Author Topic: Keeping software up to date  (Read 3794 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Keeping software up to date
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:36:19 AM »
I recently updated some software and the update link took me to: h**p://www.filehippo.com/

They have tons of 'free' updates and even have a software program that checks your PC to see if you have the latest. I have never used this type of system because I'm a control freak and want to know 'wasup' but I think the software will tell you before updating.

???   Anyone know if it does?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Keeping software up to date
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:31:19 AM »
There were two threads in this area that I had not seen until tonight.    :v8slap:
Sorry for no earlier response!!!

I don't use update checker type software.  Don't use the registry cleaners either.
Have had to clean up messes for other people that used program checkers that pulled in hardware drivers and software updates that did not work well with the equipment.  Sometimes broke things that worked fine before the "fixes". 

Symantec/Norton gives filehippo.com a clean rating so that is great!  Had not used it before but I have bookmarked it for future use. Thanks for sharing it.
A couple reviews about the site: 

"Download site for software - similar to download.com, softpedia etc. All software is tested and spyware/virus free. Offers a very nifty freeware tool that scans your PC for updates."

"Really safe downloading site. Caution for only their own "Update Checker" as it incudes itself in Start-up programs of Windows. If removed, it comes back again whenever its run next. Though it may be convenient and many people may like it, too many Start-up progams may also slow down one's computer."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:36:24 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Keeping software up to date
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:12:18 AM »
My pleasure.
:dogwalksm: Ed