Author Topic: Why is CSB5 programs deleted ?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline hidden

Why is CSB5 programs deleted ?
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »
I run my registry cleaner (Registry Easy) and it deletes the popup list of program or websites that I am working on and gives me a choice of one of them. It does not delete CSB5
I can re-install CSB5 then all works ok again and works until I do Registry Easy again.
I look at the various file to be deleted by Registry Easy but cannot find what I thought might be the file.
Have you all had this problem ?

Arthur H

Offline hidden

Re: Why is CSB5 programs deleted ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
This is my info site showing what I am talking about  http://www.arthurhewett.info/

Arthur

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
CSB uses many general dll files. And it stores all SITE information into the registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteSITE Builder 3.0\WPProviders\OtherHost
Your CLEANER may be wiping out either the old dlls, or the registry info, recent list, or other files.
Your CSB may be using a dll left over from another program and when you clean it out, it breaks CSB.

Please note that when you remove programs, you are given the choice to leave dlls for other programs or delete them. If you leave them, extra files build up on the machine, many are never accessed again. But if you remove them and another program NEEDS them, you break the other program!  Cleaners like to prune those files out.  If you installed CSB AFTER another program that already used that dll file, CSB would depend on that dll file. And when you remove that program, it breaks CSB.

Registry cleaners can be DANGEROUS.  Many ASSUME too much and can make many programs break by taking out key information, or removing "unused dlls" that programs need to function.  Many trim out files you have not accessed in 3, 6, or 9 months. And then when you need to get into that video function, a website file, etc suddenly it does not work because it has been a while since you accessed the program.  Many get overzealous!

Use a setting that will allow you to define acceptable, used programs that should not be adjusted in any way and stay away from a time-sensitive setting (program not accessed since....).  If you can not define programs to be left untouched, you should not use that cleaner!  

You are lucky that you have not disabled your computer in more vital areas with your CLEANER.  I have had to work on machines that had bad damage because of them...!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
Thanks Sami, I recently have started to read the security forums and you are correct. They say registry cleaners can create much harm.
Fortunately for me I think I used the system restore mainly untill my other problem of deleting a key file in the registry. No problem now as I followed Colin & MS advice.
I think I will not use the registry cleaner anymore.
I do use every other day ccleaner, diskclean, spybot, superantispywarepro, & defrag.
Over the last month they seem to be doing ok.

Thanks for your help & input.

Arthur H

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
Hi Arthur,

I fully support running Spybot and antivirus software frequently, but I doubt the value of doing disk clean and defrag every other day. Just occasionally should be fine. Any other opinions on this? I don't use a registry cleaner, for the same reasons Sami explained.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »
No problem now as I followed Colin & MS advice.
Explain please.  Don't understand.

ccleaner can be deadly if used to the fullest capability.  I have used it many times to clear out some log files, recyle bin, temp files, etc but do not use it for the registry and stronger functions.  I DO NOT recommend a registry cleaner because they can seriously cripple computers. Even when used by "techy" people.

Fragments are caused by a file being re-accessed, saved with changes many times.  Those changes are not saved with the original file.  They are on different parts of the computer hard drive.  Defragmenting puts those little pieces together with the original file. Defrag is not necessary more than once a week, even on a computer that accesses the same files over and over and over and over again!  If you are getting very low on space, defragmenting can help but does not resolve your situation.  Get a small USB backup drive and dump some of your older files onto it to make more room.  THEN do a defrag to straighten out the drive contents.

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
You made me worry...   :v8slap:

I've using RegVac for more than two years, since it was Freeware, without any problem (as far as I know...)
It runs automatically every day at the first start up, and every day deletes at least three entries which usually are always the same. The first time I ran it, it cleaned hundred of entries, now, occasionally sweeps more than ten. I chose the automatic option "Safe to Operate" in the "Novice Zone". It also has the "Expert Zone" where you can take control of it (dangerous zone:nofinger:

I'm not suggesting to use it, only asking if you advice me to stop using also this cleaner. If yes, how would be the safer method to keep the registry clean? or would be better to leave it alone and not touch it ?  :-\

Thanks 
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
Tony you may want to read what they posted in the forum.
I started a few days ago and find somethings quite interesting. Especially the Registry programs.
Now I am not an expert but maybe this info will help as well as get opinions.

Arthur H

Offline hidden

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
I would not tell you NOT to use a registry/file cleaner.
I am stressing CAUTION when using them. As I said they CAN be dangerous.

Tony, it sounds like you are using a low setting, with very low chance of damage.
And if you have used it for two years with good results, then keep on.
People get in trouble if they allow the program to do too much.
Or when they try to tweak settings to make it better...
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:44:31 AM »
Thanks you all   ;)
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER