Author Topic: Google Sitemap Generator  (Read 5814 times)

Offline hidden

• leather patterns specifically for the leather craftsman
Google Sitemap Generator
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
Hi All:

Does anyone know how to make and install a google site map?  Is there a tutorial anyone knows of that is for the terminally stupid.  I have read a few topics about it and I have learned a thing.  All I know is... I need one!

Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><
God has a bigger purpose for your life than your biggest problem
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Google Sitemap Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »
Hi Ken, I know that first you have to have a Google Web Master account first as found here

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&continue=https://www.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fsiteoverview%3Fhl%3Den&nui=1&hl=en

And when I googled "google sitemap generator" a slew of them came up that were free so you might want to try that. When I finish my site remake I am going to set up a web master account there too and probably do the same -- but after I figure how to hide certain pages or at least look further into that aspect of it as I have some password protected areas that were developed for sharing information with attorneys and related to other private business and I wouldn't want those showing up at all.

Please let us know what you pick to do and how it works for you. It will be a bit longer for me before I do this.

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »
Do yourself a favor....DO NOT build with frames.  Messes up the site maps!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:21:43 PM »
Would that include iframes?

Offline hidden

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
Sami:

This may sound stupid, and totally reveal how inept I am, but I've alway been somewhat confussed as to what is a frame.  For some reasion I associate tables as frames.  I think it is beacuse I see the table framing an image, or whatever and have taken that as a frame.

Can you give a short discription of both a table and a frame?

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:50:17 PM »
Would that include iframes?
Well go back to the other thread, specifically this post for the options on that. Basically unless you tell the search engine to ignor the content pages, they will be listed separately.

but I've alway been somewhat confussed as to what is a frame.  For some reason I associate tables as frames.

TABLE:   Is a structure set into a webpage to hold content. It is not a separate part of a page and is not changable with links. Tables are best used for data, numbers, etc.  With CSB, they are a convenient way to hold text and images in place on a web page for consistent look.

BORDER: There are 4 borders (top, bottom, left, right) that can be used on a website.  If you are publishing WITHOUT frames, those borders scroll WITH the page as a solid one-piece unit, but allow a visual distinction from the page body. See this page about borders in CSB.

FRAME: A frame is a FIXED part of the web page, often one or more borders that stays in place while the rest of the page body changes as links are clicked.  Many framed pages fix the TOP border or TOP and LEFT borders.  When you choose to publish WITH frames, those borders become FRAMES, actual separate parts of the web page that stay static on the page and don't scroll with the page body.

Please see this page about framed sites (I have 2 iframes, windows cut into the page body, demonstrating a FRAMED page and NON-FRAMED page so you can SEE and FEEL the difference). 

The only reason I mention them here is that search engines tend to grab all the parts of the page, (the page body, top frame, left frame) when they try to make site maps.  So if you plan on making automatic site maps be aware of the result you may get.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:36:07 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 10:03:03 PM »
BTW Because it is a bit confusing in the way Google explains it - if you want to use the webmaster tools to work with your site, one of the choices to verify you are the web master with them is to add a tag in your index header. It goes in the second frame in Cute found at
Edit
Properties
Page
Html
in the Before <HEAD> field

Sam by your answer then I take it an iframe would act the same way as a frame basically good thing to know when trying the freebie generators - they let you check what it would look like i guess you could see if it messed it up.

Offline hidden

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »
Somehow deep inside, I already knew the difference.  But like I sais I get confused.  I personaly don't like frames... iframes yes, regular frames no.  I'd sooner just as well ignor them.  That way they don't cause me a problem.
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:38:20 PM »
WHOOPS...  :v8slap: When I posted earlier I forgot the link to the page about frames.  It REALLY helps to explain them better (pictures say a thousand words)....I HIGHLY recommend you visit the page!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »
Thanx for the lession.  Got it, uderstand it, and now I can teach it... minimally, but I get it.  Again, thanx

Kem aka Bighousedaddy <><
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 01:10:57 AM »
Can you tell I'm tired.... I spelled my name wrong in that last replay... I'm goin' ta head for the barn.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »
Sami:

I have another question about frames.  If the box is unchecked "scroll image with text" in the page body properties window, is the result of allowing the body to scroll while the background image stays stationary, making a frame?

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »
No.  That choice is SUPPOSED to either:
1. CHECKED: scroll the background image with the text.
2. UNCHECKED: Fix the background image where it is and allow text to scroll over it.  This gives a different feeling to your web page.  Looks like text is on a transparent piece of glass, sliding OVER the background image that never changes.

BUT....That check box only fixes the background image in Internet Explorer!

To make it work in Firefox, you need to do two things:

1. You will use the COLOR and the IMAGE NAME already being used by CSB for your webpage.  Publish your page, go to VIEW SOURCE from the top menu on your Internet Explorer Menu.  Look for the section that says 
<BODY BGCOLOR="#000000" TEXT="#F7F7FF" bgproperties="fixed" background="2f500bb3.jpg" LINK="#CC99CC" ALINK="#E6769A" VLINK="#FFCCCC">
Grab the bgcolor and the background image name.

2. Add a piece of code to the top of your webpage (in an INSERT HTML box) or to your page layout:

Code: [Select]
<style type="text/css">
body
{
background: #000000 url('2f500bb3.jpg') repeat-y fixed top left;
}
</style>

This code will cause a plain color to appear first, then your background image in a FIXED position.  It is set to repeat only vertically (repeat-y). If you want your image to repeat going horizontally too, then just make the code say repeat.

Please visit this page in both Internet Explorer and in Foxfire.
- Internet Explorer shows that this page has a FIXED background, the background ivy along the left side and rose stone stays EXACTLY where it is while the TEXT moves over the background on a sheer pane
- FoxFire does not show a fixed background because the extra coding I mention above is NOT included on the page.  Firefox treats it as a normlly scrolling background. In this case, the ivy and stone moves WITH the text.

All web pages have a background, even if just plain white, it is still a background. So having the choice HOW your background looks is not a frame issue, only a design decision for that individual page.
===========================================

Frames are literally separate HMTL pages that come together to structure a single page.

For example, this page about a neat Thumbnail viewer script from Dynamic Drive is on a framed page.  It is one page when you visit it but it is constructed by sticking 2 individual pages together into one.
The page you visit is id141.htm, which has code in it to load two separate pages into the window. A FRAME, fixed borders, are assigned at the top of the source code, describing how many pieces and what the names are of each piece.

In this example, there are only 2 pieces: 
<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0 ROWS=" 50,*">
        <FRAME NAME="TRLX_Top" SRC="id141_t.htm"  FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 SCROLLING="NO">
        <FRAME NAME="TRLX_Middle" SRC="id141_m.htm"  FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0>

top border:
TRLX_Top actually takes up the first 50 rows of the page, stays fixed on the page and the CONTENTS of that is found in a page called id141_t.htm.

page body:
TRLX_Middle is the rest of the page, beginning on line 51.  The CONTENTS for that page body is found in a page called id141_m.htm

CSB is smart.  You can not visit the PIECES of that page, even though a full webpage is generated for each frame (TOP and MIDDLE).  There is a tiny piece of code in the page body file id141_m.htm that FORCES you to reload the whole combined page (a redirect script).

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
var n4p = (self.innerHeight != null && self.innerHeight == 0);
if ((parent.TlxPgNm==null || parent.TlxPgNm!='id141') && !n4p){
    location.replace('id141.htm');
}
</SCRIPT>
-Samantha