Author Topic: Potential Data Loss Warning  (Read 5294 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Potential Data Loss Warning
« on: October 15, 2007, 06:10:13 PM »
Please help!  All of a sudden my site decided not to publish, this is the message I received after making changes & when I started to publish.

POTENTIAL DATA LOSS WARNING !

This Cutesite Builder file was last published to a website that is not the current site.  If you continue, you'll publish it to the current site (and erase its memory of the site it was formerly published to).

If you want to keep copy of this file that remembers the old site, cancel this command, copy this file under a new name, and then use the new file to publish.

Now I don't know it is talking about because I've always use the same name to publish.  I do not have a clue on what to do because I am afraid of losing all the images like I have done before.  I have done the "saved as" and gave it a different name but of course it didn't place any of my images on it.  Any advice would greatly be appreciated, you have helped me in the past, and I need to lean on you again.  THANKS!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Potential Data Loss Warning
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »
Don't panic.  This is not an unusual notice. 
Please read this information.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:28:33 AM »
Sam, I have already done the "SAVE AS" and give the file a new name but when I took a look at it, there were no images loaded to that file. What can I do different to get the images to load when I do the "SAVE AS" & give new file name?

I'm afraid to try anything yet cause I've lost the entire format before and had to start over.  Yes, I also created a back up file but it didn't load the images either.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:45:22 PM »
Hi sorry to hear your problem.

How many pages are in your site?

Is your computer capacity still adequate?

Is it an older computer?

Does this happen when you have nothing else open including those programs that run in the background?

What operating system do you use?

Did you recently install new programs or change your settings prior to the problem starting?

Do you have a registry repair program that you can run in case there is a conflict there?

I ask these questions because similar things started happening to my Cute files on my older computer. Only after I cleaned it up eliminating non used programs, countless jpegs and temp publisher files etc., changed to a lesser bulky virus software and did maintenance, compressions and repairs was I able to avoid this problem. It might not be related but just trying to at least eliminate this possibility.

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
My site is not that big only about 20 pages and I recently just bought this computer with XP and ample enough memory. No new programs added recently and was doing just fine.  Matter-of-fact, I had just published earlier that day and then made more changes and when I went to publish again is when the dialog box showed up. I've ran the disk clean-up but do not have a registry repair loaded.  Any suggestions on that? 

Thanks,
Donna

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »
I have already done the "SAVE AS" and give the file a new name but when I took a look at it, there were no images loaded to that file.

WHOA!  :ss-shocked:  That is wacky. LOSING IMAGES IS YOUR PRIMARY ISSUE.

PART 1 of 2 parts

1) What format are you using for images that you are inserting?  GIF and JPG are preferred formats with the least problems.  Do not use a LOSSLESS JPG as CSB can not store those images.  From the help section of CSB:  "CuteSITE Builder supports the following picture types: .BMP, .DIB, .GIF, .JPG, .PCD, .PCX, .PIC, .PNG, .TGA, .TIF, and .TIFF" 

2) Make sure you are editing/optimizing your images for use on the web BEFORE you place them into CSB.  Some of the digital cameras/scanners create images that are just too big and must be reduced. Are you letting CSB reduce them for you?  Use a photo editing software (IRFANVIEW IS FREE and wonderful for this) to reduce the images to something that CSB can handle.  It does NOT understand newer 2mb images!  Make sure your images are web-ready when you insert them.  (This is a best practice for CSB and ANY web building software).  Web-ready means lightweight.  Yes you need to keep your images clear and easy to see, but web images are different than print-ready images.

Print ready....Prefer 300dpi, often several MB in size, WAY TO BIG and HEAVY to download
Web ready....Prefer 72dpi, should be 1 - 60kb, or for HEAVY images 100-200kb in size!, ready for download.

Some folks load LARGE images (size) or HEAVY images (too many DPI) into CSB and the program gets overwhelmed trying to handle those big things.  Believe me, your VISITORS will appreciate THIN LIGHTWEIGHT images that load quickly and clearly.

3) Have you tried to make a NEW tlx file.  Put in images and publish to a subdirectory of your site?  If CSB can do that then the problem is not CSB, but your tlx file.  You may have one or more images that the code has been corrupted.

4) And lastly.... if you use ANCHORS, they can cause ALL YOUR IMAGES to disappear!  BUT the bright side, they are still in the tlx file. Once you clean your file/anchor names, your images will publish perfectly.  Please read this thread.     I KNOW IT SOUNDS STUPID.  BUT IT IS TRUE!   Please read this post for DETAILS on the issue and the resolution. Read the old post from DIANE Fixed her anchors and the images came back!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:25 PM »
Part 2 of 2 parts

GENERALLY about the SECOND ISSUE of WARNING:
If you want, to give you piece of mind there are 2 things you can do:
1) PREVIEW your website. In publishing options, check the HTML LOCAL DIRECTORY to a folder within your MY DOCS folder.  Then preview.  You will have an exact copy of your current site on your computer, photos and all stored in a folder of your own choosing but can not be put directly into MY DOCUMENTS folder.

2) Copy your already published webpages to your own computer using an FTP program (COREFTP LITE is FREE and nice to use).  You put in the same connection information (user name, password, website, etc) and then connect.  It will allow you to see YOUR computer files on one side of the screen, and your website files on the other.  You can transfer a full copy of your website as it is now to your own computer. (I do this when I update this forum...JUST IN CASE I goof during the update process! ;))  With only 20 pages, it would not transfer a copy of your website to your computer this way.

Then
Check inside the publishing options of CSB... HTML LOCAL DIRECTORY should NOT be checked when you publish.  Then once we have this image thing resoved, go ahead and publish. 

USUALLY that warning appears when the TransferTlx.txt file has been damaged or does not match your CSB file.
That happens in lost of ways..most are not tramatic or a major problem.
Ex:  If you are uploading to the site and your connection is reset for some reason (lose power, internet fails in your area, etc) CSB will have changed a page or two but did not complete the TransferTlx.txt file.  So you get the warning.  OFTEN when you choose to publish, CSB will only need to update just a page or two to correct the TransferTlx.txt file.  Sometimes all pages must republish. Once you have a full republish, you will not get that message again until you are out of balance again.

If you are publishing to the SAME SITE WITH THE SAME SETTINGS, chances are very good this is a MINOR blip.

When I get it, it does make me double check that I am editing the most current file. 
If I edit an OLDER version of the file and try to publish, I get that WARNING that stops me from messing up the site.  I close that file and edit the CURRENT version and publish without incident.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:00:25 PM »
To answer one of your questions below .. I use registry mechanic. It may not be related but you can do a free check there I think and see if you have issues. It is a good program and sometimes if things start going screwy in my programs I run a check and always find things. Most quirks are repaired by running a check and repair or delete.

This may not be the cause of your problem but I always think it is a good idea to have a registry program.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment