Author Topic: Netscape Composor  (Read 7980 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Netscape Composor
« on: February 11, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
Being Netscape has sold to AOL and all support ends in March I decided to download it so that I can easily work on an older and simple web site originally built in composer. Its a gem for that because it will open pages from on line and allow you to work and make changes based on the upload rather than having to store the page files. That is good because I do not have the page files. It was really hard to hunt down where to get it and I thought I would pass this on here. It is only available in the 7.X versions of Netscape. (They are up to 9 now and that is what is found at the AOL Netscape download site.) Here is an address for finding old versions if any body wants to have Composer. I actually have in the past used it fairly frequently for simple sites and especially for quick simple updates. It does a bang up job for free. :-)

browser.netscape.com/downloads/archive/
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Re: Netscape Composor
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
OOpps didn't get back in time to add this address for a super thorough explanation of how to use composer. It is where I found the download page from.

csulb.edu/~jvancamp/composer.html

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
Confused....  ???
Why are you taking 7.xx version INSTEAD of the 9.xx version????
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
As mentioned in first post.. Composer is only available in versions 7x It is not in 9. I use 9 still to check web sites.. I downloaded 7 just to have the Composer web building tools.  :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »
Ah...did not understand...NETSCAPE and COMPOSER bundled.... AH :v8slap:
I thought the link you provided was for COMPOSER ONLY...!   
Used Netscape back in 1999 and not since so was not familar with either.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
Me neither Sammy, I have been checking sites with Netscape for some time now but haven't really used Composer for about three years. It was one of those things I didn't replace when I got the new computer. I only accidentally discovered the AOL purchase and big changes ahead. I just thought I better get it before it is too late because I really do need to upate an old site and thought others might be interested. If you haven't tried it you might be surprised at what it can do and how extremely easy it is to use.  :yes:

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
I've just received a notice that Netscape support is being phased out and that they recommend Flock:

h**p://www.flock.com

Anyone seen it, know it, heard about it, know if its good, or anything?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:10:15 PM »
Nope I would guess its something from AOL since they bought netscape. Since I boycott AOL in general I probably wouldn't try it if it is from them lol.. Netscape is so easy.. I mean in all the years I've used it I never needed customer support once.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:49:36 AM »
Yes Netscape is easy and I specially liked the ability to test sites in IE and FF mode (click bottom left corner). I have also never had to ask for support. Although my primary browser is IE7, I used Netscape to test sites. I received the message when I opened it a few days ago. If you open yours, you should also receive the message to upgrade to Flock. I am usually reluctant to try something too new because it may just bomb something that currently works.

On another thought, I wonder if you or Samantha use Safari (for MS Windows) which seems is becoming more and more popular.

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
I haven't tried it yet because my web stats show that on my site less than 3% of visitors are on it when they come by. At that rate I haven't felt it neccessary to give it a look but my friend used it on a work computer and said it is basically firefox.. I don't know if it is the same people or what.. but he said it operates pretty much the same and translates pages the same the best he could tell. If you give it a spin let us know what you think :)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Will do.

I don't know my web stats on Safari but will check them out too.