (best option if you have A LOT of files)
When you use a 3rd party FTP program to upload your special files (swf, music, pdf, image for slideshows, etc) you can place them into folders on your website that mean something logical if you like. You can place all your pdf files in a pdf folder, or separate them by topic, etc. Or you can use a File Manager if your website control panel offers that choice to upload files. Then in your CSB page, simply link to them either from a web page with a simple link (use URL style link) or from a script, just use a full URL address.

Makes your tlx design file smaller and less likely to corrupt. Same going forward with XWD!
Here's a quick Primer on using FTP to upload files quickly to your site

I highly recommend this procedure over any other way for loading lots of downloadable files!
Besides, if you have a standard link (orlandoresources.pdf) and you have to replace that file periodically, you NEVER have to change the link in CSB or XWD again.  Simply replace the pdf file on your website with the FTP program. Keep the same name and your visitors get the fresh file.  Saves TIME and effort for files that need to be updated. 

HMM...Site Spinner cam ein fine for me this weekend.  Installed without a hitch...  ???  Maybe your firewall/antivirus is blocking something.

Yes, XWD feels good from the start.  And the more you work with it, the more I expect you will like it.  It makes you feel creative.  For me, it is like a brand new box of crayons each time I open it.  The potential..

Your get togethers sound like fun.  Very recharging for the soul, mind and body.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »
After you have used the program for a while, let us know YOUR review. YOUR opinion of the XWD program please.
Would love to hear your view of the program too.
-Samantha