Author Topic: Bottom scroll bar not showing  (Read 12383 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Bottom scroll bar not showing
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »
RE: A new site I am building at myspace for a band. Just started on it so it's still conceptual.. however I have found here and on a couple of other sites I viewed there lately that no scroll bar appears at the bottom of the page. I searched the code against other pages I have built where the scroll bar shows up and can't find anything different that should affect the showing or not showing of it. I checked it in three browsers. I have seen this on some other sites too & it is a big problem since myspaces are set table widths and really HAVE to be scrollable to work properly.

I searched this topic and have found nothing about it so I am puzzled.

Any comments or ideas to even get me looking in the right direction will be appreciated. :-)

oh the site lol.. I almost forgot ..  http://www.myspace.com/backwashhawaii 
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Bottom scroll bar not showing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »
IE 6 at home. 
- At 800x600, I can see whole page, no horizontal scroll bar needed, none shown. 
- Made window smaller (to about 500x400), horizontal and vertical scroll bars needed and both shown.
Menus are usable.

Firefox at home.
- At 800x600, I can see whole page, no horizontal scroll bar needed, none shown. 
- Made window smaller (to about 500x400), horizontal and vertical scroll bars needed and pnly vertical is shown.
The outer grey table that surrounds the page is adjusting in size % but the other tables are not. They remain fixed in position, but the page is NOT usable. 

IE is on top, Firefox is on the bottom.  They should appear the same (except for scroll bar)
But please note the content of the window shows the CSS is not well written for this theme causing far more than the scroll bar issue. The content is not left justified or centered in both windows....

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
Thank you for taking a look Sammy. Some of the inherant problems with myspace is the built in css codes that are poorly written and how they just provide you an area to fill in adjustable settings. ..BTW .. my res is 1024 x 678 so I am not sure then why I am still not getting the scroll bar. I guess since you didn't mention it, you didn't see anything in the code about the scroll bar..

I have asked on their volunteer tech forum but no answers yet either. They are doing something that has affected a few sites and most of the messed up things are in their own code. I wrote them yesterday about something else that suddenly started happening on some pages.. a page frame appearing justified left and causing the frame to run down through all of the right hand tables. They replied they are aware of that and working on it. But what is weird is how some sites are fine in both cases and some aren't.

This is when I wish I knew more generally about css. I can generate and tweak it but I'm no expert.

Hmmm well I remain puzzled

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:53 PM »
If it is contained in the css, you would have no control over it since the css is not on your site.  The code is pointing to a MASTER set of css documents. 

I went through tons of lines of code.  Did not see anything that controlled the window design by limiting access to the scrollbar    [ex: scrollbars=0, or scrollbars=1 or fullscreen mode, etc.]

But I am dismayed to see that the basic layout is not consistent from IE to FF on such a large template system.  Even CSB is closer than that template!

The problem could be a COMBINATION of content, or settings (centering, left justification, table in table, etc). Sometimes when you have certain scripts they can conflict and cause unexpected results.  Maybe that is the same thing for you. 

Take a look at the broken sites.  What do they have in comment (content wise).  Then see if that same thing is in the working sites.  If you can't find it in the working site, then you have your answer.  Change the setting to whatever you have in your working site and you will be back in business.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:50:20 AM »
I don't know why but when I opened your link in  FF there was also no horizontal scroll bar. Then I changed the Zoom level (bottom right hand corner on the FF window) to 125% and the scroll bar appeared. Now it is also there at 100% zoom level. Maybe you or FF team updated while I was browsing.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
Everything I just thought was wrong.. grr

Oh my gosh! Mine doesn't have that either

Oh yes the difference between displays on explorer and FF on Myspace is extreme. I build for FireFox more than Ex here because so many more myspacers use it. .. only because it is a known fact that pages display according to what you expect code to do in FireFox.

For what it is though.. I still have to say I have learned tremendous things by setting up myspaces and got so many ideas about so many different things in my life that I treasure the experience even though it is frustrating to work with their interface and through their site codes.

Now today, one of my sites has all of the friend order appearing NOT as how it is set up to show them. So they are definitely working on some things there and for their sake I hope it is going to in the end make it so that items show better in Explorer or at least more similarly in both Firefox and Explorer for the people who make sites. With 60 million users - you would think they could take the time to figure this out.

Thanks for the input too Etienne -

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:41:15 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:00:03 AM »
OK Now I fixed it not happy but it works. The code I used flipped the normal layout so that all tables that were normally left were on the right.. for what ever reason flipping it back to its normal layout allows auto horizontal scroll bars. Being a freebie myspace favor job.. lol.. it is staying like it is. But how weird. Thanks for the input. Maybe a future myspacer will find this and save themselves some grief. BTW that was also what I found in two other sites with no Hor scroll bar.. they had been flipped.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
Firefox tools - Samrc Congrats Wanda!!!   
Glad to hear you got that layout headache sorted out.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

(I split off all the FireFox talk to another thread under Favorite Web Tools....)
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
I am still building the site but I have added 6 songs... being this is my son's band.. just wanted to let you know in case u r interested :)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
I remember the photo contest (zine cover art) a while back and it made me wonder about the name of the site...  :yes:  And this note: "by WHC aka Band Mom Productions" kinda gave it away.  Which is yours?
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »
The cute one!

rofl

Phil the singer (performer is more like it) lyric writer

yeah.. I took BMP off but I actually used to do a lot of promotions and participate in filming acted as an agent etc in Hawaii using that title - it was well earned believe me! lol   :yes:

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
Bummer....can't see pics (other than home page) since I do not have a myspace account....  :(
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
most of the loaded ones are on the profile or will be .. after the profile is complete I will set up a folder with some other images if I have time.. trying to work on too many things as usual.. I enjoy this though and its been positive for me causing me to go through old pictures of fun times.. :)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Oh Sammy meant to say.. why not get a myspace account.. you could have it up in just a few hours at most and advertise your site here on it.. I have one that I refer peeps to my main site on and since its been up my hits and orders have doubled. Just food for thought.. like you don't have anything else to do right? lol

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
Wanda.... You are the voice I hear on one shoulder...DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!  :yes:
Then I have another voice that looks like me that says...JUST SAY NO!   :noshake:

Have debated it back and forth in my head... yes...no... do I want or need it?
Pros:  can only think of one. incoming link.
Cons: no traffic to the myspace from it to samisite.   None of my coworkers or personal friends interact with that type of account.  Would expect it to have only a couple web savy friends sign up (you and maybe another) to it so the myspace would be pathetic!
And we know that incoming links from pathetic sites do not help rankings and can actually drag samisite rankings down.   That might actually make me depressed.  :'(   

rofl

And content...what would I put up??  Not photos of me. Nope.  I have a couple of those on my samisite.  That's enough.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 01:59:23 PM »
Sammy, Sammy, Sammy! lol

Just my take on it.. 1st.. on my professional sites.. I invited NO friends and so far about a hundred that have asked to be my friends on each one.  I don't consider those sites even done yet so I haven't even thought about promoting them anywhere or inviting peeps to be friends yet. You can see those at

http://www.myspace.com/wanda_hope_carter and http://www.myspace.com/wanda_hope_for_the_future 

(yes u will see a frame off set to the left its a recent myspace change they say it will be fixed grr)

My third site.. more just my silly self.. the one I didn't want to put here.. lol I have about thirty real friends and over a hundred that have requested to be there and I've turned away lots there because I post pictures in private friends folders and I really don't want e1 seeing those to figure out who I am .. the site is under a playful name not my own.. I never asked anyone except a few bands to be friends. Bands comedians and films will usually all say yes if you ask as do most people if you really want to reach out. I haven't yet.

Don't worry if you build it they will come!!!!!!!!!! lol

2nd OMGoodness, do you know how valuable finding your site could be to myspace users? Incredible. If I were you .. What I would put on it would be just some fun graphics reflecting your interests along with brief descriptions in the fill in the blank areas.. and in the all about me area a mini bio of expertise. THEN in the blogs.. occasionally post some of your fantastic ideas and knowledge .. just enough with a link to your site. You can put links on your profile too. Embed them in your images .. what ever.

In your pictures.. you could put a few things like what you have on your Sammy site and maybe some of your computer graphics. Shoot you  know you can create your own site graphics too :-)

Oh Sammy I think you would find yourself a very popular person at myspace! :)

I hope you check out what I am doing and take some looks around search their tech info.. etc.. I just have a feeling it would benefit you here. If you have a mind to you can also do what I am starting at some sites of putting up things on zazzle and such as you can embed a slide show of your work. Its soooo easy and with all of those awesome computer graphics you have sheeesh you are already ready to go!

As your friend I would encourage you to sign up for free ya know and just start looking around at it. I think once you see what its really all about you will start getting lots of ideas. Your page would be awesome are you kidding?

:D

sorry bad typing no sleep and one of those Mondays!

PS SAMMY, IF you visit my hope for the future site.. would you please feed my turtle and spider for me lol rofl
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:15:43 PM by SafariWoman »

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
Fed the turtle and the spider.  Turtle was more finicky...would only eat once you got him in the water.  Our turtle would have liked him. 

:hearts: Love that version of over the rainbow!!!  :hearts:
Have the mp3 on my lariat (only have 25 songs, the rest of the space is audio books and old radio programs so you KNOW how much I like it!)
Gorgeous trees on the nature site.  Looks like a Tolkien forest...expect to see an elf or other natural element appear... Good links on that one.

Don't worry if you build it they will come!!!!!!!!!! lol
Ya...heard that about this forum too... 

OMGoodness, do you know how valuable finding your site could be to myspace users? Incredible.

THEN in the blogs.. occasionally post some of your fantastic ideas and knowledge

I hope you check out what I am doing and take some looks around search their tech info.. etc.. I just have a feeling it would benefit you here.
At this point, my site is designed for CSB users. And that product is dead so that is not going to generate growth.  That's where MY expertise comes in. I am not an expert on anything else. Have a smattering of other knowledge but just enough to be dangerous.  :D

Oh Sammy I think you would find yourself a very popular person at myspace!
Ya...ok...if you say so.

As your friend I would encourage you to sign up for free ya know and just start looking around at it. I think once you see what its really all about you will start getting lots of ideas. Your page would be awesome are you kidding?

I will consider a myspace account... maybe once I have worked with a few more web builders and get more experience under my belt, maybe after I have a few tutorials for other programs posted (after I work on the FORMS section of samisite....). Haven't ruled it out.  But haven't ruled it in either..... ;)  Awesome?  My OWN samisite isn't awesome and you want me to make a myspace that is? Think your expectations are too high..... :yes:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
Thanks Sammy lol your turtle would have killed him.. hehe yeah he is spoiled! lol

Iz is awesome! That song means so much to me. I listen to it often as well. What a beautiful song and his voice and presentation is just so sweet. For a man that weighed over 600 poundns -he was a sweetheart. RIP

Well Sammy, I still think you are not realizing how much information that you have in that brain of yours about web building! Cute is dead but your general knowledge is what is a well of information. Do you realize how little most people know compared to you? Maybe you don't think you are an expert but you are certainly informed, knowledgable, capable of explaining things, have a helpful nature, and are able to take your skills to the next level. That is a lot and contains a lot that is valuable.

Ok I won't bug you about it any more I promise.... but I remain encouraging to you .. just know that. I think it would be quite the learning experience too. Not in the how to do it area maybe, but in the what is happening on the internet area. It was a real eye opener for me! All sites I build now will be so much better and different than anything I could have ever thought of before.

And yeah, I still think your site would be awesome but if it makes you feel better I will say, I think your site would be really nice! lol  :D

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »
 :thankyousign:

You are a kind lady! Not ruling it out or in at this point...we will see....
-Samantha