Author Topic: photo and graphic of my brother  (Read 5759 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
photo and graphic of my brother
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »
Not an artist, can't draw at all with a pen.
Have used Xara's products for websites, for personal use and for our company projects, both silly and serious. But have never used it to do a human subject.

I decided to try my hand at taking a fav photo of my brother and making a graphic he could use on his website.
Made this graphic for his birthday (this coming tuesday) with Xara Xtreme Pro 5.
Did not use Xara's built-in bitmap trace (never have figured out best way to use it).
I used the photo and my mind's eye for reference. (In real life, his beard can be long/short, but his mustache always hangs over his lips, covering the top of his beard.)

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: photo and graphic of my brother
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
Excellent!  :TUP:

I don't know much about software that does effects but it looks very professionally done.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
I showed this at work and was told that it looked like a cartoon. It took me hours to make this and was surprised that people were surprised by that. Guess I needed to state that image was not made automatically with a filter, or "cartoonized" automatically in any way. No effect was applied to the photo! I MANUALLY drew this image in tiny layers from scratch.  The beard is made up of hundreds of individual hairs of several colors.

Xara Xtreme is like Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator.  They all make VECTOR graphics.  They are often used to make logos since they can be made in one size then stretch, shrink with no grainy changes.  Everything stays in perspective cleanly and clearly. 

Jamie's face is made up of small wierd shaped objects, layered together to create a face.  I drew each one separately. Some are made partially transparent, etc to get the look I was trying for.

You can see the technique when I show you the wire frame of the face:

Glad you like it. It was FUN to do in XXP5.  Really nice break from the database work I have been doing!!!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

My brother just saw it and doesn't like it.   :'(

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »
In medieval times your head would roll if the king did not like his picture, but today we can produce tons of different versions, so try again.  :luck:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
NOPE.  Not gonna do it.

He would not like it and I would just get frustrated.
Will pick a different subject....
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
I think the technique may suit a desert landscape, e.g. sunset on sand dunes, etc.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
yes. it would  :TUP:
-Samantha