Author Topic: What a mess - my life hangs in the balance...  (Read 4429 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
What a mess - my life hangs in the balance...
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
What a mess. I recently signed up at sentrylogin.com, to run a password protection interface on one of my CuteSites. Having used CuteSite (Trellix) for years now, I don't know how to upload FTP files. Even if I knew how, my computer has a virus which is not allowing me to download and use new programs. So I found this site where I can use their FTP interface - net2ftp.com. But I don't know where to upload the file that I need to upload, in order to make the password protection stuff work properly.

Can somebody walk me through this, please. It's a pretty simple task from what I've read but I have no clue how to do it. I have to put this - Sentry_keyfile.php - on my site's server.

Here are the instructions they give me at Sentry to do this:

"Unzip and then simply upload the file called Sentry_keyfile.php to your server. Do not edit it in any way, and don't alter the case of any letters in the filename; PHP servers are often case-sensitive. Place it in the same folder as your login page AND place a copy of it in any folder(s) which will contain protected pages."

What folder do I put this in? How do I identify which folders contain my protected pages? Here isHow do I put this in the folder? Again, I CAN'T use FTP programs because of the virus my computer has. I CAN use an online FTP upload service, but I CAN'T figure out what folder to put it in....arrgh...

Any advice would be appreciated, my life hangs in the balance here. (Not much of an exaggeration unfortunately.)

- Webster
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:49:20 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: What a mess - my life hangs in the balance...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Sorry that you have such dire straits but together we can get you where you need to be.

First let me get you understanding FTP (online or in a program from your own computer).  FTP is not difficult.  It is actually pretty easy once you get the basic concepts.  Take a look at this thread.  Read it through.  Look at the pictures.  And be sure you get through the end of the thread...I go into CSB specifics of the kinds of files and folders that CSB puts on your site so you can understand what you are seeing.

You will need to find WHICH FOLDER you are currently using for your website. 
Look at your CSB publishing settings for the "FTP Directory".
Do you have anything in that field or is it blank?
- If you leave it blank, then CSB uploads your website files directly to the main area of your hosted space.
- If you have a folder name in that field, you publish to a specific folder defined by your host (read that other page).
This is where you upload your sentry file.

Look for your index.htm file and that will be your HOME PAGE of your website.
NOTE: if you publish subdirectories, you will have an index.htm file in each of the subdirectory folders too.
============================

How to set up Sentry:  This instruction is taken from the features page:
1) After Setting up your account, simply Copy & Paste the Provided Sentry Page Protection module at the top of your pages. Easy!
So, in CSB, each page you want to protect for members, you will need to paste the special module they provide you into an INSERT HTML box.

2) Next, paste the Provided Login Form code on your home page, then upload your modified files to your server as you normally would.
They will provide a second code that cuts a login box into your home page, with username/password combo.  This is put into an insert HTML somewhere on the home page that is convenient for your page layout.

"Unzip and then simply upload the file called Sentry_keyfile.php to your server. Do not edit it in any way, and don't alter the case of any letters in the filename; PHP servers are often case-sensitive. Place it in the same folder as your login page AND place a copy of it in any folder(s) which will contain protected pages."

Unzip the file they give you on your own computer.  Then using FTP, load the Sentry_keyfile.php to the same folder that holds your home page (see notes above and on the other page).    If you want to password protect any subdirectories, you will need to put that into your subdirectory folders too.

===========================

Now....Lets talk about your computer. 
If you have not already made copies of your website files, DO IT NOW.  Making a full back up of ALL your files now will probably replicate your infection into the back up copies, but at the very least you should save external copies of your website files!  Please read this thread about backups.  In your case make sure you have TLX design files backed up! 

A word of warning.....
You have an infection, a virus of some sort.  If you upload files to your website, you COULD send infected files to your website, infecting others if they visit your site!  In addition, if you have a KEYLOGGER active on your computer, your username/password for the site will be sent to whomever infected you.   
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: What a mess - my life hangs in the balance...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »
I would get rid of the virus pronto. Do you have a virus protection suite? Like Sammy says, if you don't it can cause a lot more problems if you don't get rid of it first.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment