Author Topic: Move from Trellix online to XWD  (Read 3495 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • I am new here.
Move from Trellix online to XWD
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
I am using Trellix through Earthlink right now.  I was paying $3.95 a month for email and that gave me 10GB of space for my web site.  It was just raised to $5.95 a month.  My site is used for my golf group.  I post updates to show winners and pairings and earnings.  It is very simple.

If I were to change to XWD, where would my web space be located and how much would it cost?  I don't know too much about creating a site and taught myself Trellix quite awhile ago.

Thanks for any help.

Linda
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:12:59 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Move from Trellix online to XWD
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
Earthlink supplies an ONLINE version of Trellix. This is quite limited and does keep you tied to their hosting service since the builder software is on their website.
It is quick and easy, but has great limitations that are irritating the longer you stay.
The biggest problem: can not move to anyone else without rebuilding site.

If you use a software installed on your own computer you have freedom to choose where and when you publish. 

Xara's Web Designer Premium is an excellent choice.  AND it does come with a free hosting account if you want to use it.   Take a look at the features of the program here:  http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/features/
The good thing is that you can use the freebie space and later move to a paid space if you want. Your choice, and still get to use YOUR software and equipment.

I use TotalChoiceHosting.com for Samisite.com  The current rate is $44/year (averages to $3.66/mo) with unlimited emails, lots of storage, and extras, decent up-time, forum and support.  Still satisified after 8 years... 
I would NOT recommend GoDaddy.com as it appears cheap, but the control panel is a nightmare AND everything is an add-on, extra cost. And Spam "On Sale/Special, etc" up the wazoo!  I work with a ton of hosts. And you just have to find one that fits YOU, your needs and website.

And I still pay Earthlink so I can use my old mindspring email address (earthlink bought them out years ago). Very cheap and since I have used it since 1999, the address is tied to a ton of things!!!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
  • I am new here.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I will check it out.

And, btw, what a speedy response!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
sometimes one of us is online at or near same time. 
Sometimes it may take a few hours before someone connects in to the forum.
We are here to see the GAMES section at least once a day normally.
Check it out!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )