Author Topic: Viral Marketing - Just don't do it  (Read 12701 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Viral Marketing - Just don't do it
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
trackapartner.c      is one of the many sites that are set up to collect legitimate phone numbers to sell to tele marketers. Another example of viral marketing and exposing your own self to having your phone number gleaned by pesky marketers are the call your friends and leave a message gadgets that are frequently found on myspace's and other blog or group type sites. Believe me once they have a number it gets passed on forever.

Another bad viral marketing area are the web sites that ask you to put your friend's names into any form along with their email address so they can send a personalized message = sometimes including a clever video - that displays your friend's name - such as the "Joe Smith etc" is running for president video. ( a recent addition to the scum playing field ) Even some of the free e=card sites in spite of their privacy policies do this so think before you send an ecard. Does your friend or family member really want their name and address given out like that?

I have tested a few of the card sites using the handy mailinator site for bogus return mails. Hallmark didnt' spam me but some of the others did.

Just a warning. My friends don't listen and keep sending me viral marketing junk - oh gee thanks friends lol.. Maybe someone will happen along and realize not to do these sorts of things that they never thought about as to why a site would set up such a free service in the first place.

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Viral Marketing - Just don't do it
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »
FREE postcard sites have been well documented for pulling this type of scam.

If you find something funny on a website, send a link to the site. Don't use Tell a friend forms, don't put their email addys into silly stuff. That action can cause years of headaches for your "Friend".
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

D.Unsup

Viral Marketing Just dont do it
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Riding on the back of Carltons Big Ad it seems as though Vividas is enjoying great business and getting noticed around Viral marketing.

Does anyone know of other technology providers that provide a similar service within Australia?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:18:28 PM »
nope.  maybe Rick does
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
Maybe, if I know what Viral marketing is!  ???
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:03:18 PM »
I am wondering about this remark in general. When I looked at the link it is something that I don't understand the tie in to viral marketing.

Viral marketing is using techniques that cause an idea or product to spread easily. Viral marketing tools are email campaigns, you tube videos, twitter etc. Anything that can be picked up and passed on is how I think of viral marketing. Put one thing out - and it is picked up and spread on by others along the line.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment