Author Topic: Sam's ongoing cat story..... (renamed topic)  (Read 26708 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Sam's ongoing cat story..... (renamed topic)
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
So how is SI doing? I hope things are going ok for now.  :hearts:
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »
Well... She was on the antibiotic zeniquin for 6 weeks as I mentioned back in August.  Went off and everything went well for several weeks. 

Then her appetite began to lessen and one day, Si started yowling in pain, running from litter box to litter box. Tiny dimes of urine.  Back to the vet.  More tests, culture and xray.  No blockage, crystals or bacteria would grow in the culture. But she spent a week on the antibiotic clavamox.  It upset her stomach so much she wasn't eating well AND tossing up what she did eat.  But the urination issue subsided...  :banghead:   

SO....earlier this week the vet confirmed that the clavamox was causing major stomach distress and stopped the meds again. (that antibiotic causes distress in some people too!) 
Unfortunately, he confirmed we are near the end for treatments too. 
We could do another round of the antibiotic zeniquin but that did not hold off irritation for long so there is not much hope for another round.  We could try steriods to limit inflammation. But not much hope that it will help.  We are basically at the end of the medicinal road. 
She is just wearing out. 
She is in renal failure and eventually they just will not work anymore. 
She already has blood in her urine that does not lessen with treatments.

Though I am losing Si, and seeing her steadily decline, on the bright side I have had an easy time of it!
I been able to give her all the pills required to a CAT with NO scratches, no struggles. 
She comes when called...I ask her if she wants a pill and she sits up straight meows like I offered her a treat!  Every time.  It is the funniest thing you have ever seen.
I tip her head back and pop a pill in.  Sometimes repeating once or twice for the required pill count.  Yet the kitty sits there for all of it! Sometimes she squirms while I am holding her head, but overall, she has been remarkable.   I think she KNOWS that these things make her feel better.  Far less stress treating her than Spaz! And she has been happy, living on the screen porch (her favorite place in the world), in fresh air, on soft cushions, away from the other 6.5 year old cat.

I must pass on a tip from the vet. He told me that cats and dogs as they age sometimes develop stomach issues...ulcers, tenderness, gasses, etc that can actually drop them off their favorite foods, making them weaker and vulnerable.  Even things that taste good just don't want to go in because of distress.  BUT.  The vet instructed me to give my little kitty ONE 10mg of PEPCID AC (original strength) every day and it has been making her far more comfortable. She is eating again. And actually wanted one of her favorite TREATS (bad for her kidneys but great for mood). She hasn't wanted one of those for MONTHS!  I wish I knew this and could have tried it for Spaz.

For the last couple days, we have been in a temporary lull. 
No pain. No stomach distress. No infections. Peaceful.
Si slept on my bed the last 2 nights, all the way through the night undisturbed and that is a treat for both of us!
I don't know how long I will have her.  Out of love, respect and caring, I will put her down when she goes into sustained pain or is just plain miserable.  I might have 1 week, or 3 months with her....just a waiting game.  She will let me know when.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 03:32:27 AM »
Aw Sammy, I am sorry your time with SI is near it's end. :( I am so glad there is peace at the moment. It really does sound like SI knew the medicine was a good thing. I hope there won't be much pain for either of you to endure. God Bless you both. That is also a good tip to remember. TY for passing it on. You and SI are in my prayers.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
Just an update....

After spending the winter inside the house, taking her daily PEPCID AC tablets, Si is semi-stable.

I get so frustrated with the yowling sometimes. If she gets next to me at my computer or on the couch or on the bed, she often screams in my ear at full volume (she can't tell that she is loud). Used to wake me up in the middle of the night doing it.  But other than that, she is still just as sweet tempered and gentle as ever.  Can only say that I am thankful for the extra time. I owe her so much for being such a good kitty sitter for Spaz when I was losing her.

She's lost weight, is very thin with few reserves left. I pet her very lightly because she is only bones now.
But she's still bright eyed, eating some (paté style food with lots of water added to make a very nasty lumpy gravy) and still wants attention. 

With the weather constantly warm now, she is living out on the screen porch all the time again. She comes in to sit with me for a while then goes back out.  I join her out there too. The heat is much more comfortable for her than the cool air-conditioning inside the house (especially when I sleep...keep it COLD!).  We quit the daily pepcid pills a month ago and give them sporadically now...she was just fighting too hard and was miserable.  I want to extend her QUALITY of life, not make it worse for her!

So far...So good.  She's hanging in and we have had more time together than I expected after getting her diagnosis last summer. Realistically, I don't know how long she can last....  Amazing strength of will for such a frail animal. 
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
 :hearts: I am glad to hear this news Sammy. I wish you and Si the best quality time you have left together that you can have. Cats are really remarkable animals. God Bless you both!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
Well....I enter my final chapter on this thread for a long time I hope.

Si had a stroke last night or this morning. Her one leg is paralyzed.  She is fine, not in pain. 
She lost control of herself and made a mess and could not move out of it.

I cleaned her up, checked her out and made sure she was comfortable and content.  She wants attention to be petted and loved. I gave her some, then adjusted the screen room so she could not jump up on furniture even if she tried.  Then went to work.

We will watch tv together tonight, spend some quality time.
Stopped at the vet on my way home.  Got one pill for her.
Will give it to her in the morning, then about 2 hours later will take her in to be put down.
The pill is to make her extremely relaxed, sleepy, maybe a bit loopy so the trip to the vet will not be a trauma to her.
Normally she has such TERROR going to the vet.  I could not do that to her.

Tomorrow will be a long day cleaning out the screen room, extracting the carpet and getting the area ready so my Oscar cat can enjoy it again.

It's been a long time since the diagnosis, a year and a half, and it's time.  We are both ready for this.  She has been a lovely companion for me and Spaz.  I will miss her.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 11:08:16 PM »
AWWW! Sammy! This makes me especially sad in part because I am not sure if my dog had a stroke and that is why he was paralyzed in his front legs or not. No one really knew. He became for awhile quadraplegic. I took him to an accupuncturist and invented a contraption to teach him how to walk again and he did. At any rate, I know your time with Si has already been extended and I am not trying to suggest you fight under the circumstances. But it certainly brings back memories and I can understand how you feel. I just am so sorry for both of you this had to happen. Really, you are both in my prayers. I hope things go as they are meant to go and both of you will have peace. Wow, again, so sorry Sammy!  :unsure: :( :'(

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
I spent the evening with her last night.

This morning she had some use of the leg again.
I am glad you gave your dog more time. Know you are too.  I didn't have that choice with Si.  We had lived with the decline for a year and a half.  It was time.  She had given me a sign that her body was struggling hard now. Made the decision when easier for me.

Gave her the pill this morning at home. Had her on my lap for hour and half, falling in and out of sleep, purring when awake. Put her in the bottom of her carrier and held her in that for another half hour while petting her.  She was relaxed and easy in the car, relaxed and easy at the vet.  The vet that helped today had not seen her in a year and knew at first glance that she was in renal failure and agreed that it was time!  He gave her one shot then put her in my arms. She slowly went to sleep.  I hated putting her down. But it was the right time and it was the right way.  She was not scared, she left the world the way she lived in it...peaceful, quiet and relaxed.  Better than I could have hoped.  I cry because I don't have her with me. But I don't cry for how she left.  I can only hope and pray that I can leave that well.

Smile for her.  :yes:  Rejoice that she is no longer struggling with renal failure.  She was the most gentle sweet kitty I have ever known.  She had a good life and a good death.  I was blessed to have her.  She was a gift.  She will be buried next to my best buddy and her companion Spaz tonight when it gets a bit cooler for me to dig.

-------
Aftermath:  
Now I have the difficult task of cleaning her screen room.  EVERYTHING must be fully disinfected (her last three days she got urine on/in just about everything.  Will be stop start project to replace the rugs on the perchs, etc. Will start with soaking then washing all her linens... I can't let my last remaining cat OSCAR out there until it's clean again....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
Thanks for letting us know how it went Sammy. I feel better just reading about it. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
Over the last few weeks, Oscar, my last remaining kitty, began to have sinus/allergy issues.  
At 8 years, this is the first medical issue we have faced together. Strong and a lean 12.4 pounds, he  impressed the vet with his great teeth and sweet breath. (Good cat food kept his teeth clean and fresh).

Steroid shot made him feel much better for a couple days, then worse. He progressed to require antibiotics, antihistamine.  Was feeling better. Eyes stopped running and nose was better. Meds continued.  He was hiding from me and hating me for all this stuff.  I felt like a meanie for having to trap him to do medicines.

Last Thursday he was off his food and vomiting clearly (usually seen just before hairballs). Not worried. Not surprised.

But Friday I got up to find he was bleeding from the nose and vomiting blood. Rushed him to vet!!  

Couldn't afford a CT ($1200 + biopsy up to $2k) to find out if he has a tumor or blockage or polyp, etc. to determine the cause of the bleeding.
The vet was NOT hopeful. He did not want to raise false hopes at all. He thought most likely is a tumor.
Said he just didn't know without major tests. And even then, treatment with success is not expected.
It is not good to see blood from both nostrils and that he just can not diagnose.
We decided to treat the “symptoms” of dried nasal passages and sinus drainage which causes nausea, treat with more antibiotics...

I spent the weekend with my little kitty in a special cage, tending medicine and keeping him clean and as content as I could. Holding and petting him, cuddling him and hoping that he would gain strength.  His nose continued to bleed, vomitting and distress continued.  He deteriorated and Sunday I afternoon I stopped trying to force water and other liquids down him. Tried to give him crushed Pepcid to settle his stomach, but since he could not even hold down water, he could not keep any meds. Nothing, including water would stay down...only caused more stress and he eas ready to stop.  
Today I said goodbye to my little boy. It was so difficult for so many reasons.  He is too young, WAY TO YOUNG and seemed so strong and healthy.  The main cause of the sudden decline is really unknown. Can not understand why, why NOW, why him? I feel CHEATED and so angry that he is gone.  He did not respond well to the euthanasia. Very difficult and was NOT peaceful like Spaz or Si.  Don't want to discuss details of that. Only wanted to close this chapter of my life.  

Tonight marks the first night without a furry companion since 1983!
I am exhausted and so lonely to not have a companion in the house.
Down the road I will get another furry friend. I need them in my life...Cat Dog Rabbit...who knows...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
Sorry to read about Oscar. It is sad when a pet passes but one has to think of the good times. I've got a special folder with our pet photos and sometimes set the screen saver to show the pics. Great memories!

2010 less 1983 = 27 yrs. Wow! That has to be the oldest I know. Our oldest reached 15 but we can't say for sure because we don't know exactly how old she was when we got her.

Take care.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
2010 less 1983 = 27 yrs. Wow! That has to be the oldest I know.
Oh No!   :ss-shocked:  ;) Oscar was only 8 years old as I mentioned.
Clarification:  It has been 27 years since I was without a pet, since 1983! 
I am in withdrawal...

Have had nightmares reliving Oscar's last half hour.  Much different, much worse than any I have been through with any pet.

Evenings and nights are hardest. It has always been my recharge time with my pets (cats and rabbits). Though I love dogs and had them growing up, I have not had them as my personal companions, only shared other people's furry friends. My schedule has always fit best with cats needs.

Yes, I have pictures around the house, on the computer, camera and usb stick so I can access often.  I will eventually get one of the picture frames that show images from an SD card so it can show rotating slide show of family members and pets.  Not in budget today but I DO want one so even if my computer is not in the room, the images are visible.  One I have in a frame in my living room makes my mother laugh everytime she sees it (she's in it trying to keep the Si cat from getting on the bed with her, which was of course impossible.  :D)

One of the semi-feral cats I feed finally came into my screen room and sat on my lap  :ss-shocked: :hapscream: for a couple minutes. Very strange for her, but so nice for me. She won't ever be domestic. Just too wild, so this was really a shock!
-Samantha