Author Topic: Backup Software  (Read 6118 times)

Offline hidden

• leather patterns specifically for the leather craftsman
Backup Software
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:59:21 PM »
Hi everyone:

Anyone have a really good backup software they would recommend?

Thanns Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><
God has a bigger purpose for your life than your biggest problem
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Master Guru!
  • Expert Member
  • keep on learning
    • The Pets Cornner
Re: Backup Software
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
Nero came with my DVD recorder
and has a nice backup program.
It will backup files or make a boot-able drive image spanning multiple DVDs.
-turtle

treasure your pets   :turtleblink:

Offline hidden

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »
Hi Turtle:

I'm looking fro something more that DVD backup's.  I need to back up a drive to an external drive.  One that will update on the fly.

Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:45:31 PM »
Hi Bighousedaddy,

I have been using Norton stuff since the DOS days and use Symantec Norton Ghost for the past 10+ years without any problems. Currently I have Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition which has a lots of handy goodies. I got it as a download from h**p://www.symantec.com/ . It does incremental backups and easily restores drives, folders or files when needed. You can also schedule backups at preset times but I don't. It works with USB and firewire drives as well.

There are many others including freebies though. A friend I know uses Freecom and is happy but I don't know it. An alternative to backups is synchronizing drives with Total Commander (h**p://www.ghisler.com/) which is in my opinion my most handy utility program. It compares drives and makes them asymmetrical in a few clicks. 
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 07:09:57 AM »
I use a MAXTOR external USB drive that came with RETROSPECT software to backup as often as you choose, either full or partial, compressed or not.  It's simple.  Same setup at office (well at least I BOUGHT one for the office and plan to set it up  ;))
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 03:58:09 AM »
I Have a Maxtor too It's very good but now I have a problem with the retro feature and so far haven't been able to fix it - it is possible a virus got in I think because it seemed to happen after one showed up on my main computer that was tagged and deleted by my virus software. Since I had it set to back up each night I wondered if somehow it got in after the virus arrived and before the virus ware deleted it

I haven't called them about it again because the first time was taking me forever to get through to anyone and I gave up at that time but this reminds me I need to do that and currently I have no back up ACK!  :yuck:

Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
Hello All... I went with Memeo.  Sami, can you send me a link to the backup software you recommended.  I can find it anywhere.  It was called retrospect.

Thanks Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
    • The Slagles
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Retrospect was developed by Dantz, I think.

EMC either bought Dantz or just the restrospect product.

http://www.emcinsignia.com/en/buy/buy_step1.dtml?platform=windows&family=retrospect

from $119.00 for a networked desktop or laptop to $1,449.00 for a multi server package.

Jim

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:22:51 PM »
My maxtor backup drive came with the Retrospect software.  The unit (drive and software) was $149.
And since it does a decent job, I did not seek other software.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )