Author Topic: Up/down-loading MP3 files  (Read 5386 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Up/down-loading MP3 files
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »
I am the webmaster of a church website.  I would like to publish links for people to listen to the pastor's sermon in mp3 format.  I use CSB5. Is there a way to do this with this application?  If so, is the file upload amazing long?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Up/down-loading MP3 files
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »
Many website builders (Trellix and CSB included) have built-in capability to upload your music file to your website. 
  • In CSB, INSERT menu has many options but two are specific to this issue:  Insert > Advanced HTML > Audio file   Or Insert > Advanced HTML > File Download.  In both cases you tell CSB what file to use and it will take that file and upload it to the web for you and insert a link.

BUT...even though CSB and other web building software CAN upload audio, movie, flash and many other specialty files, many of the power users of the program highly recommend that you do not do that.  Lots of reasons, a couple of them:  including them in your web building file makes your file bigger, more bloated and adds potential for corruption; updating the files is more difficult.  Music files (mp3, wav, midi, etc) just add weight and slow down the design file. It is more practical to upload them in a different way rather than depend on the web building software.  Also using a different method makes it very easy to update that file if you need to.  Code stays same in the web page, just replace the file with another one of the same name!

So my recommendation is the same for you that I would give if you were using some other web building software:

USE FTP TO UPLOAD A FILE:    When you use a 3rd party FTP program to upload your special files (swf, music, pdf, image for slideshows, etc) you can place them into folders on your website that mean something logical if you like. You can place all your pdf files in a pdf folder, or separate them by topic, etc.

Or sign into your host and look around for the features they offer you.   Each host is different but most web hosts have a file manager or some control panel that allows you to upload a file to your website. Usually it is only one or two files at a time. Not practical for publishing several pages, but it's just fine for uploading movies, flash, sound, etc. 

Then simply link to them either from a web page with a simple link (use URL style link) or from a script, just use a full URL address. 

FTP software is VERY EASY to use. Take a look at this info.   If you can use Windows Explorer to look at your My Documents folder (to see the files and folders) then you can use an FTP software.  COREFTP has a lovely free FTP software and I use CuteFTP by GlobalSCAPE. There are tons of others. The very basic functions of all of them allow you to see YOUR computer on one side of the screen, and the website computer on the other. Can be very intimidating, but really is not difficult at all to use the basic functions!

As to file size.  YUP.  They can be big, can take a long time to upload/download. They are resource hogs, taking a ton of your transfer bandwidth.
Depending on what you want to do with the mp3s, you may want to consider using a compressed FLASH.
Take a look at this streaming sound files software that does a very nice job for many CSB users. Many controls, options, very professional quality.  You would insert the files into your web page like any flash file.  See instructions here.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
Re: Up/down-loading MP3 files
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »
There are many FTP upload softwares you can use.Try FILEZILLA just search on Google and you will get a download link