Author Topic: Allowing viewers to copy code if disallow hyperlinking is set on host  (Read 2938 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Hi all, I want to create images and animated gifs such as might be seen here doobix.com/graphics/myspace/poems/

When you click on one it opens up and there is a code to copy. I currently have my site set to no hot linking and am wondering if there is an href for the image on my site if the reference will be blocked because of it. Photo bucket and similar sites could pose a possible solution unless it is popular and the download limit is exceeded. If I have to pay them for more downloads then I might as well get a new web site is what I am thinking on that one.

Also - I am wondering how are those little spaces where the code fits are made? (& What is that area called for future reference?  :-[ ) Thanks for any input.

gee - its sad to come in and think of Turtle - I hope (((((everyone))))) is managing the loss as well as possible.  :(
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Allowing viewers to copy code if disallow hyperlinking is set on host
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
1) You can set hot linking for certain URL addresses if you so choose.  Ex: I have hotlinking disabled on my website but allow certain places to hotlink.  I have listed certain urls as allowed so they can access certain images. So people could sign up to link to your site, you ALLOW them.  All others trying to pull in the image would be blocked.  Yup...I do it in cPanel.  ;)  If you do not place them in an allowed list then YES, they would be blocked.  Please note that if you allow hotlinking on your site that YOUR BANDWIDTH will be used to load images on the other site. Your site resources will be used to make their site better. Most sites that do that eventually have one of two things happen: either they collapse from too much drain or they go paid subscription to support the image drain. One of my favorite free gif sites failed because of drag.

2) Code. Well, each image has a code box on its own separate page. I use a pared down code box all over SAMISITE.  You can see it in use on this page.  If you want the code, I used the Select and Copy form element script- By Dynamicdrive.com, with my usual CSB adjustments and instructions.  (the samples on that page work fine in IE but firefox will no longer do the rollover sound.  :( )

As to Turtle, I am glad he has no more medical worries..what next is no longer an issue for him. He is at peace. I am saddened for his family at the loss of someone so very special. I am saddened by the thought that others will not have the chance to know how special he was. And I feel his loss intently on a personal basis.  He was such a kind gentleman that got such joy from helping people even as his own health deteriorated. I loved our interaction and considered him my Guru. Since arriving at the Trellix Cafe, he has had my back. Coaching, encouraging, correcting and pointing me to new better things, new ideas and all the while being positive that I could do it!  I always felt like I was learning to walk the high wire and he was my mentor and safety net. Now I feel unbalanced.  Up too high with no one to catch me if I fall.  I miss the security of knowing he would check in on me. I will miss his posts. I will miss our off-forum communication.  Maybe he made it to the rainbow bridge to meet his special pet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:01:29 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
Thanks Sam - I will check out the Cpanel for how to add a URL. But I am not sure that is really what I want IE to only allow certain sites after they register or otherwise sign up and I take that step to allow it.  Would I have to set each and every URL as OK or could I allow for example all myspace URLs etc.? I was thinking of having some that anyone could come by and grab without me getting further involved. If I follow what some places do and add the site information on the image - that can not be removed even if the more techy web owners take out the return link.

I only want to offer a few things not become a free code site. A big use of such items is due to that I continually find my things on other web sites and I am looking for a way to have them use something I have created that links back to me rather than have them all doing their own thing without links, copyrights and in some cases with even incorrect wording.  :rules: I am trying to get a grip and would rather tackle it as strongly as possible at this time, make it easy for up keep and to keep up with.

Well, maybe the sign up wouldn't be too bad for starters I will have to think that one out.

I am sure I will be back to this subject as I explore it. There is a lot to think about. THANKS for the help.

PS We can't takeTurtle's place in your heart and his position as your Guru - but you can still count on some of us here to back you up Sammy, if you start feeling a little off balanced.  :hearts:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:28:16 PM by SafariWoman »
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
 :hearts: :thankyousign:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )