Author Topic: links  (Read 5286 times)

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
links
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:05:27 PM »
Hello everyone,
    I'm sure there are answers to my question somewhere in this website but I enjoy the communication with you helpful members. So how do I add a link to my website without having everything dissappear when you x out of the linked page? I think you it is referred to as making the link come up on a new brower window ... so when you x out of the link your website will still be there after the linked page is gone... thanks, Tom in Oregon

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: links
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:39:52 PM »
Default setting is to open pages in the SAME web browser window.

When sending your visitors to another website, you might choose to open in a new window.

Type your link text
Highlight it, then right click and choose to make it a URL style link.

You can choose to open a link several ways:
in a new window with target="_blank"       
in the same window with target="_top"   
in a particular frame target="TRLX_Middle" (if publishing with frames)
in a particular iframe window with target="FRAME1" 

In CSB4 and CSB5, those options are BELOW the URL address box..  Just click the dropdown to select which one you want.

Have CSB3 or Trellix?  You can type the target statement   " target="TRLX_Middle    on the same line as the url address. Add a quote mark BEFORE the target statement, but DO NOT put the last " behind the statement because the program will do it for you!

Using other software you would set a link using code like this:
Code: [Select]
<A HREF="http://www.samisite.com/" TARGET="_blank"    TITLE="Website tutorials"><B>SamiSite.com</B></A>
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:10:28 PM »
Thanks Sami but I don't get it...I am using Cutesitebuilder 3. When I want to link a page, email, or url...I hit "link" in the menu  bar and a dropdown menu comes up with "link to page," "link to url," etc... Or I highlight text and a box comes up with "copy, paste, format, link to a page using, link to anchor using, link to url etc... and this is how I have been linking all my links. So I don't understand how this connects with the instructions you gave me ... sorry, I am not a nerd, or a geek, just a uninformed musician! Tom in Oregon

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »
Not a problem.....Lets go into more detail for YOUR situation, CSB3.
(And I moved this thread to the CSB section for better organization.

Have CSB3 or Trellix?  You can type the target statement   " target="_blank    on the same line as the url address. Add a quote mark BEFORE the target statement, but DO NOT put the last " behind the statement because the program will do it for you!

Type your text or insert your image.
Highlight (select) the text or image that will be used for linking
RIGHT CLICK
Choose "link to url"
Type in the name of the destination, and follow it with   " target="_blank    for a new window.

This image shows WHERE you would type the statement.
(CSB4 and CSB5 ALSO have a dropdown below the URL address line, but CSB3 only has the URL address line.

Examples:  for a page called id77.htm, all these links would open a NEW window!
1. To a page in the same directory you can use just the name page. 
in box type       id77.htm" target="_blank

2. To a page using a FULL URL type address:    (replace h**p with http)
in box type       h**p://www.yourwebsite.com/id77.htm" target="_blank

3. To a page using a FULL URL type address in a subdirectory:    (replace h**p with http)
in box type       h**p://www.yourwebsite.com/photos/id77.htm" target="_blank

If you change " target="_blank  to " target="_top  the page will open in the same window where you started.

If you publish with frames turned ON, you can make your borders stay put and have pages load into the center of the page.  If you change " target="_blank  to " target="TRLX_Middle  the page will open in the MIDDLE of the webpage.  Read about frames here and see samples.

If you change " target="_blank  to " target="FRAME1  the page will open in an iframe (a window you cut in your webpage) called FRAME1.  (one line of code makes that window if you want one). Read about iframes here.  The image I posted here is actually part of that tutorial!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:55:16 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• eugenepictureframing
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »
Well I must say...you communicate very well Sami! You are probably a genius and now I understand how to do what I asked...thanks a million!Tom in Oregon

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:08 AM »
Thanks for the detailed Q & A. It's made me think and cleared up a little problem I had too.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 12:26:11 PM »
Glad to be of help. :D    Used to write some how-to manuals as part of my old job!
CSB3 and Trellix users have used that method for years with great success.

CSB 4 and 5 are lucky to have the drop down choice so we do not have to type in the target statement each time for opening new windows or using frames.  But we do have to type the statement if we are using an IFRAME.

BY THE WAY, THERE IS ANOTHER USE FOR THIS SAME FIELD!!!
You can add a floating tooltip to your link!  Instead of moving your mouse over the link and seeing the page name, you can put a STATEMENT in about your link! Hover over link you can see the topic of the link.  

This time you can add in a " title="your statement here
h**p://www.the---site.com/maps/georgia/atlanta.pdf" title="Printable map of Atlanta Locations  SIMPLE.  

YES... You can have a TARGET and a TITLE statement on the same URL line.
Remember that CSB will put in ONE " for you.  Always the last one in the chain.
So you could have a link like this:
 h**p://www.yourwebsite.com/id77.htm" target="_blank" title="your statement here

This is the version of the code needed for a regular HTML editor.  Note it has a final "....
Code: [Select]
h**p://www.yourwebsite.com/id77.htm" target="_blank" title="your statement here"

Etienne, what was your situation?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:06:13 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
My situation was - I have a page for past news letters with an iframe in it. The main page has links on the left side (almost like a framed site but the site is not framed) and the iframe shows the newsletters as one clicks the links on the main page. My problem was to default show the most recent news letter every time the page main page is opened after publishing a new news letter. I could'nt get my syntax right and your instructions to target a page sorted it out.

Thanx,
Etienne
:dogwalksm: Ed