Author Topic: New to Forum - BIG CSB File  (Read 4202 times)

Offline hidden

• Restricted
    • barbspencerdolls.com
New to Forum - BIG CSB File
« on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »
Hi,
I am new to posting on the forum.  Have been drafted to help my wife with her web site using CSB3.  I work on computers almost every day, however know very little about building web sites.  Have started looking at topics on forum that I need to learn more about.  I am on a steep learning curve.  Our file is very large (250+MB) and very very slow!  Need to get another domain name and cheap host to rebuild site with subdirectories.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good web host to use or other suggestions?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: New to Forum - BIG CSB File
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »
Well first, WELCOME to the forum!   :welsign:And to the world of web mastering. 

1) "steep learning curve"
CSB is a lovely program and is easy to use and learn!  Rest easy on that one. 
If you have ever used word or wordperfect or even wordpad, the interface in CSB will feel similar to you.
We can coach you on anything you need to do here on the forum.  Several experienced users hang out here to give guidance and moral support.  We are a friendly bunch so don't be shy asking a question!

And there are support sites (samisite.com and csbsupport.com) to give you good information how to implement things.  We try to not overlap so things you do not find on my site you will find on KW's.

CSB is FAR easier to learn than Frontpage, Dreamweaver and other heavy programs.

2) Domain name and hosting.  Lots of places to host on the web. Most paid hosting will allow subdirectories with no problem. Free hosts have major limitations so I would not recommend them for long-term solutions.

We will each give you an idea who you should consider.  I have used and continue to interface with MANY hosts.  My preferred web host is TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM (TCH). Reasons: price, account sizes/bandwidth are competitive, uptime has been outstanding and I have had excellent service.  Many hosts have those going for them (like godaddy.com).  BUT TCH also offers CPANEL for your hosting management software, running on LINUX servers.  I like that setup best. You have far more security options on LINUX than Windows servers. And CPANEL allows you to quickly set up some things that make your life easier (protected folder, blocking IP addresses, etc). Starter accounts are only $44/year (less than $4/mo).  One business that I work on has 250+ pages on that little starter account and it works out well for them!  Note about LINUX servers:  page names are CaSE SenSItIve.  So a link to contactme.htm will not get you to a page that is actually named ContactMe.htm. When I moved over to Linux from Windows I had a lot of cleaning to do. But truthfully, if I had been building the site properly up to that point, I would not have had to clean the file names!

3) SLOW FILE.
I am amazed that a CSB tlx design file 250MB will open and publish.  Yes you DEFINITELY need subdirectories to resolve that issue.  Easy to do but will be time consuming.
FIRST and very importantly: choose FILE SAVE AS and RENAME your design file.This is done for two reasons: your original file becomes a backup and the file will be compacted.  This procedure should be done often.

[I put the date into the file name (maindirect-01-01-07.tlx) and then next time I edit, I file save as and rename again (maindirect-01-15-07.tlx). I can go back to my old files, burn them on disk for reference, etc.]

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE tlx design file before you begin and store it somewhere in case you need to come back to it.
Read this page about subdirectories.
Click the link on that page that sends you to KW's instructions for cutting a LARGE file down to smaller files.

(I am moving this post to the CSB General area for easier tracking)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:24:09 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
    • barbspencerdolls.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
Thanks for your fast response.  I checked out TCH and they look like what I was thinking about.  My thoughts were to set up another domain and host to work on the monster file.  I need to work out the kinks, then publish on orginal site after it is up and running properly. Then use new domain and host for another part of our business.  Our file is so large we can't do a "save as"because we get an error message.  The only way to save changes is just "save".  I burn a backup disk about every two weeks now. It is 261MBs and growing.  To save or publish takes awhile!  Rebuilding links, looks like to me will be the biggest problem.  If anyone has any suggestion or things to look out for please let me know.  Our site is http://www.barbspencerdolls.com .

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:26:07 AM »
Ah.  You are working with Barb.  EXCELLENT!
We have been telling her that she DEFINITELY needs to split her file!
If you would like, I can email you the instruction email I wrote to her in September.
You may have an easier time of this if you go over it before you start.

The splitting is usually the easy part. You will be taking a copy of your BIG file and deleting TONS of pages from the file. Then FILE SAVE AS, not save and give it A NEW NAME.  This will force CSB to compact the file and remove memory of the old deleted pages. The file size will be greatly diminished.  You will do this several times.  Each time you leave only SOME pages in the file, different than the other small design files.  You will end up with a bunch of smaller design files.  Each one will be a subdirectory. And can be done before you start the publishing. Then you will publish  BEHIND your existing website.

The existing website stays intact and working while you build the new subs behind the scenes!

You will need to edit your subdirectory files to make your links from one sub to another. YOU will be able to see your subdirectories as you build them.  Your customers won't know they exist because your main site will not have links to the new directories. You will get all subs up and running, relinked, ready to go THEN the last step is to work  work on the home page and main section of the site. The main section will link to each of the subdirectories.

Painless for your customers and easier for you if you stay on the same host, publish behind your current website if you have the space!  Then all your linking will be correct and can be fully tested as you rebuild!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:37:22 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Restricted
    • barbspencerdolls.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
We have looked for that email. Thought we saved it, but it is no where to be found.  Please email it again.