Author Topic: Right border appears in FF, but not IE6  (Read 4834 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
Right border appears in FF, but not IE6
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm trying to update my home page and started by adding a right border, which I've never had anywhere in CSB before. As is ALWAYS the case, FireFox works, looks beautiful and manages stuff just right. I take the preview copy and open IE6, and the only thing that appears in the right border is the very top graphic.... not any of the links underneath that graphic, not the next graphic, nor it's sub-links.  I see Sami recommends using a blank page and tables.... is that the solution for me??

Is there an "I hate Internet Explorer" forum herein??   :banghead: :banghead:   

I've just killed the entire afternoon trying to search for a solution - and now, no updated website.

darn... it's nearly happy hour  :clapping: and nothing's done! :v8slap:

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Cheryl M

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Right border appears in FF, but not IE6
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
Well, without seeing the page ourselves, wild guesses would be needed.  Seeing would help to diagnose the specific issue.....

You might check out these pages dealing with borders:
Turn them on/off:  http://www.samisite.com/backgrounds/nfborder/id55.htm
priority:  http://www.samisite.com/backgrounds/nfborder/id45.htm 

You may extra spaces in this area
Or
You may have set your MARGIN for that border too deep.
Right click on the border
Choose Properties
Check your margins, make them SMALLER (1, 2 or 3 for left and right)

To see everything in your border, temporarily check the box for the scroll bar and then look again.  Now you will be able to see where you have extra spaces, etc and be able to adjust the contents of this area. 

Also you may need to adjust the color of the font or links for the border area.....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
Hi, Sami ~

Thanks for your response. I had already read your tutorial on borders earlier this afternoon. It surely doesn't seem to me that it's a case of extra spaces.

I'm sending you a link to a copy of the index.html that CSB5 created while in Preview mode. You can view this with FF and with IE6 and get totally different results. Since I hadn't actually published this index, the graphics aren't showing, but you can see what I'm talking about regarding the variances between the two browsers.

I hesitate to post my website in the forum because the last time you helped me, and I did post my website in the Globalscape forum, I have forever more found the results in search engines regarding my company name. I just don't like that. I think these help forums should be "not public" -- but, that's not the way it works.

Anyway, if you can view this link (w/o the extra spaces) in both FF and IE6, you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.o ny x x p r essio ns.com/+index.html

Thanks for taking a look when your schedule permits.

I finally threw up the flag this afternoon and put everything back in the left column.  :surrender:  and published that just to get something done. But, while I'm at it, I'd like to know why it is on the real index.html that I CANNOT get the left border items to be centered properly. I go through each property and make sure that the object is centered.... but the published results (and even the CSB results) don't all look centered. Why is that :'( ?????

Cheryl M

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:49:51 PM »
Linking in the forums: I agree that links to websites when discussing "problem" issues can be a headache. 
I recommend that when you post about your site on ANY forum that you break a link...replace the TT with asterisks or other characters. h**p://www.onyxxpressions.com/index.html  This method allows the users of the forum to be able to grab an address but not have search engines link to your site from the discussion.  This technique is tried and true for years.

What was your member name at GS forum?  I will see if I can modify your previous posts to trim some of those links from future searches.  Course if Google has cached those pages, we will not be able to clear those.

As to your IE and Firefox issue, there will ALWAYS be differences in the way the two browsers display your site unless you hand-code and manually tweak!  The browsers render differently.  Table border colors appear in IE not in FF, FF is more friendly for other things....

Centering issues in the border... ??? ???   Just have a few minutes tonight.... Quick glance at your home page gave me these notes besides the fact that I LOVE  :hearts: your purple background!!!

I saw that you have a javascript in the left border that creates a drop down menu for themes. How did you insert that item into your CSB page?  Are you using CSB's INSERT HTML option?  I did not see the normal CSB notations for inserted code for that first drop-down menu. That makes me wonder if you are changing your HTML page after CSB creates it? If so, you are going about this the hard way. And that might be part of the problem...maybe.  ???  Using the HTML Insert option allows CSB to leave your code intact, but you can CENTER that inserted box after you have inserted it. If you don't like the size of the inserted html placeholder, you can change it (check out this page) to fit the space better.  In fact, sometimes you NEED to change it!  STRANGE NOTE: If you use a LARGE placeholder image and it should be smaller to fit the space properly, the LARGE placeholder image can actually affect the placement of the code, or spacing in tables, etc.

Extra spaces and indents and floating returns get tangled in the codes and can make your results uneven.
CSB can help you FIND the spaces.  Go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, Text and check the box to show hidden characters (spaces) and you will suddenly see dots where you have spaces.  I keep this on at all times. Nice tool.

I would recommend that you highlight groups of items in the left border and do the following to each group:
(ex: from Galleries to project ideas)
- highlight a group
- make them all left aligned.
- adjust your spaces, remove extras if needed
- manually press your ENTER key at the end of each line to force a hard return.
- make sure you do not have any indents set
(you can go into format paragraph and check settings in there too once you have cleaned/pruned anything that should not be there).
- highlight that section again and center it as a group. 
This cleaning technique OFTEN resolves most issues.

By the way, I saw that New Images has the S outside the link.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
I recommend ... replace the TT with asterisks :: h**p://www.onyxxpressions.com/index.html 

Excellent suggestion. Will try that from hereon when posting.

What was your member name at GS forum?  I will see if I can modify your previous posts to trim some of those links from future searches.

I tried sending you PM twice last night -- doesn't seem to work.

As to your IE and Firefox issue, there will ALWAYS be differences [...] The browsers render differently.

Yup, I know. I've been at this long enough to realize that. But, it doesn't make sense that FF shows the right-hand border, and IE6 doesn't show anything but one graphic. I can't imagine what would need to be done to tweak it, and it's not worth it.

I LOVE your purple background!!!

Thanks!!  :clapping:

[...] you have a javascript drop down menu. How did you insert that?  Using CSB's INSERT HTML option?

No. I don't know how to use that option. I just inserted js code into a regular Insert box. Although when previewing it on my local machine, the js worked.... it wouldn't work once it was uploaded to the net.  So, I just manually edited a copy of the index.html and kept uploading it to test until I got it to work.  I copied and put the appropriate codes like </div> at the top of the insert dialogue box. Eventually, got it to work right within CSB. So, I don't have to edit it each time. Lots of ways to skin cats, right? rofl

[...] the size of the inserted html placeholder

I changed mine a long time ago to a baby ladybug - it's so cute!

Extra spaces and indents and floating returns get tangled in the codes and can make your results uneven.

THAT'S WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS -- INDENTS on sequence lists!!!  :boogie: You got it.  :clapping:  Selecting ALL in the left border and resorting to LEFT justiry immediately showed how convoluted the whole list was with indents. Had to go find how to undo the indents.... which I finally discovered.  Now the new version has been uploaded and it looks SO MUCH BETTER

Thank you, Sami, for all your suggestions. It's SO NICE to have an expert one can turn to. I've always been the helpdesk for everyone I know, and then no one to turn to when I have a problem.  I love the phrase: "Contact Your System Administrator for Assistance".  -- Oh yeah, wonder if you're it???     Now, there's YOU!!   :hearts:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
 :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :kickdancing: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Congrats!!!
Glad you got that resolved.  Glad to be of help!
That's the whole purpose behind samisite and the forum...users helping users! 
We have several very knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum, not just me!
EVERYONE needs a leg up now and then.

At my office, I am their "it" girl.  Notice I did not say IT person, just the "it" girl.
I am not a formally trained IT/System Administrator, but I play one in our office. When computers, printers, cables, servers, internet, email, programs have hiccups, I drop my normal stuff and track down the problems.  98 time out of 100 I can resolve it without external assistance.  Every now and then I have to seek outside help.  I LOVE this stuff.  Have an affinity for learning programs and understanding the general computing experience. 

You can not send personal messages yet.  Must have at least 5 posts on the forum to get personal messages.  Keeps spammers from signing up, signing in and flooding the personal messages!  I did go into your profile and changed your email address to hidden so it can not be harvested. We can still email you but the address is not listed in the member list anymore.

Join the games and your "rank" on the forum goes up....You are still just "checking the place out"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:33:31 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »
Thanks for changing my email, Sami. I appreciate that.

And I should've known about the PM requirements - another forum I participate in has the same requirements.  Wasn't thinking.

Yes, I too, used to love all things software and PCs, but with everything else going on running an online biz, I just don't have the luxury to play and explore anymore. I just need answers - you know?

I didn't intend to shortchange the contributions of the other user-members here; it's just that my focus has been to read what's on your Samisite first to find out if what I need to know is already there. It's so well laid out by category, topics are easy to find. Forums require a bit of a search, which is a bit of a time drain sometimes.

BTW, you have a link on your SS that is supposed to point to KW's site regarding a demo (/DEMO25) on how to break up a large tlx file. But, apparently, that is not on that site anymore.   :(  I'd enjoy learning about that because it's high time I break my site down to more manageable sections.

I just keep wondering, if we learn something new everyday, where does all the old stuff go???  rofl

Again, thanks for all your help.

Cheryl M

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
Thank you for the kind words about samisite.

I didn't intend to shortchange the contributions of the other user-members here;
Oh, I didn't take it that way at all.  This forum and the site is a collaborative effort! Without the members that contribute time and effort to help others, I would not have this forum!  The site has always been a testing ground, a work in progress, learn new techniques, help someone understand an old one....  Many of the tutorials come from someone asking....How do I....? on one of the forums.  Without the questions, we would not have the pages posted!

Thanks for the heads up about the tutorial being down! That one is important.
I guess I will have to work up a simple step by step to replace KW's pages.    :yes:
It has not been hosted on his CSBsupport site!  It was actually on the OLDER kwsupport.com site and never moved over.  It has been a guessing game as to when that demo would go away.

He took a tlx file, screen shots and divided the tlx into 3 parts.  I will not go that far.  Just simple 1, 2, 3 stuff since I already cover other details of subdirectories on my own website.  May add it to that page or make a thread in the forum to cover it....  Will get something posted this week. 
EASY to do.  Time consuming, but EASY.  AND SO WORTH THE EFFORT.

-Samantha