Author Topic: How do I delete website?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline hidden

• ???
How do I delete website?
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »
 ??? i have a question. Does this site have anything where we can "ask sami?" because i want to build a pop up message that block people out untill a certian time. I also have a Website i want to delete. how do i delete it?  :-\ :help:

Offline hidden

• The Fisherman
  • Global Moderator
    • Jigs Fishing Lures
Re: How do I delete website?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
easy Sami... easy.  :yes:

Hi Howat, welcome to the forum.

Tony
Anyone who has never owned a dog can't know what loving and being loved mean- ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER 

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  I took your post out of the INTRODUCTIONS area and put it into the GENERAL discussion area for now since you did not say what software you are using to build your website.

Does this site have anything where we can "ask sami?"
Sure.  The WHOLE site is an Ask Sami!  :yes:  The tutorials throughout samisite.com were made in response to questions people have asked on this forum and the GlobalSCAPE CSB forum.

By posting on the forum, you are getting to me AND better yet, you get access to other experienced users of CSB and other web building software.

i want to build a pop up message that block people out untill a certian time. I also have a Website i want to delete. how do i delete it? 

You can check with your host to do one of two things:
1) have them reset the account to empty, to start from scratch.  Most are willing to do this upon request.   OR:
2) have your host tell you which files/folders are the standard basic setup for the account and then YOU can use an FTP software to connect to your host and grab files, delete them.  Read about using an FTP program here. Simple to do.  You can remove .htm, .html files, images, etc..  Just avoid the folders/files they gave you originally (cgi-bin, etc). 

As to the POPUP window.....NAH... You don't want to do that.   :noshake:
Instead, go low-tech and simple and avoid problems with popup blockers. Make a new index.htm page (home page) that says Thanks for visiting.  The site is down until (date), please check back...etc  Upload the page to your site to replace the existing home page.

WARNING:  You may lose your ranking on search engines.  If you have incoming links from websites that send visitors to pages that NO LONGER EXIST the search engines will pull your rankings down.  If you are on a LINUX server, you can make a file (.htaccess) that redirects all your incoming traffic to your new temporary home page so all the links will not be broken....
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

genroxbro

How do I delete website
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
Hi  Im brand new to website building. BRAND NEW Ive finally got Joomla onto Just Host and now Im ready to build my site.

I did something on Sections and Categories last week...and now I cant figure out how to get back there. I want to start building my site. Can you help me figure out how to start with templates?  

Your help is SOOOOOO appreciated
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:29:17 AM by Samrc »

Offline hidden

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:52:13 AM »
try contacting your web host, to delete your website

danieljones2006

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
HI,
This is not a just simple process.. if you have own website then you have rights to delete them otherwise you cant

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 07:36:51 PM »
Very gGood point. It was assumed but never mentioned and should have been. :TUP:

Welcome to the forum! :welsign:
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )