Author Topic: Which web site builder software has an integrated menu builder?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Which web site builder software has an integrated menu builder?
« on: November 10, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
I'm used to Allweb Menu builder but it can be a challenge to align the menus on 200 pages with many template set-ups. I've been looking at all great posts about web site building software on SWCF. Are there any that include a drop down menu similar to Likno's Allweb and that works similar to CSB 5 that can handle about 200 pages? Site Spinner and Xara seem to be favorites. I don't want anything as complicated as Dream Weaver or Frontpage. Something quick and easy.
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Which web site builder software has an integrated menu builder?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Yep.

XARA Design Pro is the full web and photo design program.
XARA Web Designer MX PREMIUM (v8) (or previous version XARA Web designer Premium (v7))
Simple XARA comparison here.
GREAT software. Easy to learn. Fast to build and fun factor too. Includes easy menus, buttons, templates, flash, animation, widgets.  No tables.  Don't bother with less than premium web designer.
Simple video about the built-in nav bars 7.8mb
Has a free trial of course but if you like and buy by Nov 20,  "Buy Web Designer or Web Designer Premium and get Xara 3D Maker 7 completely free, worth $39.99! Excludes upgrades.
Offer ends 20th November 2012"   
Several styles built-in, drag and drop from the design list.
my aWebWench.com website is Xara built with built-in menus.

Site Spinner Pro has built-in menus too.
I prefer Xara. It feels like CSB moved forward. 

200 pages may be a problem in XARA depending on content.  Xara does a good job of compressing the file but still that's a lot in one file.
Workaround if you can't fit all in one file: You could split it into more than one xara file.  Build one then copy and build more.  The menus for the second and third xara files would be identical EXCEPT they would need to have true full URL links not relative so they point to the same pages. And the second and third xara files would have to have the "home page" named something else (doable).
Are all the 200 pages in the same directory?  Heavy with text or pictures? 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:49:24 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
The pages are light, short, and mostly text. Your WebWench site design is beautiful  :TUP:. The text may be a bit small for an old-timer like me, but that's what Command+ is for. I'm also looking at WordPress. It is more CMS oriented than design oriented. If I do go the Xara route I will definitely buy via: h**p://www.awebwench.com.

For Mac users that use iWeb, there are rumors are that iWeb may be discontinued, see: h**p://www.iwebunlimited.com

Thanks for your reply and take care.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:14 AM »
I Found this:
Yes you will still be able to use iWeb and continued building all those sites.
You don’t need to change to a different website builder. If you have iWeb on your computer, you will be able to continue to use it. 
-------
If you are getting your new computer soon, you can still use iWeb. I think you just need to buy the iLife disc which should contain iWeb on it.
-------
Apple is most likely not going to update iWeb, BUT this doesn’t mean that it ceases to exist. You will still be able to use iWeb as long as you have it on your computer. You can buy a new computer in one year, and while iWeb won’t be on it, you will most likely still be able to install iWeb. So I would say use iWeb if it makes sense for you.
It is CSB all over again for apple folks. It will work, but not be supported or updated.

By the Way, Xara is PC not mac as far as I know.
(Glad you liked aww site.  Purple and green again, how boring.   :D)

If you are considering WordPress, you might want to look at GLFusion.  Lee (a former CSB user) highly recommends the program.  Read his forum posts here:  http://samisite.com/forum/index.php?topic=727.0
I want to play with it but have not had the time (gracious it has been a tight year!)

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »
AWW is not boring at all. The colors match very well.

I had a look at GLFusion. It looks impressive. One thing that's odd, is there is a download button, but I can't find the system requirements for the download anywhere (not in the download page, Quick Start, or detailed GLDocumentation) so one can't see if it is Windows, Mac, browser add-on, or what. The Demo button allows for an online login, but where to find the templates if any. I did find the system requirements in the detailed manual for Apache, SQL etc. GLFusion looks more like a forum, similar to SMF, and there are widgets as in WordPress.

I'm trying out WordPress. No download as the CMS is administered and created in an online browser. WordPress has a free blog style version, and in no time I had three test pages published. There is a paid, $99 pro version. Maybe the paid version is not online, still figuring out. If you want your own domain instead of a free wordpress extended name, $12. Fees are per year.

Also researching Google's Blogger. Some small companies are using it as their web site and doing amazing things. Facebook also has company pages.

The cheese never stands still.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
I have used blogger for years.  It is acceptable as basic blogging, but I would not use it for more than that. Formatting is more rigid.

Wordpress can be installed&hosted on your own website server, and use your own domain name.  Or use their server and hosted site builder app.  Two totally different ways to build.  Own server you have more control, can move to different host.
Look for Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com as they are different.

Yes, I am still in the maze, trying to locate that good cheese since the last couple feeding stations went bad.  Bring on good cheese.  I am hungry!   :yes:

-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Me too. I have been out of the maze :hapscream:. Problem is ???, the cheese :cake: does not last long enough :ss-shocked: and I have to return to find more :banghead:. Making a plan :read: to search :borgie: for some now :luck:.