Author Topic: Xara Web Designer vs Xara Designer Pro  (Read 7898 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Xara Web Designer vs Xara Designer Pro
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
Ok.... Xara has changed the product lines and changed the names too!  :v8slap:
As of the latest release in June 2010, these are the three main graphic products from Xara:
Though I currently have all three editions, I will now only update the PRO version #3.

1) If you want a decent vector graphic/photo program:  
      Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6  (XPGD) (Formerly known as Xara, Xara Xtreme. last version XX5)
      This product is about $90, less if you upgrade from previous version.

2) If you want a decent web builder:
      Xara Web Designer 6    (XWD)  (Current version XWD6)
      It is around $50. XWD6 has been reviewed fully in another thread.
      I liked it a lot and expect that many CSB users will like using this product.

3) If you want BOTH 1) vector graphic/photo program AND 2) Web builder AND more advanced abilities for each of those, the PRO version XDP6 combines the two lighter programs into one well integrated program.
      Xara Designer Pro 6  (XDP) (Formerly known as Xara Xtreme Pro, last version XXP5)
       This version is about $300, less if you upgrade from earlier version
       If you upgrade to this version, you do not need either of the lighter versions!
       Pro includes all the features of the other two, PLUS:
          * Shortcut key configuration  (speed up favorite functions)
          * Color Separation Support    (for professional printing projects)
          * PANTONEĀ® color support    (for professional printing projects)
          * PDF/X export    (for professional printing projects and Illustrator support)
          * XPS Support  (Microsoft's answer to Adobe pdf, vector based)
          * Multi-core processors  (even faster if you have multi-core processors!)
          * HD Photo import  (Windows Media Photo)
          * Panorama Studio  (Quickly stitch your photos into long panoramas!)
          * HTML Website Creation
          * Navigation bars & menus   (builit in menu bars for your web pages, no separate program needed)
          * Widget Support  (ebay, google, weather, etc like the old Trellix webgems)
          * Pop-Ups and Slideshows

From the Xara site:  http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/advanced/
"Xara Designer is simply the best graphics software for all your drawing and photo design needs, ideal for both print and the web.
   If you're looking for drawing software then Designer is a perfect solution for everything from simple logos to astonishingly detailed illustrations.
   If you're working with photos then Designer will match your ambitions from simple one click auto-enhance of your photo through to awesome photo compositions.
   If you are looking for software for creating web graphics then Designer can help you produce all the graphics you'll need for your site, from smart buttons to eye catching Flash animations. And with Designer Pro you can even produce complete HTML web pages and sites."

I hate the full price of the XDP, PRO version for first time users. Wow! What a chunk of money to put out at once.
Then I think about what you get with it:
Vector program it compares with: Illustrator CS4 cost: was $600, now $581.37 at amazon.com now that CS5 is out OR Corel Draw $500, professional quality vector programs for professional printing projects
PLUS photo tools of Paint Shop Pro  photo abilities $60-$80
PLUS panorama photo stitching $30-$50 depending on program
PLUS animated gif software (since Paint Shop Pro no longer supports it) $20-$50 depending on program
PLUS basic flash software $30  XDP has about 1/ the abilities of Swish MiniMax3 at $60
PLUS better than basic 3d extrusion of vector graphics   $25-$50 depending on program
PLUS desktop publisher program Anything you can do in Publisher is possible in this program! v2007: $148
PLUS website building software  CSB was $50, XWD is $50/Site Spinner $50 or Site Spinner Pro $100
PLUS. wonderful featuresnot in any other software, Like:
- Speed is AMAZING. Adobe and Corel products can not compare for speed of rendering!
- The Layers go down to individual object/item on the layer making it simple to find/identify/fix problems.
So when you consider the sum of it's parts this one program XDP Pro at $300 is a great bang for the buck
I have used many programs over the years for all these purposes.
And I have used Xara's Pro software for all these purposes. Over the years, I have turned to Xara's product more and more. It has become the favorite "DESIGN" software, hands-down. Interface is clean and the easy to see/use.
Menus make sense. The program uses the same techniques whether you are using the photo, or vector or web design areas. Once you learn how to use a tool, you have learned it for all aspects of the program.

All in all, the PRO version is my favorite since it fits EVERY aspect of design, and does it well.
Only one program to upgrade going forward.   :TUP:  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:23:27 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Xara Web Designer vs Xara Designer Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:18:34 AM »
UPDATE:   Version 7 has been released for the Xara lines and the two I recommend most are:

Xara Web Design Premium (XWDP7)    (don't bother with the non-premium version)

Xara Designer Pro (XDP7)  (the all-inclusive program)

MY comparison chart is here:  http://www.awebwench.com/recommended.htm
recommendation link is the bottom line of the chart.

Both have new features. Both are BETTER than version 6!
Version 7 is REALLY a good update!

:clapping: :TUP: :clapping:
more details will be posted later
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:25:48 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Checking the place out
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
Got Xara Web Designer 7 Premium recently on Samantha's recommendation and it is FABULOUS!

Definitely a major upgrade to CSB in almost every way.

I do miss the site map in CSB, which made is so easy to visualize the site layout.

And I miss the sequences, they made it easy to give site visitors a site map to all of the content. We have a lot of different topics on some of our sites.

Other than that, Xara is definitely much better than CSB.

Like any new program, it takes time to get get used to it. For instance, if you want to insert html code in CSB, you go to the menu and get a box where you insert the code, then you select a palceholder.

In Xara it is just the opposite: First you select a placeholder and put it on the web page. Then you Select the placeholder and go to the menu and paste the code into the box.

Or... just paste the code onto the page! That's what I did with a flash video... and it worked. The video shows up before I publish the site.

I love it.

Thanks Samantha.

Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
So glad you like it.  Of all the programs I have tested, the Xara options are the only ones that gave me that "WOW!" that I first got from CSB/Trellix.

I miss tables in it.  But since you can build a table in something else (word) and paste in that code it is not a huge problem.

You can make a page that illustrates the map. Can even use the same little graphics that CSB uses to create it and link the images to your real pages. But it is not automatic like CSB.  You can make pages link in sequence order, but not automatically.  I miss those features too. BUT with everything else we gain.... it might be a good trade off for smallish sites.
-Samantha