Author Topic: Picture uploader  (Read 19320 times)

Offline hidden

• leather patterns specifically for the leather craftsman
Picture uploader
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:38:01 PM »
Hi all:

I'm looking for a way to allow others to upload pictures to my website.  Anyone know of a script... or any software that would work.

I'm looking for something simple... I have looked at some stuff.  This webpage seen promising, but it makes my head hurt trying figuare it out... can anyone help to decipher this page.
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/upload.html

Ken aka Bighousedaddy <><

God has a bigger purpose for your life than your biggest problem
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Picture uploader
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:31:21 AM »
Well, there are tons of scripts that offer uploading. They are FORM scripts with extra features.

I have one on my website.  Easy to install. But the form is not secure. (Neither is the form you sent us to look at!) Though I have set limits on types of files and sizes, the form would allow insertion of bad code by nefarious people/computers. The form could be used by a spammer to deliver thousands of emails even though it only points to my address on the web. So I keep the form behind a password for limited access.

Turtle recommended this page as a reference on this type of site interference:
http://www.securephpwiki.com/index.php/Email_Injection?seenIEPage=1
They show what a form script looks like and what injection is.  Then show you the result.  Even though some of it is geek speak, you will still get a good idea what it does.

What you need is a good secure form script with upload abilities. Not only do you not want spammers to have access, you want to be sure you do not get BAD files from people that can harm your website (take control or change it).  I do not recommend ANY particular form script.  One that is good today could be hacked tomorrow. But one you might consider is ultimateformmail.com at your own risk. You must purchase the script, but he does offer installation if you want it. Or check HOTSCRIPTS.COM for something that would work for you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:51:29 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
Hi Sami:

Thanx for responding to my question.

I think using the phrase "to allow others" to upload pictures was a miss typed thought on my part.  What I have is a website that I built for a lady that has a music school, and in the summer she has a music camp.  She would like to post pictures to her website without having to send me the pictures for me to post them.  So it would just be her alone using the upload link.

The way I see it is.....

1, Make an upload box that will ftp to a folder on her server.
2, Some script that will change the name of the picture to something like photo 01.
3, Change the picture's size to say 400 x 300.
4, Create a viewing page that calls for photo 01, photo 02, and so forth. so once its uploaded it will appear on the viewing page that anyone visiting her website an click on to see the pictures.
5, And lastly, provide a way for her to delete the pictures for replacement with another picture... this one has me baffled.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
AH.... Different scenario.

You should look into GALLERY or COPPERMINE image galleries.  They have the capabilities you want!
And best: they are FREE scripts that are LOADED with options.
Both Gallery and Coppermine have good reps for stability.
If you have access to FANTASTICO interface with your host, basic installation is simplified. 
Just a couple settings, then a couple clicks puts it in place!
If you don't have Fantastico interface, you might still check with your host if they offer any image galleries.
If they don't have either Fantastico interface or another image gallery already loaded on the server, you can get those scripts online and load them yourself with more effort.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:54:38 PM »
Hi Sami:

All this seems much bigger than my brain will allow.  Everyone is saying it's easy to install, but I don't think so.... atleast for me its difficult.

you said you have one installed on your website.... is it possible to look at it?

Ken
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »
What I have on my site now is a non-secure UPLOAD form, as per my first post. It does not rename, resize, etc as you later specified.

I do not have a GALLERY/COPPERMINE installation on my site at this time. I have considered adding one as a sample but have not yet.  Some other CSB users have had that and I know if Turtle were still here, he would point you to see some.

But using Gallery or Coppermine is OUTSIDE OF CSB.  These pages are controlled by the script that has an administration panel.  So I would ask you to go to this WONDERFUL site:  http://www.opensourcecms.com/  and on the left you will see a menu that offers IMAGE GALLERIES.  You can test them.  Play with them.  See how you feel working with them.  This is from the home page:

This site was created with one goal in mind. To give you the opportunity to "try out" some of the best php/mysql based free and open source software systems in the world. You are welcome to be the administrator of any CMS system here, allowing you to decide which system best suits your needs.

The administrator username and password is given for every system and each system is deleted and re-installed every two hours. This allows you to to add and delete content, change the way things look, basically be the admin of any CMS system here without fear of breaking anything. 

At the upper left hand side of your screen you will see a clock that is counting down. What it shows is how much time is left in this two hour demo window. Once the clock hits 00:00:00 the demos will be refreshed.

Love that site!!!  It is a treasure for all the advanced free (opensource) modules that add value to websites.
I played with forums on that site before choosing SMF.

Installing on YOUR site:  Well that takes a bit of work unless you have some of these things available in your website control panel.  (TCH has Fantastico that offers a few open source items that takes almost nothing to install).  Most of the scripts are packaged.  You load them to your website space, click and they install using settings based on what YOUR HOST requires (location of php, which is the website folder, etc).  Usually takes 5 - 20 minutes depending on script.  Then you can set your own options like colors, templates, etc.

And by the way, all these type scripts require your attention.  Check for updates, patch security issues, etc.  They do require maintenance from time to time to make sure your site remains secure from hackers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:57:02 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 10:44:34 PM »
Sami:

I went to http://www.opensourcecms.com and I looked at all of the software systems.  I downloaded Pixelpost.  I like the way it looked and I like the help better than the others.  I've been working on it all evening.... and I need to go to bed.  I'll pick up tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help.... I swear, this has my brain in a knot....  I have built quite a bit of stuff for my website and for others, but I must say this one has almost made my toss the computer out the window.... LOL

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:27:59 PM by Samrc »
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 05:36:18 AM »
Just a quick post to say I have coppermine now and although not yet integrated with my site I found it to be super simple. As soon as I installed it I had it figured out and working within about fifteen minutes. I like it.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 05:47:10 AM »
I don't know if this helps, but a really simple way to allow an anonymous person to upload an image or any attachment, is to use Coffecup Web form and add a file upload button. The web form then emails the image as an attachment.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
Etienne, Ken wanted the ability for the image to be named, resized, put into a gallery, etc so a plain upload won't work for him.  Like you, I first thought he wanted to just upload a basic image until he went into more of an explanation.

Ken, glad you found one that fits YOUR needs.  That's what I like about that site.  Lots of choices, lots to play with. and makes it much easier to make a choice!  And yes....playing and testing these scripts takes time. Learning curve can be steep when there are a ton of options in the script.  But the good thing....as you learn and play with these, the more you know and the easier it is to consider other specialized scripts! 

I am proud that you have gained enough basic knowledge to feel comfortable TRYING an advanced script!   :clapping:  I give you kudos for moving out of the comfort zone to something new!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:42:37 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:15:48 PM »
Hi All:

To all that has responded to my inquiry, I thank you.

I have beaten my head on this to long.... I'm sorry, but I give up.
I can't believe this is as easy to do as all the sites claim.  I know enough html to get by and do will with it, but this new language has stumped me.

I don't understand the terminology.... I have no idea what there talking about.

I am in awl to those who have figured this out and have it on there site....

Bless you all,

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 09:54:36 PM »
I'm looking at coppermine, and I have to admit the instructions are the best I've seen on any of the others offered.

Maybe I'll try again....................
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
I tried Pixelpost tonight.  Got 3/4 way through install within minutes.  The database responded during setup until the final configuration test. All passed except that last database connection test.  Reverified info, manually uploaded the php file.  No settings were wrong so I believe the problem is with the installation file!  I will uninstall my database and remove my folder for Pixelpost as I do not have faith in the script at this point.

GOOD....Glad you are going to try out coppermine.  Glad you are not giving up.   :clapping:
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 03:30:16 AM »
Ken, I have coppermine installed for some time. You can see it here: http://cuppladaze.com/gallery/

If you want to have a go, I will be happy to help.
Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:02 AM »
Ken, don't give up. Rick has a super site of his travels. You can do it!

Rick, long-time-no-hear. Good to see the Aussie is still around.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Sami... you got farther than I did with the instillation.  The thing the whipped me the most was the terminology used.  In many instances I was very confused.  But I find that true with most things I try to do that I've never done before.... none the less, it’s a hump to overcome with me.

Rick:  I take it that you have an uploading page that you and you alone have access to.  The person that will be using this has limited knowledge of the computer.... yeah, like I really do....  actually she’s smarter about this than I thought.... she asked me to do it.... which makes her a genius.

After looking over everything and all the choices... I'm convinced that coppermine it the best way to go.

Yes Rick, Sami I need help....

So my first question is... I upload the folder to my host as it is?  (of course take it out of the zip)  Or do I upload all the folders and files separately to my root directory.

Q2... I noticed that with pixel post it took over my domain all the while I was working on it... Is this normal untill its set in place.... Cause if that the case with coppermine I'll need to instll it some where else and move it later.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
Hi:

I've uploaded coppermine to my host.

I've been reading the README.text, and I've been able to do some of the requests.

I have done.....

Question: Where do I put all these files?
Answer: You could put them in your root directory (not recommended) or upload the coppermine directory to your website. If you are uncertain about where exactly to upload it,ask your webhost into what folder you need to upload your html and other script files. We recommend uploading the directory cpg14x (and all the files contained within) directly to your webhost's recommended folder and renaming to your liking after the upload is complete. Compare your uploaded files with your coppermine package. Make sure all the files were successfully uploaded.

Question: Ok, I uploaded everything to www.yoursite.com/cpg14x. Now what?
Answer: You need to change permissions on a few directories before you can do anything else. Using your FTP program or website Control Panel, change permissions on the: "include", "albums", "albums/userpics", and "albums/edit" directories to 777. You should also create a new directory in albums that you will FTP your images/files into (name it "uploads" or any thing that catches your fancy -just no spaces or funny diacritical symbols, please.) and set it's permissions to '777' also. Some server set-ups will not work with chmod '777'. In which case, you should use '755'. (Confused? Don't know what CHMODE is? You've been warned, need we say more?)

This I have no idea how to do....

Question: I changed the permissions. What's next?
Answer: You need to create a MySQL database. Using your website Control Panel or a tool like phpMyAdmin, create a MySQL database. Write down the database name, the username and password – you'll need it to successfully install Coppermine. If you already have a database you're using for a BBS or something else, that'll work just as well. You can use that database for Coppermine, too. If you have a BBS and plan to connect it to Coppermine install, you'll need to share the database anyway.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
GENERAL ADVICE FOR MOST EXTERNAL SCRIPTS:

Check your requirements.  Check with your host if necessary to be sure you have ALL the necessary components (PHP is the right version, image library GD, etc is installed, etc) BEFORE you start the installation.  Sometimes you think you have all the pieces and take for granted, till you REALLY look at the requirements.  Saves Headbanging   :banghead: to know in advance that YOUR host or YOUR account does not offer (fill in the blank).

Don't just drag contents of the zip file into another folder. This can sometimes mess up the order of the files.
Make sure you UNZIP then EXTRACT the contents of the zip to a folder on your hard drive.
This causes the folders and files to be put into the proper organization needed for the script.

Does your host require you to use a public website folder (often public, public_html, www, web, html, etc)?
If so, open that folder and continue.  If you do not have to use that folder, then just go to your webspace.

Using FTP software, create a new SCRIPT FOLDER on your webspace.  You put the folders and files for the script in this folder.  Don't just throw the files from the script in with your CSB built pages.  Give them a safe home on your webspace.

Call the SCRIPT FOLDER coppermine, or gallery or whatever you need to match your script.  Upload the folders and files AS IS into that coppermine folder on your webspace.  Don't rename or reorganize any of the files or folders that you place into that coppermine folder. They must remain in the original order or you will break the script!!! (I don't have the file listing...cpg14x may be a folder that is used by coppermine and it should be in the coppermine folder) This step just gets the script to your site.
-------
Gather information that the script will need so when you get to that part of the script you are ready...
Where are the things it will connect to? (your website, your folder that you stored the script in, name of database with user name/password, etc).
-------
MAKING A DATABASE.
Many scripts will NOT make the database for you but some do. Read your instructions.  If you need to make one, do it now. Coppermine does NOT make a database so you will need to make it and have it ready for the script to access it.

This depends on YOUR host. Your Settings, Your control panel options.  Your host probably offers a tutorial or video or instruction for this.  TCH offers cPANEL for our control panel and we have a simple interface to build our databases.  Some hosts I have used did not have such a nice setup!! :yes:

TCH has a tutorial for coppermine here.  http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16047
which includes a link to see a FLASH tutorial on how databases are made in cPanel.  (BTW, TCH tutorial puts all the folders/files into a folder called gallery.  My instructions say coppermine.  Same thing...Use either...your choice.)
-------
You will need to set your ACCESS for certain folders.  Take a look at your installation instructions.   Coppermine says this:
Set permissions on the "albums" and "include" folders in your Coppermine directory. Usually, you have to apply the CHMOD command, setting the permissions to 755 (or 777, depending on your server config). This step is very important and must not be overlooked!
-------
INSTALLATION/CONFIGURATION:
And finally you are ready to start your INSTALLATION.  Each script comes with an installation file, or control/admin panel that must be modified to point to YOUR installation of the script.  

Less technical scripts may not self-install. They may give you instructions to put this here, that there and offer a settings or configuration document that must have manual change made by you in an HTML/PHP editor.

Some scripts have an installation file that walks you through step by step and checks your settings and progress. (SMF forum and PixelPost have this type install files). Coppermine has one at this location:  h**p://your_domain.com/script_folder/install.php    (Pointing to your website, the folder you made to hold the script and the installation file)  Go to that page and follow the prompts...type in the information needed...

Good reference doc for coppermine: http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm

it took over my domain
Pixelpost took over your domain?  Confused by your statement.  I uploaded to a folder called pixelpost on my website. Then went to the admin panel to configure and install and configure the script. But the rest of the site was not affected. Any visitor to Samisite.com last night would not have known I was working in the background in the pixelpost directory (that I have removed from samisite.com).  So if Pixelpost took over your website, you probably put the script files in with your standard web pages.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:41:29 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 06:08:16 PM »
Hi Sami:

So if Pixelpost took over your website, you probably put the script files in with your standard web pages. 

This what I did... which lead me to my first question. 
Where do I put all these files?
  I know now what to do about that.

Right this minute I'm stuck.... cause the person I'm doing this for has changed the password on her host and didn't bother to tell me... and she has been away from her phone so I can't gt in to her host.

Which BTW is godaddy.com.

So right now I'm hangin' for awhile.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
I actually wrote my verbose answer to your earlier questions:
So my first question is... I upload the folder to my host as it is?  (of course take it out of the zip)  Or do I upload all the folders and files separately to my root directory.

Q2... I noticed that with pixel post it took over my domain all the while I was working on it... Is this normal untill its set in place.... Cause if that the case with coppermine I'll need to instll it some where else and move it later.
I posted my response only to find that you had posted again...So I tweaked my long answer to cover both posts. ;)

Sometimes the instructions provided by scripts take things for granted.  They leave out steps (make a folder named...., etc) because they assume you have already worked with advanced scripts. Unfortunately, these assumptions can leave even experienced people stumped. You have a brave spirit to dive in and give this stuff a try!

By the way, if you have a website on a LINUX server (instead of Windows Server) at godaddy.com, you have some nice options, including free software you can install....coppermine is one of them.
Add-On Applications
Are you looking for more complete Web applications to enhance your Web site? These applications make it easy to configure and add functionality to your Web pages. Setup is a snap. You can use our hosting tools to automatically install and set up these add-on applications.

So you may have something like FANTASTICO (available at totalchoicehosting.com) on your server that makes the setup easier and faster.  Look inside the CONTROL PANEL offered by godaddy before you try to do a manual installation!!!  If you are on a WINDOWS server, you will have LESS OPTIONS.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
well ok now.... and were back folks.....   She was in a meeeeeeting.... she didn't do anything the the password... got in touch with godaddy and it was a glich, so go figure.

I and she has a website on a LINUX server wih godaddy.  I'll look in godaddy's control panel.... I'll be right back.

Ken
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
Sami:

The only thing I see that might be something like what your looking for is an oline photo filter that costs $20 a year.

Is that something like FANTASTICO?

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
Nope...Fantastico is an ADD-ON shown as an icon in our control panel (cPANEL) offered by TotalChoiceHosting.com and others.  When you click our Fantastico icon, it offers a list of MANY other programs inside of it. All free of charge. The programs inside Fantastico are forums, polls, image galleries, etc.  Fantastico HELPS you to install these features.  You can see what it looks like here.

From the godaddy description of ADD ON APPLICATIONS, it sounded like they have a similar interface for you folks (I have never logged onto a godaddy server so can not speak from experience).
Add-On Applications
Are you looking for more complete Web applications to enhance your Web site? These applications make it easy to configure and add functionality to your Web pages. Setup is a snap. You can use our hosting tools to automatically install and set up these add-on applications.
Do you see anything that says ADD ON APPLICATIONS or COPPERMINE?   Maybe those items are available on a different level of hosting (they have so many variables over there).  If not, then you will need to manually install as we were discussing earlier.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:32:52 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »
Ok...FOUND IT in Godaddy..  Wow....no wonder you had a time finding it!!!
No direct route to these goodies.

From the MY ACCOUNT screen, locate the HOSTING AND EMAIL option on the menu.
Click the first item under this menu WEB HOSTING AND DATABASES.

In the section that says MANAGE HOSTING, Click OPEN under the words Control Panel
You will arrive in the HOSTING CONTROL CENTER.
[This area has your databases, and you just need to click CREATE to start that process.... but let me continue on to show you where coppermine is first..]

Click the link towards the top of the window that says GODADDY HOSTING CONNECTION.
This sends you to a page of goodies, "the home base of quick-install applications".
On the left menu click GALLERIES then COPPERMINE.
You will see an INSTALL NOW BUTTON....Click it.
Your quick install may or may not make the database for you.  (Please let us know!)
Follow the on-screen prompts.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »
WOW! OMG! WOW!
That was easy.  Thank you very much!

During the install process, I was asked to name a database.  Then of course I was asked to make a username and password.  After it was finished I went to http://www.leviteschoolofmusic.com/coppermine/index.php and that was it.  I had no idea that all that stuff was offered on godaddy.

Without sounding really stupid..... how do I upload some pictures?
I went to login expecting to have a different screen from where she would upload her pictures, but it took me back to the same page.

Also I do I make it look like the rest of her website.... to keep a since of continuity.  I want to add buttons back to her website.... etc.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  Congrats.

I had no idea that all that stuff was offered on godaddy.
That stuff is not available to the WINDOWS server users.  Only LINUX.
And I can believe that MANY people do not know it exists.  The control panel setup in GoDaddy is very convoluted, too many layers. Hidden stuff that unless you wander as I did from page to page to page to page, you would not know those items are offered.  They should make a link available on your MY ACCOUNT page directly to that list of goodies.

This info comes from TCH (slightly modified for this situation)
CONFIGURATION:
If not already logged in, please log in to your gallery at your index.php page
and when logged in, click the "Config" button.

On the configuration page you will se alot of settings, which most can be left as they are, but you should atleast enter the information for these 4 fields:
Gallery name
Gallery description
Gallery administrator email
It is also time to enter the Imagemagick path.  at TCH it is: /usr/local/bin/ (Near the end of the page)  but I don't know about godaddy.

Coppermine Photo Gallery already includes some themes but there is nothing that says you can not create your own theme or modify an existing one. There is also several other ones available for download at the Coppermine website.

Uploading photos:
To upload you photos, please do as following:
- Click on "Categories".
- In field "Category title" enter the desired name for the category (Required).
- In field " Category description" enter a desired description (Optional).
- Click Update/Create category.
- Click Albums.
- Scroll down until you see "New" and click it.
- In the empty field just above "Apply...", please enter your desired "Album name".
- Click "Apply modifications".
- Please click "Upload file" near the top of page.
- You will now see a page with 2 upload areas. The first one is for uploading photos from your own computer and the other is for uploading from the web. In this tutorial we upload from the computer.
- Click add files (or what it says in your language).
- Find your photo on your computer and then click "Continue".
- If the upload was successfull, you will see a page saying "Successful Uploads # uploads were successful.".
- Click "Continue" to have the photos placed in to the albums you created before.
- Choose which album to place the photos in.
- Enter File title, File description and Keywords if you want..
- Click "Continue" until you are taken back to your gallery index.

Ok you are installed.
But make sure you are UPDATED and patched so your site is not compromised!!!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:32:43 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
Sami:

apparently I didn't do something right.... although I thought I had.  Soooooooooooo I thought I should uninstall my earlier attempt from my directory just incase I had done something wrong..... then I reintalled it.... no problem yet.

Then I tried to bring up the http and the page was no longer available..... no problem..... Sooooooooooooo I went back to godaddy and went through the install process again........  OK   Huston we have a problem..... I now have to instances of coppermine.....  OK delete the first one but now the second one says its not installed correctly.   

I'm going to delete everything and start over.  I'll be back..............

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:16:53 PM by Bighousedaddy »
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
OK were back...........

I don't see anything that say config....

http://leviteschoolofmusic.com/coppermine/index.php
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
Hate to go to the obvious... >:D

Click LOGIN then sign into your admin panel using your user name and password.

If you do not have a header that looks like this one, you are not seeing the current page.
Set your browser to check FOR NEW PAGE ON EACH VISIT in Tools, Options.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:31:53 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
This is what I have

I have deleted all my cookies.... with not luck....

I have looked in my internet options to check FOR NEW PAGE ON EACH VISIT.... Me and a freind can't locate it.... I've seen it once before, but now I don't.  I'm using internet exployer.

I feel like a boob.......... I'm sorry for the trouble....... You are wonderful for helping me so much.

Ken aka Bifgousedaddy <><
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:50:01 PM by Bighousedaddy »
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
This is from FAQ in coppermine

I can't login to Coppermine. What's wrong?
This is most likely a cookie issue:

If you're running Internet Explorer 6, you'll have to enable the acceptance of cookies. Click on "Tools" - "Internet Options" - "Privacy" and add your site to the list of sites that are trusted, or set the slider to a lower level.
Sometimes IE will not handle Cookies properly. Close your browser, try deleting all local cookies manually and start your browser again
Check if you're running a software that interferes with acceptance of cookies like personal firewalls (ZoneAlarm, Tiny, Cookie Washer etc.) and turn them off to see if cookies are accepted then
Try using another browser (like Opera, which is rather small to download and can be removed easily). It's a generally a good idea to have some different browsers on your local machine to check if your site is displayed correctly not only in your favourite browser
If you're using subdomains and the dev version of coppermine or some mod on a different subdomain (like gallery.yoursite.com and board.yoursite.com) this could also cause problems: a subdomain is a different domain (in fact foo.com and bar.com are subdomains of the tld ".com", so regarding cookies they are as different domains as bbs.yoursite.com and comics.yoursite.com). Of course you can "hack some sense" into the scripts, but usually bbs are hard to trick to make them more hack-proof.
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »
I'm doing my happy dance....   :clapping: :hapscream:  I'm in......

Turned off my firewall, and I'm in....... :clapping:

What a day......
<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
Just getting started, but so far so good.....

Take a look....

http://leviteschoolofmusic.com/coppermine/index.php

This working fine....

Sami, I owe you BIG time...... I think I can handle it now.   But that could change.

Thank you for your time, your time, and more time you spent on this.

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
I am SOOOOO THRILLED for you!!!   :hearts:
 :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie:  :kickdancing: :boogie:

So glad you did not give up and walk away.  
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

So glad you went to coppermine FAQ...
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

You done good!   :yes:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I HAVE THIS WEBSITE!
There's a terrific RUSH when we help someone say: GOT IT!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
Hi to all:

Well after much laborious attempts I was able to install a photo gallery to my website.
Let me say, that in retrospect it was very easy.  I would encourage anyone desiring to install something like Coppermine on their website to do so.

The mistakes I made I would have to contribute to myself and my computer, and not the fault of the software.

Knowing how to install anything has a learning curve, and as with any curve you have to go uphill first before you can go down hill.  It knowing what button to click.

All in all, I learned a lot, and I will do it again.

Thanx to all that helped me….. And a special thanx to Sami.  Maybe some of you don’t know it, but your website exists because of Sami… I know mine does.  Thank you, Sami

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
I also want to add that there are hundreds of themes all over the net.  I'm sure you can find one the fit you fancy.

Here is just one link that has the mother load of themes.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=81&pid=628&slideshow=5000

<>< Bighousedaddy

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
Thank you for the kind words.  :-[   :hearts:
I am but one of several people that have assisted and coached folks over the years.  My website just happens to be the last active support site.  KW and Curtis still have theirs posted but do not actively participate with the website, product or the forums anymore.

Installing scripts can be a struggle!
Especially if you 1) are new at it and 2) you have to start from scratch.
You were lucky that your host offers a quick-install for that script. But not scripts are offered and certainly not all hosts have those options!  When you have to do all of it by yourself, it is more time consuming and can be scary. But in the end, whether you quick-install or do it from scratch, it is worth the effort!!!

I MUST STRESS THAT EVERY ONE OF THESE TYPE SCRIPTS NEEDS MAINTENANCE.  MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR SCRIPT UPDATED!  These scripts can be compromised and will require patches.  Don't forget to check it out!!!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
Nice reference page. :-) GLAD YOU GOTER ER DONE!  Yeah, Sammy see what GoDaddy is like? Now you know why I moan about it so much. lol I look forward to using the coppermine when I get the site revision going. I have thought of lots of things to use it for now.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment