Author Topic: Convert Container Page to regular page  (Read 3732 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
Convert Container Page to regular page
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:48:55 PM »
Greetings ~    :help:

I have been using id90.htm for my pdf catalog for years, and it's a container page for one pdf file. I now find it necessary to break the catalog up into three parts because it's getting too big. I need help in converting the container page to a regular page so that I can feature the three new catalogs as clickable icons to go to one of three pdf files.  I want to maintain id90.htm as the page name.  How do I do that??

I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks,
Cheryl

Any

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Convert Container Page to regular page
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
Ok.. Not too hard.
You can delete your current container page.
FILE SAVE AS the file and give it a fresh name (I like to add in the date of the change myfile-12-08-09.tlx so I know when I did it).  This file save as DELETES memory of that existing PDF from the file, making it smaller and removing id90.htm from the file too.  The old file is still intact for reference should you need it.

Now you will only use the new fresh file.
Add in 3 new container pages (each with a new pdf in it, each with part of the catalog). These numbers could be anything assigned by CSB. will not matter.

Now add a new regular web page. Type your content and put 3 new links on it.  One pointing to each of the new catalog pieces.
Right click the web page.
Rename it to id90.htm   (read info about page properties)
   CSB4: type id90 into the short title field

CSB5: type id90 into the file name field

By renaming that web page, CSB will force the name id90.htm onto that page, no matter what the real id number is.

Please note that container pages allow you to upload the pdf docs to the website.
You could also just directly upload those files to your site and link to them if you want to make your tlx design file less bulky.  You can read this thread for 3 OTHER ways to link to PDF.

------------
Container files have lots of uses. You can also make a SINGLE container and use it for captured resources.  CSB will upload every one of those files to the web for you. Then just point to the file you need inside that folder.   Tutorial for using captured resources is here.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
 :clapping:  Thanks, Sami!!  Just completed the switch, as directed - except, I didn't make three separate container pages. I just did a brand new [id90] page, with three graphics to represent each catalog, and a URL/link to their live location on the website.

I realize, doing that, there are no navigation aids, but I put a note on the id90 page to use the BACK button to return to the home site.

By eliminating the container page with the pdf catalog, the tlx file is now 10MB smaller in size, which is one of the reasons I chose not to use any container pages with this version.

I appreciate your quick and detailed (as always) reply!!  :hapscream:

Cheryl

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
Congrats!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )