Author Topic: virus on Facebook and other social sites  (Read 4741 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
virus on Facebook and other social sites
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
How do you get infected?
  - email with a fake YouTube video link.
  - "dirty" link on Facebook and other social sites.

’Koobface’ is the name of this nasty.  It spreads itself by sending messages like many other viruses.
Sometimes it pretends to be from a Facebook friend.

The email has a link that sounds interesting...maybe ‘you look funny in this new video’ or something similar.
When you try to view the video, you will be prompted with a dialogue box that requires an update to Adobe’s Flash Player.  That 'update' is not real. It is how your computer gets infected.

Once infected, the aim of the virus is to propagate and steal credit card info!
- waits for the user to complete an online transaction and then storing the data or
- searches the host computer for cookies which may have retained credit card information from prior transactions

Read about it here.
“Unfortunately, users are very trusting of messages left by 'friends' on social networking sites. So the likelihood of a user clicking on a link like this is very high”, says Alexander Gostev, Senior Virus Analyst at Kaspersky Lab. “At the beginning of 2008 we predicted that we'd see an increase in cybercriminals exploiting MySpace, Facebook and similar sites, and we're now seeing evidence of this. I'm sure that this is simply the first step, and that virus writers will continue to target these resources with increased intensity”.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:23:22 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: virus on Facebook and other social sites
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
I see this was from 08 - has there been a recent rash of infections?
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
YUP.   :yes:

Same little nasty reported on our local TV stations!!!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »
I just read the full report.. I have a serious dislike for those nasty people!!!!  >:(
Success is a way of life found moment by moment