Author Topic: Error 500  (Read 4492 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
Error 500
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a problem when I try to upload my files to my server.  I've double checked that all my information is correct (username & password, etc.).

I get the following error, on my Windows Vista machine:

Error deleting 'public_html/0' on FTP Server at ftp.5stardreams.com

And it gives me an error 500.  I looked up error 500 and it says to check it to Passive Mode, which I did, and I still receive the same issue.

Anyone know anything that could help?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Error 500
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:07:56 PM »
500?  not 501 or 550?
hmmmmmm  The only host that has reported this before was Tripod/Lycos.  And they had constant connectivity issues. Usually it was on the HOST side!  Often could not support long-term connections. Reported for YEARS!

Yes changing the mode (from passive or to passive by checking or unchecking the Passive box in Publishing Options) often fixes this but not always.
The actual notice is Syntax error, command unrecognized, command line too long
http://kb.globalscape.com/article.aspx?id=10142

500 is a generic notice.  Can also means invalid port command.
- Is your host still using port 21?  Or have they changed a setting at their end?  If they are not listening on port 21, you will need to adjust that in your publishing options.
- Are you connecting to the appropriate folder?  CSB can not change folders and must enter the EXACT folder that holds your web files. The host may have changed how folders are defined.  (I had a host go from no special ftp folder to implementing "web" folder and did not tell the webmasters until they called in!  All our files were moved to the "web" folder and suddenly CSB could not publish...Checked heirarchy of site, put web into the publishing options and it was resolved.)
- Check your firewall.  Make sure you have two way communication for CSB.  Full rights in and out are necessary for publishing.

Have you tried connecting to your host in any other way?  Using FTP program?  Input the same exact settings into an FTP program and see if you are able to connect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:34:30 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )