Author Topic: PDF Conversion Software  (Read 8790 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
PDF Conversion Software
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:25:29 AM »
 ??? Does anyone know if this is a catch? Sounds too good to be true because what is really for free?.

Primo PD, which converts files to pdf print format, is advertised for free. I've been using Adobe Acrobat for years and have regularly upgraded up to version 6 but version 7 was so expensive that I did not upgrade and am now starting to receive more and more annoying pop-ups that say Adobe no longer supports Acrobat version 6.:'( I just do straight forward conversions from e.g. Word or Power Point pages for downloading from web sites and was searching the web for cheaper software and came across Primo. Although Acrobat still works, maybe someone has seen or used Primo and could comment on it.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: PDF Conversion Software
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »
It is real. No joke and works well with very little file size difference compared to AA.
No scumware, spyware or nag screens.
I use PRIMO PDF at home and have put it on several machines for other individuals.

For just converting, Primo is just fine!
If you need other interactivity, then AA is needed. I use Adobe Acrobat at the office.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »
Hi Sami. I will download and try it. I did'nt think of a file size difference.
Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »
Some PDF converters do a sloppy job, making really BIG files.  Primo is well within tolerance compared to AA.  Been very satisfied with it.  And for people unfamiliar with AA higher abilities, Primo will work just fine for them!

Simply install the program.
Open your file (word, excel, whatever...) choose PRINT, Choose the PRINTER PRIMOPDF and print.  SIMPLE.

You can capture only what is on the screen, or print the document like normal, only it ends up in a pdf file instead of a printer.  Can choose WHERE the file ends up (choose a folder in your MyDocs folder) and even set it to open the pdf file after creation so you can check it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:50:39 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 06:22:13 PM »
I have been using Primo for a while now. It is great, no problems at all.
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 05:55:34 AM »
Tried it. Very straight forward.

I noticed however that every time I print to Primo, my PC's firewall blocks it from connecting to a DNS server. I compared 3 small single page original PowerPoint conversions to Primo with AA and the average difference in size was that Primo is 128% larger but I'm talking really small stuff e.g. 52K is now 67K. That is not significant for small pdf's. Thanks for input. It is much appreciated. 8)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 08:01:29 AM »
I have no firewall issue.   ???
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
I was sitting behind a firewall that blocks everything. I tried it on a less secure PC which also has a firewall and it also tried to connect to the internet there but once allowed it is fine. Primo might be monitoring the number of users.
Thanks.

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
I use this one on my Windows box

http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/

I have had a few minor issues with it but for the most part it works very well.

On my Linux computer I use CUPS print to pdf. It works OK too but it does not like Opera so I have to switch to SeaMonkey if I want to print a web page.

Pat Jr.

ubuntu - ===  fedora -  F8 ===  OpenOffice 2.3  === KDE 4.0 is ===  GNOME === take Puppy for a spin puppylinux.org it's free! ===

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:59:26 PM »
oh yea, if you use OpenOffice it can export to a pdf file with no extra software installed, Windows or Linux variant.

ubuntu - ===  fedora -  F8 ===  OpenOffice 2.3  === KDE 4.0 is ===  GNOME === take Puppy for a spin puppylinux.org it's free! ===

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
Ok... I have dumped PrimoPDF software.  It's good. It's free.  It's stable.
BUT

I prefer NITRO READER now.

One software that replaces adobe reader and primo pdf,
- it is lightweight, little system resources.
- read your PDF in Nitro.
- PRINT your files to Nitro to create a PDF document (shows as printer)
PLUS
- drag a document onto the Nitro icon and it will convert the document to PDF.
- sign documents
- highlight and strikethrough text
- add comments

Been using it for the last couple years and still loving it = favorite FREE PDF creator/reader in one.
 :TUP:

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Yep, using it too!

:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!