Author Topic: Construction Supplies - Southeast  (Read 7485 times)

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
  • Not a geek. Just a Nerd.
    • CSB Tutorials
Construction Supplies - Southeast
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
This website is for a multi-branch, multi-state construction supply distributor.
http://www.tuckerkirby.com

Small website built with CSB5 with a few notable features:
- Dynamic menus from Xara Webstyle (MenuMaker) (color modified in PSP)
- flash made in XARA Xtreme 4 Pro
- weather forecast widgets from weatherunderground for three cities
- form to webmaster in iframe in left border, free form built and processed by emailmeform.com
- Lists of products and manufacturers with search and alpha links (non-database) in framed pages

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:58:47 AM by Samrc »
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
Re: Construction Supplies - Southeast
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »
Hi Sami,

A few observations from my side of the globe:

The page background wraps on a wide screen.
No weather forecast widgets are showing, also not a place holder. Are they on the home page?

Everything else is good. Flash is very fast and smooth. What happened to ZonkBoard? Which is better?
:dogwalksm: Ed

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
1) Page background.  AH... I should put a no repeat code.  Thanks.  What resolution are you set to?
2) Weather forecast widgets are hidden.   >:D   Nah.  You have to go to the MAPS page and you will see them to the left of the drawn maps.  (not on the printable copies)
3) Glad you like the flash.  For that type of flash, I like XARA better than Swish family
4) What happened to ZonkBoard? Which is better?   I don't understand the question.
Are you asking why I posted a webmaster form vs instead of a zonkboard on that site?
EASY.  They have totally different purposes for totally different types of communication.
Zonkboard (like on the samisite.com home page) is designed for public comment. Postings for the most part STAY on the board for others to see and comment.  Lovely way to get a shout out from a passing visitor. Friendly and shows others that people visit and use the site.  Also its a great way to allow your visitors to pose a question and provide a quick answer that you want others to see. Like a FAQ iframe.
EMAIL FORM sent only to the webmaster allows users to report bugs, request features, communicate with the builder of the site about the site.  If visitors need to purchase something, they are given MANY contact phone, fax and cell numbers to do so, none of which contact the site builder. In this case, communication with the site builder is emergency only, and should not be public.  If someone reports a bug on the site, I don't want that to be left on the screen for every visitor after that to see.
-Samantha
TNG: "Sometimes, you can make no mistakes, do everything right, and still lose" - Capt Picard to Data
(:turtle: In memory of Turtle: May 22, 1944 - Nov 24, 2007  GURU, mentor, and really nice guy! :turtleleft: )

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »
1) The res. varies depending on what I'm doing but I browsed at 1280 or 1600. Most computers are still on 800 and 1024 so it will not be visible to them.
2) They're there and OK.
4) Yes, I didn't think of the practicalities. Cool form!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »
1) I pulled in the background image for that site to see what is loaded to the web.  Hear images on that site are Image is 1280 wide.  How can you be getting a wrap effect  ???
4) Thanks.  I think that form is cool.  When you complete it, the response page loads into the same iframe, my preferred way to handle forms.
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »
The 'Tuck' and logo show on the right of my screen because the green horizontal color pic does not have a wide enough res.

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
The header is ONE image.  LOGO, Tucker Kirby and the green bar are all one piece, 1280 wide.  If your screen is repeating, you need an image that is WIDER than 1280.  So I modified it...Now is 1920 wide!  No repeat!
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
Perfect!

Offline hidden

• Sami
  • Administrator
    • CSB Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
 :D
-Samantha

Offline hidden

• Expert Member
  • LaughLots
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:24 AM »
 :flowers: