Author Topic: Preview CSB5 to Subdirectory [Settings]  (Read 5115 times)

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
Preview CSB5 to Subdirectory [Settings]
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
Hi everyone ~

For the first time ever, I'm going to start a new CSB/tlx file for my periodic newsletter, which I want to publish to a subdirectory so-named. In viewing the tutorial at Sami's publish page [ h**p://www.samisite.com/publish/ ] it states that I must check a box under the HTML options tab to store the html files locally to preview, then go back in and uncheck this box before publishing.

That sounds like a pain in the butt, :yuck: and really easy to forget to do.

I'm really hoping that's still not true for CSB5 - is it??  And, if it is still true - why is that required?

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Re: Preview CSB5 to Subdirectory [Settings]
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
Ok.... You are mixing apples and oranges.  Lets see if we can sort your salad into the proper fruit bins!  :D

1) SUBDIRECTORIES:  Go to this page.  You will see that you check a box in the publishing area for SUBDIRECTORY and fill in a directory name.  The screen shot of this field is shown here for quick reference.  This box REMAINS CHECKED so every time you publish you ALWAYS publish that specific tlx design file to that specific place.  Each subdirectory has it's own tlx design file and each has the box checked with a different subdirectory name shown.

IF YOU UNCHECK THIS BOX, your tlx file will overwrite your existing home (main) directory of the site so it REMAINS checked.

2) LOCAL HTML FOLDER:   Known issue in CSB4 and CSB 5
This field is not for subdirectories.  It is assigned in each of your tlx files.
This field is designed to allow you to specify WHERE you have your preview files stored.  When you PREVIEW this actually creates a local copy of all website pages that CSB creates from this tlx file.  2 good reasons to use this:
- you have a copy of everything sent to your website
- you (and others at your company if stored/previewed on a shared computer location) can view your website. I use this PREVIEW to produce an in-house website for the company I work for.  And I use another tlx design file to create a CD, portable website version!
- If need be, you can use FTP software to upload your website changes using the preview copies!

But you do not HAVE to preview before publishing.  You might do this only once in a while. NOT every time you make changes!

Working on a new subdirectory is simple.  Publish directly to it and don't place a link to it until you have something worth seeing!  Use it as your preview.  Since only YOU know that the page exists, others will not see it until you provide a link from some other page.

You must uncheck this box when you publish the tlx file to the website or you may see HTML-obj and other folders/files being REMOVED from your site during the publishing process. 
This hiccup only affects the EXTRA stuff on the website not the basic HTML pages and images. 
IE: missing sound files, etc. 
If you use INSERT > HTML and attach a file to that using the WEBCOMPONENTS feature, or use a captured resource, etc. 
If you do not use any of those extra features, you can leave your box checked all the time.

Special VISTA NOTE:  You can not publish a tlx file without first doing a preview to a folder you define in this field.  CSB can not preview to the tempoary files in VISTA like you can in other Windows OS.  But after assigning it once, the file works like normal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:13:46 PM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »

If you use INSERT > HTML and attach a file to that using the WEBCOMPONENTS feature, or use a captured resource, etc. 
If you do not use any of those extra features, you can leave your box checked all the time.

My "Enter FTP Site Information is AOK.
My Publish Website URL shows exactly where I want the newsletter to go.
My Host Setup is checkmarked to publish to subdirectory and its name is: newsletter
I don't have any stuff beyond HTML and graphics - no music, video, faeries, bvd's, HTML-obj's or WEBCOMPONENTS.
I'm on XP/SP2.

So, I believe I'm good to go; that I can leave the local HTML folder checkmarked.

I wonder why I can't have a folder already named "newsletter" as a subdirectory; but, I'll move the contents elsewhere, delete it, and just let CSB5 recreate it, and publish it.

Thanks SO MUCH for answering in such a detailed format.

~Cheryl

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »
I wonder why I can't have a folder already named "newsletter" as a subdirectory; but, I'll move the contents elsewhere, delete it, and just let CSB5 recreate it, and publish it.

CSB likes to make its own subdirectory, to have record of it, but it is NOT essential. 
It WILL publish to a subdirectory you already have but it WILL overwrite the contents of it.
If that is not a problem then go ahead.  :yes:

-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Auxilary Member
  • Big Cat Lover
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »
Just a quick follow-up.... in updating my main site today, and viewing the preview, I noticed all my custom-designed arrows and buttons were missing!! Now, did creating the newsletter yesterday to a different subdirectory have anything to do with the disappearance of those buttons???

Perhaps only da' shadow knows for sure. rofl

Thanks again for your help.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
arrows and buttons....Missing files.... HMMMM.....
Sounds just like when your CHECKBOX for local HTML folder is checked!   ;)

If the buttons are made by CSB in the graphical interface, they WILL be removed from the site when that box is checked!  Why?  because they are stored in HTMLobj- folders!  Right click the image (or  :ximage: x to see the properties.  Look at the address for the image. Graphical buttons made in CSB 5 are uploaded to addresses like this:   h**p://www.yourdomain.com/HTMLobj-321/h.jpg

Try unchecking and publishing again.  Do they reappear?   Probably so.
If not, then you have a different issue to resolve.
There are OTHER issues that can interfere but lets first rule out the most likely....
-Samantha