Author Topic: FTP software  (Read 4712 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
FTP software
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »
TONS of FTP software with a variety of functions.

For 6 years I was a user of WSFTP for most of my FTP work. Solid Stable and Reliable.
Didn't upgrade because it still worked fine.

Used CoreFTP Lite, a lovely free FTP software to assist folks and give them basic FTP functionality and would highly recommend it!

For the past month, I have been using CuteFTP Pro 8 and finally purchased it to replace my old WSFTP.
Deciding factor:  MACROS!   :boogie: :kickdancing: :boogie:

I was able to quickly set up standard upload functions that used to take me TIME. 
Simple to record which files I want (no coding necessary), and where they should go. 
Connect to site run macro and get out!   :kickdancing: 
For people that need to periodically update a website with the newer versions of files, this is a wonderful feature. So far I have 5 macros for my most used standard uploads and I LOVE IT. Worth the price of the software for the time and aggravation saved! 
(Example Macro: 8 files to be uploaded.  These files are each stored in different source folders on our server and each is being sent to a different destination folder!  I am no longer going up and down through file trees! The program does it for me. Sometimes I need to run this twice a day, sometimes I run it every other day, as needed.)
 :clapping:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:49:44 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
Re: FTP software
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
i have used the same wsftp program that I have had since around 1999! lol I figure why change when it works great .. I mean you can open windows for files and drop stuff in there under your choice of file types.. what esle do I need? if it ain't broke don't fix it right?
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
Yup that was MY thinking too.  :yes: 
But now that I FINALLY got around to getting newer software, I have the ability to see thumbnails on the web server, can directly edit a file, and best of all for me, the MACROS!!!   :hearts:  One of the macros saves me about 10 minutes each time I use it!  :kickdancing:  WORTH THE PURCHASE!
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Global Moderator
  • I Dare to Dream!
    • InspirationMotivation.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
macros... now there is a bit of computing I never got around to really utilizing... sigh.. I like the edit idea Sammy.. well if I ever actually need a ftp program more than a few times a year I will think about switching.
Success is a way of life found moment by moment

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »
I use macros in word, excel and now in ftp.  LOVE THEM!  :hearts:
Especially when I can simply record my keystrokes, the file and folder names and   I do the action once and save it.  Then play it back when I need it!  WONDERFUL.  I am sure that some other Pro FTP programs have this function too but since I could TEST it fully in the 30 day trial with GS's CuteFTP, they got the first opportunity to impress me!
-Samantha