Author Topic: Dog and Cat Foods Killing Pets - Massive Recall  (Read 25743 times)

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: Dog and Cat Foods Killing Pets - Massive Recall
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »
Oh Sam I am sorry that is often a sign of several different things -- so I hope you can figure out which one it is as they might need a vet trip. Good Luck and I hope its nothing serious.  :hearts: :calico:
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 04:12:53 PM »
New Manufacturer added to pet food recall http://www.sunshinemills.com/press_release.html

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
:schipbark:

Yay - she barked - when I left her outside on her chain for a minute past when she was done!! woohoo  :kickdancing: She is still hobbling around and not well but what a good sign her spirits are up and that she is feeling so much better.

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »
a summary from another forum

Click on the links below for details from the manufacturers of brands, flavors and production batches affected by the recall.

http://menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

http://menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_03302007_en_US.htm

http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/2007/MightyDog.aspx

http://www.sunshinemills.com/press_release.html

Sam, I hope your kitty is ok and I'm glad Tara is better. 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2007, 10:48:25 PM »
I am at my mother's house for the night so I won't know if there are more problems til tomorrow.  :(

BUT at least I am comforted by this statement:
Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall – including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.

About a year ago, I switched from Hills feline w/d dry (is on the recall list) to Purina One dry (a few of them that I mix together). With the wetting, I was afraid that I had an affected cat. But feel better knowing that Purina says the dry foods are ok.  :clapping:  My oldest cat just turned 16, is obese and is probably the culprit of the wet throw rug... If it happens again I WILL take her to the vet to be checked out. :luck: that it is nothing important. Will let you know when I know.

Glad to hear the dog is barking again and feeling better.  Hope you get over your flu too!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 11:19:55 PM »
Jim, Thats a good list up there - this is the only place I have seen it put together online. It would be good if news sources would do that.  A bark is a sign of encouragement but there are other signs that she is clearly not out of the woods yet.  :unsure:  :(

Sam, I am finding lots of wonderful holistic things for animals that I am going to try with Tara, some things work for me so its worth a try and I hate giving her more medicine which is always toxic. I saw some for urinary tract fortification If you interested it's out there or I can share what I've found.

Thanks for the well wishes, I am feeling better  :)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2007, 09:26:45 AM »
more news on the pet food contamination.

Jim

China Factory linked to tainted food bulldozed
The owner of the factory in China had the place bulldozed before the FDA inspectors arrived.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=petfood10&date=20070511&query=china+factory

Factory linked to tainted food found closed
By Don Lee and Abigail Goldman
Los Angeles Times

XUZHOU, China -- Before Mao Lijun's business exported tainted wheat products that may have killed U.S. pets, his factory sickened people and plants around here for years.

Farmers in this poor rural area 400 miles northwest of Shanghai had complained to local government officials since 2004 that Mao's factory was spewing noxious fumes that made their eyes tear up and the poplar trees nearby shed their leaves prematurely. Yet no one stopped Mao's company from churning out bags of food powders and belching smoke -- until one day last month when, in the middle of the night, bulldozers tore down the facility.

It wasn't authorities that finally acted: Mao himself razed the brick factory -- days before the investigators from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration arrived in China on a mission to track down the source of the tainted pet food ingredients.

U.S. inspectors said Thursday the suspect facilities had been hastily closed down.

"There is nothing to be found. They are essentially shut down and not operating," said Walter Batts, deputy director of the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) office of international programs.

In the end, Chinese authorities caught up with Mao and arrested him. And Tuesday, after weeks of denials, China acknowledged that Mao's company and another Chinese business had illegally exported wheat and rice products spiked with melamine, a chemical used in making plastics and fertilizers. That chemical is banned in U.S. foods. in the U.S.

China's quality watchdog agency said the businesses had added melamine to the food ingredients "in a bid to meet the contractual demand for the amount of protein in the products." Melamine can make animal feed appear to have more protein than it actually does.

Besides turning up in pet food, melamine has been found in feed for thousands of hogs and millions of chickens in the United States. The FDA said Tuesday that melamine-contaminated foods also were fed to fish raised for human consumption. But in each case, U.S. officials said there was little risk to human health.

The number of U.S. fish hatcheries and farms known to have received the tainted feed rose sharply Thursday, with U.S. officials reporting about 60, up from 13 known Wednesday. That 60 included 23 in Oregon. The rest of the feed was shipped mostly to other Northwest states.

The FDA also said that although the tainted Chinese products were labeled as wheat gluten and rice protein, they were actually ordinary wheat flour -- with melamine and related nitrogen-rich compounds.

Melamine producers in China have said that melamine scrap, a cheaper form of the chemical, has been widely sold to entrepreneurs who use it to fool farmers into thinking that they were getting higher-nutrient animal feeds. Among the apparent buyers of melamine scrap were Mao, head of Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development, and Binzhou Futian Biology Technology.

Liu Zhaoyi, 64, a farmer who lives next to Mao's now-demolished factory, recalled seeing globs of white and yellowish scrap, which may have included melamine, piled in the yard behind the plant. One season after rains, Liu said, water with residue from the compound flowed into his family's cornfields and killed the crops.

Few people in town, which has a large food-manufacturing industry, seemed to know what Mao's factory made.

An Environment Protection Bureau official in Pei county, which is a part of Xuzhou, said one of his colleagues had visited Mao's facility in recent years when it was processing yeast and wheat. The inspection did not turn up any serious violations, and neighbors were told to complain to a court or another agency.

In recent days, Mao's company removed wheat gluten from the product offerings on its Web site. It also deleted something called ESB protein powder.

Xuzhou Anying had advertised the powder as its "latest researched, developed and produced" item and touted it as "a new way to solve the problem of shortage of protein resource." Several people with experience in China's food industry say such powders are invariably made with melamine.
Researchers believe another compound -- cyanuric acid -- also may have been added to the pet-food ingredients by Chinese firms or formed as a byproduct. Combined with melamine, cyanuric acid can form crystals and blocking kidney function in some animals.

China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said Tuesday that Xuzhou Anying and Binzhou Futian had evaded quality checks by labeling their products as exports not subject to inspection.

Farmer Liu said it was a shame officials failed to heed earlier complaints. "If they had done more, this company won't have such a big problem."

The Seattle Times staff, The Washington Post and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »
wo! Thats quite the story. I wonder what will ever happen to the guy for this heinous crime? I also read that the CFO of Menu Foods sold his stock ( dumped is what some reports say ) at the end of February. He claims it is a coincidence.  ??? What is alsoconcerning me is how much of this story we are not being told and that the public may never know. Thanks for that update Jim. I continue to feel my dog holistic natural human grade food and she has put on weight is healing up after her injury and is acting years younger because I can tell she just feels better. My friend who is a vet assistant tole me they are still getting record numbers of animals with renal failure that they believe is still related to foods. Glad this story hasn't slipped into the old news file. We need answers.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:54 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  I had not seen it anywhere else.
Maybe something good will come out of all the misery associated with the pet foods.
Maybe more caution will be used in both pet and human food prep... at least for a little while. :luck:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:07:34 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )