Author Topic: Any way to mark specific posts as read or to remove from unread or new post list  (Read 76568 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
I am using some sites that have this and it really comes in handy. For example I see my unread or new posts and there are some I would like to save for next time when I have more time or something but others I don't want to read. I don't see a way to delete the ones I want to skip - or show as read I guess even when they weren't. I don't have a SMF fourm going at the moment and don't recall if this was an option.

The way things are I just leave all of the unread ones in there whether I am interested or not so I won't lose the ones I want to come back to. It gets pretty full and takes time to read through them to find the ones I want to see.

Thanks for listening.. lol

waves hi!!! Sorry I've just been so busy lately. I miss you and the fourum :)
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
At the top of each thread is a set of tabs on the right side.  One of the tabs is "MARK AS UNREAD".
If you want to see this thread in the UNREAD SINCE LAST VISIT next time, just mark it unread!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Thanks Sam, I know - I was talking about in the view that you see when you go to show unread posts. What I am trying to avoid is having to open all of the ones I want to save just to mark that and to be able to maybe just delete the ones I don't want to read while in that view. It might not be an option. I have been so super busy I don't get in often and then dont' always have time for more than one or two reads. Each time I return my list to look through grows longer because I have to leave them all up or like you said open the ones I want to save and mark unread. I guess it isn't that big of a deal. I am just used to doing that with threads now and noticed how convenient it is.. lol

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
What I am trying to avoid is having to open all of the ones I want to save just to mark that and to be able to maybe just delete the ones I don't want to read while in that view.

Nope.  Not in this build of the forum.  Maybe there is an add-on Package I could install to handle it....   
Will check it out and see this weekend and let you know.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Oh really, thanks but I don't want to cause you any extra work! You do enough. I can make it work. I am just getting lazy maybe. But on the fly when things pile up and esp from a hand held, you know - it makes for a good excuse to be lazy. lol

(((((((((Sammy))))))))

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
I looked into it.  At this point, only the BETA of version 2 has options similar to what you want.
Version 2 is still in BETA testing and is not a stable release yet so should not be used in real production boards like this one.  We are using 1.1.7 so it may not be long till version 2 is implemented....

(Frankly, without Turtle to back stop me, I am terrified   :unsure: :ss-shocked: :unsure: of changing to the new version, even when it comes time to do that.  He was my safety net for all things PHP. He wouldn't do my work for me, but would point me in the right direction to learn what I needed to do! I learned so much from and because of him!  More than a year later, I still miss his guidance.  He was MY web guru and friend.  He made so many ripples in the web world. Teaching and mentoring so many people with kindness and gentleness of spirit. His effects will go on way past is too brief life!)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:49:02 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
Aw thanks. & I miss Turtle too. :-( One great thing that you have going for you is that they do have an excellent forum. If you ever run into troubles whether you make that change or not I believe you will find the help you need there. About making that change, unless there is something that just really makes you feel you have to have it, I'd say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  :D

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
I believe this is the appropriate forum to address my concern, so I'm going to ignore the warning that this thread is over 120 days old.

Like Safari Woman, I get here infrequently, but enjoy what I learn here when I have the time. 

It used to be that I could click on "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" (or some such text).  Now, in the last several months, I always get a screen that says "nothing's new!".

But, then I traverse to the forum pages, there's lots of new stuff.  Something' just ain't right!! :o

I don't get it.   :-\

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
HMM...  That link is at the very top of the home page in your personal stats section.
(For anyone reading this that is not familiar with what we are talking about: there's a + symbol just beneath the SamiSite name on the upper right side of the page that opens the member box with a couple links in it)

I clicked mine today and got some very RUDE posts by spammers and some good ones too like yours.
It's possible that the forum can only hold a certain number of days (ie 30 or 60). If it has been longer than that since you last logged in, it might reset your info.  ???   Will do a few tests and see what happens....

Oh.... could also be that you are not saving a cookie in your internet explorer/firefox browser that tells the forum when you last visited.  Are you using some software that cleans out cookies to speed up your browser or get rid of 'ad' stuff?  If so, this forum and others would have the same problem. Some programs allow you to define which cookies are necessary and not to be removed.  Others just clean house and get rid of favicons, temporary files, cookies, you name it making it necessary to login each time, and messing with the PROPER use of cookies.

As to the 120 days warning...sometimes it is best to start a new thread.  Sometimes a followup or continuation of the thread is the best way to handle it.  Glad you posted!   Glad you come on back no matter how long it has been between your visits!  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:39:34 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Also limited the personal messages, and added a new layer to the member groups.

Checking the place out
Probationary Member  11 posts
Junior Member  35 posts
Full Member  150 posts
Senior Member  425 posts
-Samantha