Author Topic: Can anyone help me with this problem?  (Read 9296 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
Can anyone help me with this problem?
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I have a CSB web page that I built around 4 or 5 years ago.  Yesterday I was adding a picture and I hit some wrong key and I could not see what I had but I knew the picture was on there so I hit save, thank goodness I did not hit publish.  :v8slap: Now my problem is that my current publish that is still on the web site is not what comes up when I go into CSB to update or maintain.  Instead a really old previous one is coming up.   :'( I have tried doing a search using *.tlx in my computer search area and only 3 really old ones come up.....not the current published one.  :'( Is there a way I can get what is currently published back into my CSB maintenance area?  I hope I do not have to rebuild all of this! :banghead:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Can anyone help me with this problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
I have tried doing a search using *.tlx in my computer search area and only 3 really old ones come up.....not the current published one.

Check your RECYCLE BIN.
See if your file was deleted and put in there.  If so, restore it.

Open CSB from your start menu:  Start, programs, globalscape, CSB
- Click the button for open EXISTING Website file (third on on popup box)
- Look at the names of the files listed.  Are any your current file?  Open it and file save as to put it into your My Documents folder (or whereever you want)

In CSB4 and CSB5, one of the publishing options was to send a backup of your tlx file to the host.
If you had that checked it would have slowed your publishing, but you would have a complete backup of the tlx design file.  Check for a file that ends in .CAB on your site.  (If you have me test your settings, I will look for the backup file for you.)   If you have it, you can download it, and follow the instructions on this page to use it again
That would be your BEST situation.
Unfortunately, MOST PEOPLE DO NOT ask CSB to make a backup.  It makes publishing take longer.

If you DID ask CSB to make the backup file, it will be easy to find on your website.
Use an FTP software to connect to your website.
Then go to where your home page is.
Scroll up and down through the window and look for a file name that ends in .cab
If you have one, you will be in luck. 
You can download that file and import it into CSB and FILE SAVE AS and give it a new name and continue your work.

Did you copy any of your tlx design files onto REMOVEABLE storage?
- CD
- DVD
- Zip Drive
- USB thumbnail drive
- ANYTHING removeable?

- Did you recently open your older version and save over your CURRENT file with an older version (open older and save to the new one's name)?
- Have you recently made any changes to your computer,
- Did you install/uninstall/reinstall anything?
- Did you run any CLEANING software - Cleans registry, removes unused files, etc?
- Did you do a roll back on your computer for any reason?
- What have you RECENTLY done on the machine since you last posted to the website with the CURRENT file? 

If a search for *.tlx file did not find the file, and it is NOT in the recycle bin, chances are good that you deleted the file somehow or wrote over it with an older version.

Before doing anything else, you MUST get a copy of everything on your website.
The way it is right now.
This is VERY important.

Use FTP software or file manager/control panel at your host to download ALL PAGES, ALL FILES of your website to your own computer as a backup.
Make a backup of everything out there so if you mess up while rebuilding you can put something back up.   Depending on the size of the site this may take a long time but WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

Unless you have kept a copy on a backup drive, USB stick, CD, DVD, zip drive etc, or have the CAB file stored on your website, you will NOT be able to recover your existing work.
You will need to open your website in Internet Explorer and start to copy and paste from your web pages into your tlx design file for fastest rebuilding.  Or redesign as you go along, rebuilding pages.  Make sure you keep the names of your web pages the SAME as you have them now so all your links will be the same.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »
I have checked the recycle bin, not there. :'(

I opened using the start menu, none of the files are my current one. :'(

I have CSB5, but have not ask for a backup when publishing.  You mentioned that if I had backup checked it would do backup.  Where do I look to see if it is checked?

I don't understand what you mean by using a FTP software to connect to my website.  Can you explain that to me?

Unfortunately, I have not copied to any removable storage. :'(

I am afraid I may have saved an older version over my current file.  I'm not sure how I might have did that.   When this happened I was in my current file and I went into Editing Page Layout.  I think what might have happened is that instead of just closing and getting out of there, I closed but I hit save first.  Would that have caused the problem?  I did not do anything in editing page layout, just went in...saw that was not what I wanted and was just closing out completely to get out of it.  I have done this before, but this was the first time that I went ahead and hit save. :-\

If I have to copy everything from my website I may need a little more instruction.  I will wait and see what you think.  I would be glad to have you test my settings.  Just let me know what you need from me.

Are you saying that if I have to end up doing a copy and rebuilding that if I keep my page names the same then the pictures will just link on and be there or am I going to have to put all the pictures back? :v8slap: :banghead: :'(

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »
I have CSB5, but have not ask for a backup when publishing.  You mentioned that if I had backup checked it would do backup.  Where do I look to see if it is checked?
File, Publish website, then click the OPTIONS button at the bottom.
You will see a box that you can check to send a copy of your tlx file to the website.
Go to this page to see screen prints.

If you have the box checked, when you publish a copy of the design file is sent to your host with your web pages.
If you DO NOT have the box checked, no backup copy is made.

You MUST get a copy of everything on your website.   The way it is right now.
This is VERY important. 

Use FTP software or file manager/control panel at your host to download ALL PAGES, ALL FILES of your website to your own computer as a backup.
This page has a description of all the basic CSB and FTP publishing setting terminology.  What is the FTP host different than the FTP site?  issues are clarified on that page.  Consider COREFTP Lite (free, very good, very stable ftp software with no nag screens, adware)
Make a backup of everything out there so if you mess up while rebuilding you can put something back up.   Depending on the size of the site this may take a long time but WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

If I have to copy everything from my website I may need a little more instruction.  I will wait and see what you think.
Sounds like you have no choice here.
Open your old tlx design file, FILE SAVE AS and give it a new name. 
You will use this new file to rebuild the site.
Now open your website in a browser window.  Recommend Internet Explorer for this.
Copy and paste content from your existing web pages into your tlx design file.
(place mouse on page, drag and right click it to copy a paragraph, a table, a photo, etc then click in the CSB tlx design file and CTRL V to paste the content into your design file.)
Repeat until you have rebuilt your web pages.

If you have pages on your website that are NOT in the tlx design file, you will need to add them to the file.
Make sure you NAME THEM the same as you currently have so your links do not break.
Changing page names is VERY easy.
You right click your page and go into the PAGE PROPERTIES to set your page names!
CSB3 and 4:  You type in the name of the page into the SHORT TITLE field. Page properties shown here
CSB5:  You type in the name of the page into the FILE NAME field.
Page properties shown here

So if you want the page to be named id39.htm, you would type in id39 into the field I listed above.

Make a copy of your h**p://www.yourwebsite.com/TransferTlx.txt file
It lists ALL THE PAGES that CSB uploads to your website.

When you publish this new tlx design file, it will OVERWRITE and may delete your current images off the server so you need to copy the information into your new tlx design file.

Read this page about Backing up your website information.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:28:21 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:33:48 PM »
"have tried doing a search using *.tlx"

Last shot:
try searching by the name instead of extension...

T
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Samantha thank you for the help.  Of Course the box was not checked for the backup. :(
So I have now finished the copy and paste for the rebuild and have saved but have not published yet.  On two of my pages, I had a lot of pictures.  The only way I could find to get them into the rebuild was to copy and paste one at a time.  I so far
have one of the pages with all the pictures in the rebuild, but I notice that they are now just thumbnail size.  :'( Before they were thumbnail, but you could double click on them and they would enlarge.  Is there something I can do to get them that way again?  Another question, my rebuild pages do not have to be in the same order as my currently published website that I am copying from, do they?   :-\Another question, I do not understand what you said about when I do get ready to publish....can you explain that part to me.  ??? Thanks so much, so far it has not taken nearly as long as I though it would.   :boogie:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
Did you try looking for the file by the name as Tony suggested? 

Sorry to hear that the backup box was not checked.  Usually it is not.
Glad to hear that your copy/paste is going along well.

copy and paste one at a time
Sometimes you can copy a whole table at one time.
Sometimes you must do it piece by piece.
Try placing your mouse above the table that holds your pictures, hold down left mouse button and drag downward to try to grab the WHOLE table at one time. That may or may not work for you.
Results depend on how you built the page the first time around.

so far have one of the pages with all the pictures in the rebuild, but I notice that they are now just thumbnail size.
Yes. This is what your web page has now, that is what you will work with again.

Before they were thumbnail, but you could double click on them and they would enlarge.  Is there something I can do to get them that way again?

I can not see your original webpages to guide you since you have not provided your webpage address. 
To duplicate what you have now I would need to see what you have done before.

Generally speaking, it is a two step process for linked thumbnails. 
Once you have the thumbnails in your web page, you will probably have to link each to the large images.
All the larger copies of the images are on your website now.
As I have said, get a copy of those files onto YOUR OWN COMPUTER, then you can use them to link the thumbnails.

Warning: When you publish this new tlx design file, it will OVERWRITE and may delete your current images off the server so you need to copy the information into your new tlx design file, and DEFINITELY have a copy of everything on your website back onto your own computer BEFORE YOU PUBLISH that new design file.

Another question, my rebuild pages do not have to be in the same order as my currently published website that I am copying from, do they?
As long as you have the same NAME on each page you rebuild, the ORDER does not matter.

Another question, I do not understand what you said about when I do get ready to publish....can you explain that part to me.
What do you mean? What part are you referring to? 

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
My website is h**p://www.lowellgardenclub.com
This is the part that I do not understand what you are telling me:
"When you publish this new tlx design file, it will OVERWRITE and may delete your current images off the server so you need to copy the information into your new tlx design file."  When I did a copy and paste of each page and put the pages into my rebuild didn't I already do this?  I have just saved so far, I have not published as I still have the size issue of the thumbnails/photos to work with.

you also said: "get a copy of those files onto YOUR OWN COMPUTER, then you can use them to link the thumbnails."  I also do not understand what you are telling me.

I'm sorry I am being so dense, it's just me...actually I am surprised I have got this far with the instructions.  thank you so much, will wait for your reply.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:56:31 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
I don't think it matters for what I am doing, but thought I better tell you I have VISTA.

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:34 AM »
I just checked your site. I realized why you were confused with thumbnails and large photos.
You didn’t link the small photos to a large one, but to a page containing the big picture. This way you created a single page for each photo.  ALL your photos within your program were uploaded to your server by CuteSiteBuilder (CSB).

I also have a photo gallery (see h**p://www.iarfish.com/1d47.htm – replace the asterisks for tt in your browser) and I did it in a different way: I uploaded the big ones using  ANOTHER FTP program (as they are generally called), then, in my program, I created a table inserting the thumbnails and finally I LINKED those thumbs to the large copy of each photo on the server. You get it?  ;)

Just in case you don’t, once you have loaded the large version of the photos to your server, giving them a name and extension (usually MyPhoto.jpg paying special attention of the spelling, capital and low case letters to write the same when linking), you can build a table within your program containing all the thumbs you want, and then establish a link between them and its large version on the server.  Doing this way, you can also check to see if the large shows up when clicking the thumb in your program even if you haven’t published yet…

To do it, once you know the name of the big photo you want to link, you can right-click on the thumbnail of the same photo in your recently created table, then select “Link” from the Tool Bar and click on “Create Link to URL or File…”

This will open a small “Link Properties” window: in the box with  http:// write the entire link, e.:  http://www.yoursitename.com/NameOfThePhoto.jpg taking care, once again, to write the name of the big picture exactly as you uploaded them, including the extension. That’s it.

When you publish, the big pictures are already on the server, not WITHIN your program, so they haven’t have to be uploaded again, they will stay there (CBS don’t “see” them) as long as YOU don’t MANUALLY remove them. Doing this way, the publish time will be shorter because it doesn’t have to upload such amount of weight, talking in MegaBytes terms.

Ah… the name of the thumbnails in your table CAN be different as their parent on the server. In any case, CSB will CHANGE the names of all pictures within the program in alphanumeric names when publish. The only pictures that will keep the name you gave it will be the manually FTP loaded pictures (uploaded using another program, not using CSB)

My English is not very good, let me know if I could explain myself... and if this was your doubt about small and large pictures.  :yes:  Any way Sami will correct me and explain it better.

T

P.S.
I suggested to search for name because some times can be found on "Recent" or "Temp" or whatever folds...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:08:06 AM by Tony41 »
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Thanks Tony for getting in here.
Tony just went through having to rebuild his site, use older file to bring it forward.
Big job!!  Great Job!!

Both of you have GALLERIES of thumbnails. 
Both of you click the thumbnail and a large image appears.
There are a few ways to do this.
You achieved similar results in different ways.
BOTH are acceptable.  BOTH are very usable. 
But please note that there are big differences on HOW you did it, and the RESULTS!
Tony explained how he made his gallery/large image display in his post. 
I will repeat some of it here so I can compare it to how you made your gallery last time so you can make a choice which way you want to rebuild.
This is a personal preference choice.  How do you want YOUR gallery displayed?

Tony:
HOW: Tony uploads the large pictures manually. He uses another piece of software (FTP) to load them to the website. CSB is not used to do this. The CSB design file does not know that those images exist because they are not stored in the tlx design file.
LINK:  He then uses a URL style link to point to that picture that he has already sent to the website.
PICTURES: His large images are NOT on blank pages.  They are not connected to each other.  You can not move from large picture to large picture in his gallery. You must close the page and go back to the gallery to click another thumbnail.
his gallery:   h**p://www.iarfish.com/id47.htm   
Click that first picture and you are sent directly to a large image of the evil fish
h**p://www.iarfish.com/nino_sciabola.jpg 
Note that image is not on a web page. Tony links directly to the photo itself.

YOUR existing gallery
HOW: You uploaded the large pictures using CSB.  You placed each large image into its own web page.
You have a SEQUENCE LINE with several pages on it.  Each page has a picture.  The SEQUENCE LINE uplinks back to the web page that has the gallery (right click on the white sequence line on your map, choose UPLINK and click the page that has the gallery)
LINK:  You used SELECTION and clicked the web page with the right large image to link the thumbnail to the large image.  Each of the large image web pages has other links on it (arrows) that allow you to travel from large image to large image without having to go back to the main gallery.
Your gallery:   h**p://www.lowellgardenclub.com/garden_walk_2008.htm
Click on the first picture and you are sent to a web page that holds the large image.
h**p://www.lowellgardenclub.com/id140.htm
Notice how that page has -> links that carry you page to page.  Your visitors can take a garden walk from large image to large image.  When done, they can go back UP to the main gallery page garden_walk_2008.htm
PICTURES:
Your large images are each given their own web page.  You would need to copy/paste EACH large image into its own page on that sequence line.

TOTALLY YOUR CHOICE.

When you publish, the big pictures are already on the server, not WITHIN your program, so they haven’t have to be uploaded again, they will stay there (CBS don’t “see” them) as long as YOU don’t MANUALLY remove them.
Tony... Unfortuantely, this instruction may not be true in this case.
Since the last publish of the last tlx design file DID contain those photos, CSB DOES know that they exist and MIGHT remove them from the website if the copy/paste project is not complete, including the LARGE images!

Why? When CSB connects to the website during the publishing process, CSB will check the TlxTransfer.txt file already on the website.  The TlxTransfer.txt file is created by CSB every time you publish.  It contains a full list of all images, all website files that CSB uploaded to the web. When CSB tries to upload the NEW version of the website, CSB will compare the NEW design file against what it did the last time. CSB will know that certain files are NOT in the new design file and CAN remove anything that it does not need now. 

get a copy of those files onto YOUR OWN COMPUTER, then you can use them to link the thumbnails."  I also do not understand what you are telling me..
This instruction is TOTALLY different than the rebuild.  This is a safety net.
Right now your site is INTACT, working, all files are available and useable.
I want you to make a full and complete copy of your existing website the way it is NOW by using FTP software or using your web host control panel.  Somehow, I want you to connect to your files and download ALL files, make a backup copy on your own computer AS IS, a completed version.
Why? Because you need a backup if something goes wrong. You are rebuilding. Copy Paste.  But what happens if you miss something?  What happens if your file is corrupted before you get it finished.  What happens if your host loses a hard drive before you complete your rebuild?  There are SO MANY reasons why you should have a complete backup of your final HTML website files, images, etc BEFORE you try to publish your new design file.  If you publish that design file without a backup, you stand a chance of losing files/images that you can not get back.  Your choice.  But this is easily avoidable.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:02:53 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »

When you publish, the big pictures are already on the server, not WITHIN your program, so they haven’t have to be uploaded again, they will stay there (CBS don’t “see” them) as long as YOU don’t MANUALLY remove them.
Tony... Unfortuantely, this instruction may not be true in this case.
Since the last publish of the last tlx design file DID contain those photos, CSB DOES know that they exist and MIGHT remove them from the website if the copy/paste project is not complete, including the LARGE images!

I meant in the suggested case of uploading images using an FTP program during the rebuilding process...
I noticed at the start of my post that images were uploaded by CSB, not separately.

As I said Terry, Sami would explain it much, much better than me...  :yes:  ;)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
No...not better better explanation.  I just approach from a different angle. 

You have direct experience with this issue and your advice is very important!
I am very pleased to have your input!  :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
Thanks Tony and Sami for your help.  :D My choice would be to have them like I did them the first time (like they are in my currently published page).  Sami, I tried to do what I thought you meant and I guess I do not understand.  :-\ One of my problems seems to be that after I make a sequene line with pages and put a picture on each page, I do not have the uplink available (it is not highlighted so that I can choose it).  :-\ Sorry, I really am not an expert by any means at this.  :v8slap: It is a wonder I was able to build the site in the first place.  ??? Somehow I did it with no help and no instructions.  :-\ Anyway can you go into more detail on how to get my large images back on my rebuild?  I have the rebuild all done except for the pictures. 
Terry

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 01:17:07 AM »
Ok...lets try again.....

new sequence line (right click map, sequence line)  = you did this
add new pages to the sequence line = you did this
put one large image on each page = you did this

UPLINK the sequence line:

The image shows one sequence that is already uplinked...has vertical line to the page above.

The other sequence is being uplinked.

Then when the cursor changes, choose the page you want to go back to.

Then each of your pages should have those arrows if you are using a page layout that offers arrows.
If your pages do not have arrows, you can choose FORMAT Apply Page Layout and choose a layout for the page that has arrows on it.

Go to your gallery page.  Right click the first thumbnail, choose Link to a page using SELECTION and choose the correct large image page on your map.  Repeat until every thumbnail has a linked large image page.

If it will help you find the right image, you can split your working window in half, show gallery on one side, large images on the other side.
Use VIEW SPLIT cut your working window into two pieces so you can see two pages at a time - instructions. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:38:01 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 05:08:08 AM »
I don't think you answered Tony's question whether you searched by the file name, rather than the .tlx extension. It is a good question. It is a long shot, but possible that you have accidentally modified or deleted the .tlx extension in the file name. In this case CSB will not recognise it. If you find a file of the correct name, but with a missing or modified extension, copy it, then rename the copy with .tlx extension.

Rick

(back from the wilds of China - for a couple of months, then off to Tibet!)  :)
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
 :boogie:I have it all rebuild, backed up, and published!!!! :boogie:
Sami, thank you for your help, I could not have done it without you!  :D :clapping: I even learned better ways to do things that I had been struggling with before. LOL
Terry

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »
Thank you to Tony also!  We both had to do a rebuild...not fun!   yes I had checked by the file name too...it was just not any where.  I now have a backup on a CD and I have the box checked to make a backup each time I publish.
Terry

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
I am so pleased for you!   CONGRATULATIONS
 :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
-Samantha