Author Topic: Templates  (Read 4963 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
    • www.ResolveChurchConflict.com
Templates
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »
Is it possible to use templates not created in CSB?   ???  If so, how does one do that and are there any restrictions on the kind of templates I could import?

Thanks. 

Ken N.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Templates
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
(moved thread to CSB section for better organization)

Well, technically no.
But practically almost yes.

You can make almost the same designs work in CSB but you must do it manually.  
You can not just import and apply.
Lots of us have found template designs we like or that inspired us and made CSB versions.

Usually the background image(s) can be used in some way.
Font colors are limited to the 256 CSB offers, but one should be similar to the one in the template.
You can build the STYLE for fonts, headers, etc. (Look under the FORMAT STYLE option) so you can quickly define the text look you want for specific sections.  
- Simply change the STYLE to the settings that fit YOUR design.
- Type your heading where you want it, select/highlight it and apply the format.
- If you change your STYLE defininition, all the areas of text that use that style will change at one time too.
(ex: if headers are bolded and you change them to bolded italic, changing the style will change ALL TEXT that is assigned to that style!)

Limitations:
- You may not be able to LAYER background colors.
- Stay away from curved text boxes, CSB doesn't work well with that but other than that most designs can be implemented in a similar fashion inside CSB.

If you have a certain design you are interested in, let us know and we may be able to advise....

Xara's Webstyle 4 has a few templates that I have used for different CSB sites.
Sometimes the template was implemented as designed.
Other times I get a SHAPE or tonals in my mind instead of the actual content/layout.
This has happened to me on many occasions.  Use the template as a jumping off point.
Examples:  (upper left corners of web pages....)

ORIG XWS4 design:

IMPLEMENTED in CSB EXACTLY like the template.
This shot was taken from my "sample" made for client.

This SHAPE was inspired by that same template:
Shot taken from existing CSB website.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:20:43 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »
Thanks Samantha for responding so quickly.   :clapping:

So to adapt a template from Xara, what do I need to do next.  I have downloaded the free trial but that doesn't give me access to the templates.  Do I have to purchase the program to find one that I like? And even I find one, how do I use it in CSB?

Alternatively, I supposed I could find a jpg file I like and make is the background for all pages in CSB - but that may be lacking.  

I guess the age of CSB is beginning to show.

Thanks.  Any further thoughts will be appreciated.

Ken

PS.  For a new site I will be creating, I am using the softward at OneWebHosting.  It looks good with a number of surprisingly useful options.  Are you familiar with it?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:29:38 PM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
I guess the age of CSB is beginning to show.
In other ways, but not for implementing templates.  
We can implement templates that can blow your mind!  We have abilities in this program that were WAY ahead of its time, allowing it to continue to be viable....

Xara Web Designer (XWD) is the NEW program from Xara, replacing Webstyle 4.
Totally DIFFERENT type of program!  It is NOT what you want to use for this project.
Uninstall it. You will not use this version of the program.
XWD is for building full web pages and will become a great website builder but is not ready yet.
Read my review of that program here.
Only on version 1 with 1 patch.  They have a couple VERY IMPORTANT things to resolve before I would recommend it to anyone! But it has GREAT potential for the future!!!

Xara Webstyle 4, discontinued a couple months ago, is still available for download at one site:
h**p://www.fileaward.com/Download/webstyle.html
Click download 1 on that page to get the file directly from XARA.  
Believe me, they will cut that link when they realize it is still active.
Comes with 15 day trial, many templates included. Probably will allow you to purchase from within the program.
Or just uninstall after the trial expires.

This program is PERFECT for designing stuff to go into other programs!
All the pieces work together with each other.
- Design Banners, Logos, Buttons and Bars
- Design Navigation Bars and Dynamic Menus
- Create Complete Themed Web Page Layouts

You can read about the program here (but download is broken now)
h**p://www.gnc-web-creations.com/xara-webstyle.htm

For a new site I will be creating, I am using the softward at OneWebHosting.  It looks good with a number of surprisingly useful options.  Are you familiar with it?
h**p://www.onewebhosting.com/sitebuilder.php
Believe it or not, you are going with a TRELLIX product.   :D  
Made by the company that discontinued CSB! And both products were started from the same beginning software!

Well.  That's your choice and I understand it, but don't agree with it for MANY reasons.
If you go that route and your service drops for any reason (overloaded servers, slow servers, bad servers with downtime, no tech support, price changes, you change hosts, etc) you have to rebuild your site FROM SCRATCH with another companie's builder.  (and other reasons.....)  Though very easy and fast to build they have great limitations and the worst is when the service drops or pricing changes, you are STUCK.  The web pages have to stay on the server where built because you can not edit them any where else.  And THIS SITE, Samisite.com forum, is the ONLY SUPPORT for the online site builders!  YUP. No one else supports that software! NONE of the hosts do.  They send visitors to this site (used to send people to GlobalSCAPE forum).

If you want to move away from CSB, then do it to ANOTHER PC installed software so you do not regret it.
Site Spinner is a good choice.

h**p://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/spinner/index.html
and comes in PRO version with more options.

ALSO.... Another CSB user sent me to look at NetObjects Fusion software. Really interesting LOADED web builder.
And they have a FREE ESSENTIALS version of the software that may have potential.
I will review it shortly but if you want to look at it yourself this is where to go:  h**p://www.netobjects.com/html/essentials.html

Product Features:
- Drag and drop layouts  
- Site Management Tools
- Upload files with built-in FTP
- Form builder
- Photo Gallery
- e-commerce tool
- Custom shape tools
- Rollover images
- Insert custom HTML and scripts
- Flash, Quicktime, and more
- publish locally (preview) and full publish to web

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »
Thanks for your in-depth response.  This whole process is a little disheartening.  I downloaded the Xara but only three templates were for free and it would cost like $80 to get the whole package just to find a template.  If I were going to consider the FREE Net Fusion program (which by the way, each template had to be purchased kin this Free version), and wanted to upgrade to the real program, reviews said version 11 is difficult to master.  I would love to continue in CSB for now.  I just looked at ALLwebco site.  It has great templates, but I think your said that they couldn't be used in CSB.

I was drawn to onewebhosting program - probably because I have the Trellix / CSB DNA imprint within.  They offered some really great templates and a lot of other features.  I fully agree with you in terms of how precarious depending on an online program can be.  

I have looked a Site Spinner.  It may be fine.  But even here, I am not crazy about their templates.  If I could purchase a template and put it in CSB I would.  But since I apparently can't, I still am not sure what to do.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.  Any additional guidance will be appreciated.

For years, you have been faithfully serving a large community and for that I, and many others, are grateful.   :clapping: :clapping:

Ken N.

PS.  With Site Pro Builder, could I import templates from a site such as Allwebco.  If I could that make be determinative for me.

Thanks again.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:45:49 AM »
I just looked at ALLwebco site.  It has great templates, but I think your said that they couldn't be used in CSB.
I said you can not IMPORT templates into CSB.  The templates are HTML pages, with code and images.
I said you would have to implement the designs manually.  

Several of us have gotten templates from sites, or gotten ideas for templates from sites/programs and used "tricks" to do the same or similar in CSB.
Sometimes that means cutting the solid image into pieces to fit into borders, sometimes that means using the large image and building a table over top, etc.

Just like the samples I gave you before of the webstyle template, I was able to implement that into CSB, including the menus.  Couldn't be imported into CSB, but I DID implement it smoothly!
Most of the time you can (stay away from curved text boxes!).

If I could purchase a template and put it in CSB I would.  But since I apparently can't, I still am not sure what to do.
Pick out a template you like.  Let us know what it looks like.
We will let you know if you can do something similar in CSB.
Don't buy it yet...just send us to look....

------
As to the other programs, I have not looked at the FREE Essentials program yet. Hadn't heard of it till just this past week so was just passing on word, not recommending it.

If I were going to consider the FREE Net Fusion program (which by the way, each template had to be purchased kin this Free version),
Well yes.  And no.
If you use the SITE WIZARD to start a site, you can make basic web pages similar to CSB's layouts (with basic color/graphic, text, buttons, graphics preset). I tried the PHOENIX/purple layout and when it loaded, I found a very nice site map, then went to individual pages within the program. Then wandered through the STYLES and found some really lovely buttons, banners, and applied them to my current site.  Fast to change.  Then duplicated a style and changed text colors, highlights, etc.  Found it VERY FAST and easy to get started with this program.
Will have to look at this program closer. This program DOES ALLOW FRAMES and links to iframe names that you can identify.  WELL loaded for a free program!  Must be an earlier version of the current $200 program.

I do own a copy of Site Spinner Pro but have not gotten into it yet.  Wanda and others have though and really like the program. I will learn it but not sure if it will become my MAIN software.... We have OTHER software listed on the Samisite Forum, main page.  Take a look and try something else out.  See if any suit your fancy.

The online site builders are neat. Convenient and perfect for a personal or temporary site that will not matter much.
But business sites, or sites that you expect to keep for long-term should NOT be put into such arrangements.

For years, you have been faithfully serving a large community and for that I, and many others, are grateful.
Thank you for your kind words.  :-[
I am only a user of the software just like you.  I arrived at the Trellix Cafe without ANY knowledge of the web and was given help, guided to answers, places to research and read. That assistance changed the course of my life. I am still grateful to the people that helped me get started (Turtle, KW, Lianna, others). And equally grateful for those I have met on this online journey!  Through helping them, I have grown. Without their encouragement and prodding, I would not have learned and accomplished what I have. I am glad to pass that on to others. We are connected in this world and our actions DO impact others. Hopefully mine will be remembered as positive.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:17:24 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha