Author Topic: Site down  (Read 3683 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Site down
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »
For a short time today Samisite.com (and the forum) were interrupted by a hacker that hit all of the TCH hosted websites. 

TCH responded quickly to stop the "defacement" attack replacing index.php in all folders. used yesterday's backups to reset sites across the server field and get us back and working.  All the while they kept us up to date on the progress in a section of the family forum.

Every host gets attacked.  But not every host responds this fast, with outstanding communication to the clients.  It is why I STILL recommend TotalChoiceHosting.com for website hosting after all these years.

:clapping: :clapping:

What the hacker posted
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
    • Bushtrack Web Creations
Re: Site down
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
Normally I am a supporter of TCH, but this time I can't agree with you Sami. I received no notification from TCH, and all of my sites are currently down. If you had not posted about it, I would not have known.

Rick
:rick:  Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »
I fixed it myself by uploading a new index.htm to all of my sites.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
They reloaded from backups as all servers were attacked.  And emails were down longer and had separate maintenance done.

There was notification on the TCH family forum, I subscribe to
and get an email with subject:  Your daily new topics digest

I follow this forum topic: 
Latest Hosting News - Latest announcements from our support team!
http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=12

I highly recommend that you sign into that forum and follow that specific topic and the topics set up any server that contains your sites too.  I get notified when any one of the followed topics is updated. (Maintenance, downtime, changes and it is very helpful!   

They notify of major interruptions like that.  And they often have an open thread that they want input from users while they are working on the problem.  They did yesterday too!  Very good.  Only host I know that does it.

Dear TCH Family,

At around 9:30AM EST today, we identified a website defacement attack effecting a large number of our customers. We are still investigating, but it appears the attack was targeted at index.php files. We are currently looking at this to determine the extent of the defacement.

I will update you shortly.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this very serious matter.

Later in thread....
Please follow our up to the minute details on this post:
h***p://www.totalchoi...id=250143&st=0

You can see what content you are "following" by going to this page: 
http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed
*gotta be signed in to see

Might I suggest following these forums for great notification:
Latest Hosting News
TCHNOC Network Maintenance
TCHNOC General Announcements
Support Announcements
And each of your servers too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:20:20 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• China Tour Guide
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
I don't agree Sami. If they have a major prolonged outage, they should advise all customers immediately by email. They don't have any problem to send an account every month!

Even if the email is also out, they have an alternative email for customers.

Rick

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
ok.  I understand your position.

I guess it depends on your experience and preferences.
I have dealt with so many hosts that do not notify clients in any way, email, forum, newsletter, anything. Then deny the issue when the site miraculously reappears. No...we had no problem on our end.  Must be you.  Can't tell you how many host have done that little frustrating dance!  :banghead:

To me, the fact that TCH discusses it publicly is a positive benefit. I follow the threads that mean the most to me so I don't have to go to the forum unless there is an issue. And because I do follow certain threads on the forum I DO receive an email notification about server problems. Works well for me.  Can set how often i get notified (every post or once a day).  I like the updates on the problem, and prefer the forum method.  Even when they do server updates/migrations they are discussed on the forums so you have a better idea when your site will be live again. 

If you were subscribed to follow the forums you would also get email notification right away.  I guess that is the primary form of communication and you would prefer direct notice without having any forum subscriptions.  And i don't think they have done that for years.
-Samantha