Author Topic: Converting PDF files in a batch - is it possible? Or how would you do this..  (Read 8332 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Obviously I haven't googled it yet, lol - but I thought if someone might have a good software to recommend it would be a place to start.

But what I really am wondering is if you had more than 400 pages of paper documents that you needed to get onto a web site - using the smallest space and bandwidth possible - so jpegs might not be the answer - how would you recommend someone who is not all that computer savvy do it? I was thinking they needed to be scanned in and converted to PDF but that could take the person in charge of it a very long time unless they could be all scanned in and then collected in folders and batch converted. Some of these things are legal documents that need to be in numerical page order and so forth. Not having much experience with something like this and being the one who will be taking what ever they give me and putting it on a site - I am not sure what to recommend that they do.

Also since these docs will be found in a forum area or linked from there at least - if people want to attach something similar from time to time I was going to recommend a freebie pdf converter that I use but for this job OH MY! Glad that part isn't my job - or better put- I hope I can figure out how to make it easy enough for them that some how it doesn't become my job.

Any ideas???
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
If the documents are of good quality or good type face
An OCR program can do a very good job of scanning and creating a text file.
I have one called TextBridge and scanned memos with very good results.
If there are images or fancy fonts the results may need some correction in the OSC program before conversion.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Thank you very much for the suggestion.  :) I will look into that and inquire about the imges/fonts. I have a feeling though that some of the stationary may have either or both. I don't think I have worked with this type of program before.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
Acrobat Writer can take input from a scanner a page at a time and make a multi page pdf document.  I assume it will work with a sheet feeder to automate the process.  It looks like it would do it but I can't try since my sheet feeder doesn't work.

Jim

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
You may already have an OCR program (Optical Character Recognition )
If you have a scanner it may have included one.
My HP all in one Printer Scanner Copier has a control panel called HP Director
on it there is a button to scan Documents.
It prompts me to select if the document has text and or images and what to do with it.
Open a program or save to file.
For saving to a file after scanning, I am prompted to save as a PDF, HTM, RTF or text file.
I was impressed by how easy it work and the quality.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
HI again turtle & Jim, Looking at the association's letterhead I see pictures across the top. So I know that will be involved. I don't think the scanner I use now has that because I am using a very basic dell all in one printer copier scanner and I haven't seen anything about it in the settings but I will look again next time I crank it up - I've been strictly using my HP commercial printer lately. However it is about what they have available to them not what I have, since I hope to stay out of this part of it except to make helpful suggestions as to how they do it to make it quicker/easier for them. They asked and admitted they were rather low tech. So they may have what they need and not know it. I really have no idea of the number of pages over several hundred and it could even be in the thousands.

So this is ALL good to know and I will ask them if their scanner includes it. Wow that HP does sound handy turtle.

So then am I getting this right - ( responding in my typical denseness )- If they have an OCP program built in to their scanner they are probably OK for getting it saved as a pdf. But that does not necessarily save it as a multi page document unless that is a feature of their OCP.

And Adobe Acrobat Writer can save multiple page documents for sure even though they are scanned in one page at a time. - Does this mean AAW is an OCP?

Thanks for your replies, time and patience with me!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
OCR = Optical Character Recognition software.
The software can read printed text and take an IMAGE of the text and translate it into editable text then place it into a word processing program (word, etc).  SOME OCR software will send the information to PDF, some will not!  Usually PDF software is SEPARATE from OCR software.

ALL OF THE SCANNERS I have used (at office and home) came with the ability to scan directly to PDF format!  And for PDF, you do not need OCR software!
PDF are often IMAGES of the document so no TEXT reading is necessary to create the document.

If you need people to be able to download, read, print AND EDIT the contents, then you DO need OCR software.  If you just want people to download, read and print then you do NOT need OCR software.

Hope that helps to clear it up.

--------------------
Over many years, I personally have had three scanners and they came with OCR and PDF generation software of different caliber.

My oldest scanner (did not work with XP) was the best hands-down, with the best software, including a professional version of Textbridge that allowed correction before scanning.  Used to scan Insurance docs and WHAT a time saver.  Didn't have to type all that legaleze text. Just scan to Word or WordPerfect (was making training manuals) and continue on.  LOVELY.  That model did not have a feeder. You had to place the docs one at a time on the glass. But even so, I could make multi-page PDF docs with it! You would just define the END of the document after scanning 2, 3, 4 pages and then start a new document.

My newest scanner has the feeder but the OCR software is weaker and does not allow for edit prior to scan. And lost the Textbridge when swapped machines.  Could not get it loaded so it could be updated. Bummer.

All of them came with the ability to create a direct to PDF document from the scan without using OCR abilities.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Thanks I get it now! They just need to make the pages available to be read by other members of a forum so there won't be any editing that needs to be done - Thats why I was thinking PDF - but considering how mine works, IE: - I open a page and hit print and choose the pdf program then save as - I guess now I don't see how that would be possible to batch convert say a whole file of pages. I was originally wondering if his circumstances were that he could only scan in as a jpeg or other image file and he had the various entire saved docs in separate folders if he might be able to just covert the whole folder of them at once to PDF.

But as he scans them in if he has a pdf converter built into the scanner - it may be possible for him to select that option and where the doc starts and ends.

So one more step - What ever he does to get a PDF document that includes all of the pages in it and if a doc has say 50 pages in it - in an SMF forum - since that is what I will be setting up - he can do an attachment to a post in each heading and it will include the entire document. (Right?) I would just need to be sure that the attachment settings are large enough to allow it. ( Right?)

And if he doesn't have this PDF option on his scanner - then he needs a program, possibly the Adobe Writer Jim mentioned, to convert them into such documents. (Right?)

I remembered that I have worked with OCM programs before but that was a few years ago and the technology wasn't all that great or at least the program I was using wasn't and the glitches in it discouraged me from using it continually. I don't really have a need for it right now - but will keep this in mind if one comes up in the future.

Hey thanks everyone - I am trying to get this set up so that he can scan them in while I am on vacation and I am leaving next week - so the time crunch is on. This has really been helpful to me to "get er done!"   :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Are you going to allow EVERYONE to attach files to posts?
Or block them as we do on this forum?

I chose to block attachments and photos for a three reasons:
1) save my allotted storage space for the FORUM database
2) make the forum load faster without a lot of images
3) limit problems with bad files (corrupted or evil) being loaded onto my webspace. Though you can define the TYPE of files that are allowed (only images like jpg, gif, etc and pdf) to limit this situation, these days more and more nasty folks are calling a file jpg when in fact it has virus code in it.  So I just do not allow that on this forum to protect myself, the site and the visitors/members.

On this forum, as with most, you can LINK to an existing file and have it open in the browser or download.  SO, if he or YOU were to send all the pdf files to one location on the server you could just link to the files.  Store them in download folder. Then your link would be h**p//www.yoursite.com/download/filename.pdf

If he does not have a pdf program, have him check out the one mentioned in the FAVORITE TOOLS thread, PRIMO PDF.  No nag screens, no scumware or adware an d may work for him.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Yes primo is what I use and I had thought of just downloading the files with a link but I would sure rather they be able to do their own posting and attaching - I am volunteering to do the site and I figure they can do that part if they are able. This site is for my homeowners association - small only 26 lots. - But with an on going lawsuit, there are many legal things that need to go into the forum area under board business along with the fun happy stuff. It will be a big forum but with limited members. I am planning two or three front pages that are open to the public but the forum itself will only be seen by the homeowners so I am not too worried about the files - although they would be limited to jpgs gifs and pdfs. -- maybe some word files. Still, I would want the most secure environment in the event a crabby neighbor decides to hack it. However, I rather doubt that would happen. I think at the most a few people might want to attach some pics or something like that. Only the board will be able to download anything other than a few types of files.

Oh, that brings me to a question - some of the docs are large being legal docs - once those are downloaded - I wonder if I can then set the file sizes to make the size of attachments smaller and it not upset the larger ones that are already attached by board members? The board will download its "stuff" before the site is open to homeowners.

Well this has helped a lot and I sent out a letter of what to do based on what was discussed here.

Thanks all!!![/b] Any more ideas will be appreciated as well...  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
You can set up full or limited FTP access for different people if necessary. (ex: secretary/president of the association).  Then they could FTP to upload/remove files anytime they need to.  That would limit who can put things on the server.

Remember that upload/download takes from bandwidth. Are you hosting somewhere with enough bandwidth to handle it? And the space necessary for your docs?

Or are you planning to have a BOARD ONLY section like our HIDDEN board with limited access? Board will post there, and other members will be able to post photos, etc in other areas of the forum... Suggest you limit to only pdf and jpg.

I would not set a file size then try to reduce it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:21:12 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Oh no whree did my post go? I just replied in length ... ? If you moved or deleted it for some reason that is one thing but it seems to have just dissapeared. I hit post and saw it then came back to close the window and it was gone - also refreshing doesn't bring it up. ???

Did it go somewhere eles by mistake?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
no move...no delete.... ???
maybe server was resetting or something as you were posting?

I have had it happen on the GlobalSCAPE forum and it is frustrating.
Got into the habit of COPY to clipboard the contents of the post before hitting the submit/send button. That way if I need to post it again, all contents still exist.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
yep - and I know that too lol and it always happens that ONE time I did'nt do that first!  :P

Ok I'll do it again soon.. (sigh)

lol

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
I am going to try and just have them attach their PDF documents to each post topic that might be something like .. Board Meeting Minutes June 12 07 or Treasury Report date etc.. Under some areas there would be many topic posts identifying the attachment esp. in the legal section. Everything except for maybe a moderator area will be open to all homeowners only to post or read.

My concern for letting people up/down load is that not one of them has any experience with such things or dealing with web sites in general outside of surfing the net - emailing and one of them had posted on a board before.

So the more I can keep everyone doing a simple thing the better esp. with my busy travel time coming up and my planning to be away for several months.

I think there will be enough bandwidth etc and if not that can be increased, as I would just go through go daddy because they are a sort of a low cost few frills host and that is all we need. The forum will be double password protected and not readable by guests. There will only be a couple or three front pages open to the public with a little minimal information about the community - or so is the plan now.

If the entire thing is used by more than twenty individuals on any sort of a regular basis I will be surprised. It is primarily needed by the board for making the important things easily available and the rest is experimental fluff. lol

I agree about the pdfs and jpegs. 

I will not start this until I return at the end of the month so I have a while longer for planning but it is good to get them going on their end to convert docs and such now.

Thanks again for the input :-)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
I made and administer a homeowner association website for a local community. 
Each member must have the assigned username/password to access the member area where they can download pdf docs that I post.  The pres sends me docs that I convert to pdf and post.

They preferred to have no forum. There was fear that when there are neighbor disputes, we could have problems on the board.

I wanted to assign ftp upload to the pres and sec so they could post their own files but nope.  They prefer I do it for them :)

What we did:  Public pages (map, FAQ, etc) for everyone. Members pages are inside the members folder. We set up a downloads folder inside a password protected folder for members only. This makes the downloads not available to outside folks. You must put in a user name/password to access member pages and subsequent files/folders, even if the direct url address of the page/file is put into the address bar! You might want to check if your docs will be similarly protected from outside viewing.     website.com/members/download/file12_2006.pdf

Of course there is NOTHING that will stop the pdf file from being emailed to someone after it has been downloaded.  :noshake:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
If I download the smf board into a password protected folder - one where all members will use the same password to get in - then there they will find the forum where their private password will be needed to read anything except the welcome/rules/how-to register area on the board. That should work to keep the attached documents out of the public eye. They will be required to register using their real name so as to prevent someone from breaking in. We haven't decided how to handle those who may want their legal representatives access such as an attorney, property manager or real estate agent. I believe we must allow that but give each one a guest status so that they can not make posts except for attorneys in the board legal area.

There will be four or five moderators to delete abusive posts if any. I thought about doing it your way in terms of downloading and linking but I think for this group and my circumstances of not really having time to be a real active administrator once it is up that if we can make it fly like this it is to everyones advantage. The homes are on a private island and in the price range that only highly professional people are involved so maybe that would prevent some of the typical potential problems. If people abuse the post areas then they will be banned. I am also considering but have not yet discussed putting the board forum linkable from a topic in the community forum in its own and within a third password protected area - but it may be overkill. Being we have the legal issue going on that area may take in some "testy" posts once established. I will let the rest of the board members help make that decision.

Offline hidden

• Tolkien Queen
  • Expert Member
I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you're trying to do --

The doctor I work for sometimes acts as an expert consultant on legal cases. This past year, he was working on a case that had a huge number of documents involved. The law office uploaded the documents (mostly as .pdf's - I can't recall if there were any other types of files) directly to the server. No forum, no site, just the documents. Each individual who needed access to the documents was given access to the directory on the server by a unique password. Those people were also able to upload documents. This is a big, nationally-based law firm that seems to have its act together regarding security, so I tend to trust the way they did this. They'd still have to trust the people they gave passwords to, but they could (and, IIRC, actually did) have documents in more than one directory so that they could give each person access to only the set of documents needed for their role in the case.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:50:45 AM by tgshaw »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Exactly what was done with our site Trudy. Separate passwords for individuals. That's what we did.  And if there are files that should only go to these three people, only those passwords allow access to those folders. (I offered the limited ftp capability to a couple people with specific need  but they prefer to have me upload)

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Hi ya Trudy and Sam. Thanks for all of the input! If I were being paid to do this as a job or if I actually had time to be an active administrator I think the uploading to folders could be suitable. In our case There is no one that will be limited to what they see however except if we set up a kids or teen board they may restricted from seeing the Association business area. But other than that, nothing that goes on the board would be intended to be restricted from the view of all home owners. The purpose is to share with all rather than restrict to some.

Another factor: I am getting ready to be traveling for up to six months in a row with several really intense projects in tow already -and the terms that I took on this freebie project included my making it self sufficient so that is what has been agreed. I just need to do what ever it takes up front to get those who are here all of the time and moderators as well as the ones who hold the docs in question up to speed on the site. I will however ask them one more time if they want to upload into folders rather than do it this way since the consensus in here seems to be this is better. But if they mess something up due to the nature of portions of my travel, I may be out of touch for a few days or even a couple of weeks before they can reach me to get it fixed - so that is a risk that they need to know they are taking. None of them have any experience with any of this so who knows what they might accidentally do. I will have only two weeks to build the site and bring them up to speed and then they are sort of on their own with it so maybe these factors make a difference. What do you think? Should they matter?

I do some of my own legal documents that I share with various involved parties and my attorney the way you have described Trudy and I would recommend it to others for similar purposes. It works great when there are various people that you want to see doc a   b  or  c . But I am continually setting up new passwords and downloading things and in this case I need to be able to walk away from the site without further involvement except using it the same as any other home owner would. I am departing on leg one of travel in a few days but I will be back at the end of the month and will go over it with the board then. Really what ever they feel comfortable with is all about the same to me. I am trying to look out for them for when I am not around and what ever works best for them works best for me. :-)

So your input is very helpful in my thinking of it and I will be sure to discuss these options when I return and before the site is set up. Thanks again.  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
My concern:  If you are doing all this with a FORUM, someone will need to know how to update that forum while you are gone!  If you set something up and walk away, they MUST have the ability to update the forum when there are security updates or you risk spamming, damage to the website, open access to limited documents, etc.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Yes I will make sure someone or the board in general has full administration rights. Generally I will be available over the next six months except for one two week stint and I am sure they will learn the how tos as it goes along. It is certainly my intentions to find a way to instruct them in how to do those things even if I a m not down the street. The forum will also sit inside of a strong password protected folder as well as require a usual log in. I intend to also include the don't look at this site robot coding and do anything else I can think of to make it as secure as possible where ever and how ever I can.

:) - And as always keep my fingers crossed.