Author Topic: tighten registration  (Read 4805 times)

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
tighten registration
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »
Hi Sami, is there a way to tighten up the membership application process? For example, is it possible to set a requirement for the administrator to authorise new applications before processing? Given the small numbers of new members at the moment, this should not be an onerous process.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:10:51 PM by Samrc »
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: tighten registration
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Yes.
It might help but won't stop the spammers though.  :(
Nasty wave of them in the last few days.

These are possible registration levels:
   * Registration Disabled:
      Disables the registration process, which means that no new members can register to join your forum.
    * Immediate Registration
      New members can login and post immediately after registering on your forum.
    * Member Activation
      When this option is enabled any members registering to the forum will have a activation link emailed to them which they must click before they can become full members
    * Member Approval
      This option will make it so all new members registering to your forum will need to be approved by the admin before they become members.

For convenience, we have been on Member activation (requires an activation link in an email) with 2 step process:
1 form with captcha to limit computer application, 2 click link in activation email.  
I have 26 people waiting on activation right now. Email was sent out but the link was not clicked.  These are likely spammers that do not do that second step.

I have now moved it to MUST BE APPROVED the highest level.  Will slow down legit signups and aggravate spammers.

I APOLOGIZE TO ANY PERSON WITH LEGITIMATE INTENTIONS FOR APPROVAL DELAY!  It is a necessary evil because of nasty spammers!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:24:56 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: tighten registration
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
I kept the forum on APPROVAL only for 6 months.
A few hundred spammers were foiled.

But some legitimate people have informed me they will not be back because they had problems getting on the forum.
Not acceptable.

I have put status back to activation and will not require my manual approval at this point.
Will have to watch for signatures AND URL websites (shown as under forum name) for inappropriate content.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )