Author Topic: MP3's  (Read 6374 times)

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
MP3's
« on: February 26, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »
Hi Sam: And All:  I want to insert an mp3 into my web site. Using CSB 5 but it says it is a large file and not readable by all browsers. What is the best way to be adding music files with quality into sites? thanks JR

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: MP3's
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »
If you want MP3's with quality, I srongly recommend using Flash. The best one I have come across is MP3 Soundstream http://www.mp3soundstream.com/
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:46:29 PM »
Is this a flash program just for music or would coffee cup flash work. I a have that one but will buy another program if it is not the same. Thanks for the help. JR

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:23:20 AM »
MP3 Soundstream is designed specifically for audio (music and other audio). It contains a wide range of different controllers, in a variety of colours. It works superbly!

You could also do it with Coffee Cup, but the result would not be so professional.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
HI/ That is a good price too -- I noticed HI FI is the same except that you can adjust the quality - do you think that is really a neccessary feature? Or maybe I should also ask, in what cases would that be a good feature to have and worth the extra money?

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
I guess the only reason to adjust (reduce) the quality would be to reduce the download time for dial-up users. However since MP3 Soundstream streams the audio in high-quality, there is minimal download delay, so I can't really see a reason to pay more for adjustable quality.
Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:08 PM »
Thanks  :D- So then you don't think there would be any adjusting the quality UP is that right? just down -- In that case I agree I don't see the benefits. 

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:56:24 PM »
I guess it depends on the application. There are limitations with audio and video on the web, just like images. The basic idea is to try to get away with the minimum acceptable quality, thereby minimising file sizes and download times.

In my opinion MP3 Soundstream provides an excellent compromise between quality and download issues. I can't see a reason to increase quality (and therefore file size), unless there is a quite specific application needing this.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 04:02:27 AM »
OK- thanks again!!! One more question  - if you were selling music on line do you think the download quality of this is sufficient? Oh no wait - can a person on line even save to file from this stream???? Here is my situation: I have music of my own or in partnership with others or that I am otherwise licensed to sell - that is down the road to be added to the web site in progress, but just a bit, and I am at this point just still wondering how I will do it... Admittedly I haven't done my homework yet really - but I thought a sample in a stream would be a nice way to preview portions of a song at least and then the selling part is still at question. So I am thinking this would be good enough for the sampling --- do you know if it can be set up so a person could allow someone to download from the stream?

:kickdancing:

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05:43 AM »
Streaming audio, especially flash, is not suitable to use for downloading if people are purchasing music.

I would suggest to use streaming audio in flash format (such as MP3 Soundstream) to provide short samples of the music on your website. This will provide good quality, even at dial-up speeds, while being reasonable protection against theft of the music (although there is not much incentive to steal a short sample).

Then, when the music has been purchased, you will need to provide a secure link to an MP3 file of the music to download. The link needs to be password protected and available for a limited time.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »
Selling something that will be downloaded after purchase? 
Consider this program.  "Linklok URL allows you to place links to download files on your website while securely hiding the true location of the files."  $29.95  This program is highly recommended by CSB user, Vicki Harrelson, the webmaster of Needle Me That (crochet patterns). Read her comments  here about this program.

LINKLOK by Vibralogix:  h**p://www.vibralogix.com/linklokurl/index.php

So after you have created the SAMPLE sound, you can then sell the full sound file.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
Hey thanks Sam, this could be the answer for me- I notice in her review she uses pay pal and apparently by her closing statements there are versions that work with other carts. I use CCNow at the moment but they don't allow selling anything but hard goods - ie no downloads. So that part of the issue is still at hand - I think I should start another thread to talk about these aspects of it instead of keeping it here under mp3.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
I started a new thread about download sales and online selling in general here http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=129.new#new